What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2007

Disco

Bench
I think Asotasi and Kidwell are the key signings, and to an extent Widders

An improved pack will lead to a competitive team, wont make the 8 but probably 10-12th

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
For the first time since 1999 we will have a roster that somewhat resembles an NRL standard. We will have a team that can go into every game with a chance of winning (as is the case with all teams). That alone (as the last couple of seasons has proved) is enough to give us a chnace for the 8. With our roster we are probably with about 8 other teams that might finish 7-8th or come last. In the NRL circa 2004-7, injuries are always the key.

Quidgybo

Bench
For those predicting Souths to avoid the spoon which teams do you see as certain of finishing below the "new" Souths? I think Souths will be much improved and generally a reasonably competitive chance of winning in every match they play where previously most matches have been foregone conclusions. But I think I'd struggle to pinpoint specific teams that I'd be confident will be less competitive and guaranteed to finish below. Which is to say I think Souths will finally be the equal of the tail end teams as opposed to far behind them. But I don't think that means they will necessarily avoid the wooden spoon.

Leigh.

Phillips

Referee
Quidgybo said:
For those predicting Souths to avoid the spoon which teams do you see as certain of finishing below the "new" Souths?

Sharks, Panthers, Roosters

My Souths team would be..

1. Peachey
2. Merritt
3. Vagana
4. Paulson
5. Hegarty/Simmonds
6. Sutton
7. Williams
8. Cusack
9. Webb
10. Asotasi
11. Kidwell
12. Galuvao
13. Fa'alogo

14. Irvine
15. Widders
16. Manuokafoa
17. Geddes

Quidgybo

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
For the first time since 1999 we will have a roster that somewhat resembles an NRL standard. We will have a team that can go into every game with a chance of winning (as is the case with all teams). That alone (as the last couple of seasons has proved) is enough to give us a chnace for the 8. With our roster we are probably with about 8 other teams that might finish 7-8th or come last. In the NRL circa 2004-7, injuries are always the key.
Well that's the thing, for every team over the last couple years except Souths, finishing last need not have been considered a huge disgrace. The difference in standard between team 14 and team 8 or even team 6 has been so close that it is quite possible to either make the finals or finish last with the same squad and just a bit of luck one way or the other (eg. jag a couple of close games on 50/50 refs calls or have a bad run of injuries). Souths have been the exception. They've been well behind the rest in almost every respect. At least now they seem to a chance of moving back into the pack. They may still finish last but they could just as easily get a bit of luck and finish 11th or 10th. Either way there won't be much in it.

Leigh.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
Quidgybo said:
For those predicting Souths to avoid the spoon which teams do you see as certain of finishing below the "new" Souths? I think Souths will be much improved and generally a reasonably competitive chance of winning in every match they play where previously most matches have been foregone conclusions. But I think I'd struggle to pinpoint specific teams that I'd be confident will be less competitive and guaranteed to finish below. Which is to say I think Souths will finally be the equal of the tail end teams as opposed to far behind them. But I don't think that means they will necessarily avoid the wooden spoon.

Leigh.

There is no 'certain' in the NRL these days. We are on par with Cronulla, Penrith, Canberra, Wests, Sydney and the Gold Coast. Any of those teams, along with us, may finish last, or as I said, scrape into the 8.

pantherz9103

First Grade
finish somewhere between 12th to 15th. Spoon again if signings don't produce or injury isn't kind to the squad.

Quidgybo

Bench
S.S.T.I.D said:
There is no 'certain' in the NRL these days. We are on par with Cronulla, Penrith, Canberra, Wests, Sydney and the Gold Coast. Any of those teams, along with us, may finish last, or as I said, scrape into the 8.
I agree entirely. It doesn't mean they won't finish last but it's a refreshing change that they're no longer near "certain" of claiming that distinction.

Leigh.

gregstar

Referee
Newcastlerabbit said:
I would be more worried about your coach.
then start a thread about it - unless of course this thread regarding souths has run out of interest. ;-)

Latest posts