What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2007

Rocco

Juniors
souths are a mediocre club. whoever they buy and whoever is their coach, they are still a bunch of losers and will never make the 8.

ocko

juniors
he's a big boy sutton, very suited physically to lock, but i still think they should play him at 5/8

madunit

Super Moderator
Staff member
Quidgybo said:
Exactly. Throwing talented juniors onto the field by themselves is pointless if they've got no one to learn the tricks of the trade from. I think Souths have recurited beautifully for a team trying to build a new culture where losing isn't acceptable. They are never going to be able to compete for current stars like the Benji Marshalls or Gasniers because these guys are so in demand they don't have to or want to go to a club who has a history of losing. It'd damage their carreer. And as I said throwing juniors out there by themselves is like throwing Christians to the Lions (the team and claws and furred covered kind, not the British RL team). They have great intentions but just have never been shown how it works in the big time. But recruiting four of five senior players who have been there and done that, and don't have a long term future career to protect is a great way to kick start the new culture. And they only need be around for couple of years - just long enough to help some of the juniors prepare to take over the responsibility for themselves, and then pass on that knowledge and attitude to the new juniors who replace the retired leaders.

Leigh.
isn't that the role Adam Muir was supposed to play when Souths were first re-admitted?
And Fletcher?

I think The juniors should be thrown out there, spending all these huge amounts of money on high profile players has done f**k all for the club, so what have they got to lose by throwing some young blood out there to learn the ropes a bit quicker than usual? They can't get any worse. Hell they could even save some money on players.

Sugar

Bench
Rocco said:
souths are a mediocre club. whoever they buy and whoever is their coach, they are still a bunch of losers and will never make the 8.
????????? your sig suggests different

Quidgybo

Bench
madunit said:
I think The juniors should be thrown out there, spending all these huge amounts of money on high profile players has done f**k all for the club, so what have they got to lose by throwing some young blood out there to learn the ropes a bit quicker than usual?
But that's the point, learn the ropes from who? Their opposition isn't going to be giving them any tips between plays or give them a kick for patting themselves on the back for still being within ten with twenty minutes to go. And their opposition isn't going to show them by example the week in week out commitment needed both on and off the field to win competitions.

Leigh.

spider

Coach
balmainbenny said:
Cronulla's losing culture wore Vagana down. He'll play some good footy in 2007.

He never got the ball from the day he came here.

Shame really as he was playing well at the Dogs when he got some ball regularly.

innsaneink

Referee
SpiderShark said:
He never got the ball from the day he came here.

Shame really as he was playing well at the Dogs when he got some ball regularly.

Same thing happened with Whatuira at Penrith, the ball always went down Girdlers side....when he moved to Wests and started to get some ball, we saw just how good he could be.

not a bad side .i got a feeling they wont be as fit as most teams and find it hard for them to get out of the bottom 2 teams next year

yobbo84

Coach
Souths WILL improve in 2007. After 3 wins and 21 losses they have no choice but to. Shaun McRae, as nice a bloke as he was, lacked the discipline needed IMO to bring Souths off the bottom. We need a bloke with balls that will make the tough decisions, and I believe Jason Taylor can do that - he has the respect of the players and that's a big start.

If any hard-core fans have been down to Erskinville Oval in the past to watch Souths train will know of the atrocious conditions the team has had to deal with. No joke, your local Under 16's club had better facilities. Gym benchs with metal bits sticking out, having training scour the field for needles/glass before every skills session, etc etc. It has been improved dramatically and is now up to NRL standard. It's only for one year when our $19.5m upgrade to Redfern Oval is complete.

Front office, what can you say, has been a disgrace. Peter Holmes a Court has made more inroads the past 6 months that Souths have in the last 60 years. As one board member put it earlier this year, he opens doors Souths could never even knock on before. Sponsorship, merchandising, membership, coaching staff, training staff all improved.

The platform is there for J.T. and the players to perform - and I believe we have a squad of about 20 that can do just that. In my opinion our best team will resemble something like:

1. David Peachey
2. Nathan Merrit
3. Nigel Vagana
4. Yileen Gordon
5. Shannon Hegarty
6. Beau Champion
7. Joe Williams
8. Peter Cusack
9. Stuart Webb
10. Roy Asotasi
11. David Kidwell
12. David Fa'alogo
13. John Sutton

Interchange:

14. Scott Geddes
15. Dean Widders
16. Joe Galuvao
17. Luke Stuart

Still lacking in the halves, but that forward pack and bench will match it with almost every pack in the NRL, giving the halves the chance to show their wares.

As far as depth goes, we're still lacking compared to other clubs but that top 17 does exclude some handy players like Manase Manuokafoa, Reece Simmonds, Ben Rogers, Jeremy Smith, Germaine Paulson, etc.

Oh and to the guy who said we're not putting our faith in our juniors clearly has no idea what he/she is talking about. Beau Champion, Manase Manuokafoa, John Sutton, Yileen Gordon, Nathan Merritt, Shannan McPherson, all juniors who have made the step up to the NRL. Every player in our S.G. Ball Grand Final side who we wanted to keep has been kept. Watch out for Sam Huihaha and Eddy Pettybourne in particular. We have a nice mike of experience and youth in our 2007 side.

Oh and ask any Bulldogs supporter, Asotasi deadset carried the Dogs in the back half of 2005 when SBW, Mason, etc were all injured.

Souths have no excuses, they must improve, and I believe they will. Not enough to make the 8, but enough to set a platform for a finals push in 2008.

LRC

madunit said:
Souths have bought big before to no avail. I shall be serious this time around.

I truly think the problem for the bunnies is they are focussing all their attention on buying a team, a-la late 90's Roosters, and not focussing on the juniors. Once those big names leave, you are left with an under performing team, a-la roosters 2006.

Yeh ...the roosters never had much success...not missing the finals for a decade or so from the 90s to 2004.
They done exactly what was needed...bought the right players (a combination of a couple of stars and a couple of up and comers like Cayless and Fitzy) and brought through their kids like Mini,Cross,Ricko,Bonnetti,Cussack,Crocker,Flannery,Heggarty...etc...look what happened..one premiership and a couple of GFs...as a fan you couldnt complain...more importantly, they competed week in and out and were a chance to win every gam,e they played for over a decade.
Souths are doing this and appear to be on the right track...having said that..its all in the halves though....no halves....no hope.

Heres my rendition of the Souths Team By Round 10 next season

1. Peachey
2. Merritt
3. Vagana
4. Sutton
5. Hegarty
6. Smith
7. Paea
8. Cusack
9. Webb
10. Asotasi
11. Faalogo
12. Kidwell (c)
13. Stuart

14. Widders
15. Galuvao
16. Geddes
17. Champion

Paea, is an absolute gun, once he develops into the nrl, he certainly has playing standards of that, he is class and i believe he will become a better player than thurston, ive seen the kid play numerous times, and he has more potential than thurston did, at the same time of their careers, i am not sure why he wasnt selected for the junior kangaroos, but i suppose when up against jarrod mullen for the halfback spot, i think they picked carney, because he is established in the nrl, and he is a safer option than paea at this time.

Paea only developed as a player, half way through this year, but has already shown, he will be a future star in the nrl

he certainly has way more class than his brothers

Achillies

Juniors
I am going to dig this thread up next year when Souths make the 8.
Whats with the roosters fans rubbishing our signings.Didnt you guys sign Nutley and Beatey.Add to that the massivley over rated Myles (will feel at home at Bondi) and a sh*t coach.Now that reeks of spoon.
Marshal Magic,your only signing was Jason Moodie,so i wouldnt say to much at all.

Latest posts