What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths 2018 Squad

Rabbits20

Immortal
Look I'll be the first of the optimisic guys to admit that we're not going to be premiership threats but we're not going to be competing for the spoon. We have a much better squad than we've had the last 2 years and people are still acting like we're the worst team that's ever stepped into the comp. I don't really want to name specific teams but I can think of a few who are a lot worse off than us.
I'm going to analyse some of that this arvo......

The Dogs, Titans, Warriors and Tigers come to mind......... but not much else at this stage......

I'll look into it later.....

Our backs could be a problem for sure if one of GI or Gagai goes down we will have 3 rookies in the backs which is not good........ our backline depth has been a concern for quite a while and letting Bryson go was a mistake and you'll see that mate...

southsport

First Grade
Look I'll be the first of the optimisic guys to admit that we're not going to be premiership threats but we're not going to be competing for the spoon. We have a much better squad than we've had the last 2 years and people are still acting like we're the worst team that's ever stepped into the comp. I don't really want to name specific teams but I can think of a few who are a lot worse off than us.

Exactly, it's a journey and we are on our way.

How so?

We've signed one gun player in Gagai, a couple of blokes who've shown some promise but haven't played first grade yet and then a few who've been hanging around other squads and couldn't make it.

We've let go of Bryson who was probably our most consistent back over the last few years and we've released a few others who were probably on par with what we've signed.

We get Inglis back but so what? He was average in 2016 and that was when he had one decent leg. Now both knees are f**ked and he will be a week to week proposition all year. Sutton and Farah are another year older and probably a few yards slower and we still have zero guarantees that the twins and Adam Reynolds can recapture old form.

In the meantime, we've sacked the first coach to win us a premiership in 40 years and replaced him with a bloke that is completely unproven and is an unknown quantity, apart from being our defensive coach last year, where our defense absolutely stunk.

The only possible area for improvement is in some of the young guys we have coming through but I'm not sure I see them developing under a coach who is trying to find his feet in the NRL and I don't like the support network we've built around him.

So I stand by my conviction. At best we will be lucky to hold on to twelfth position again. If we have one or two key injuries (and they are very likely because we have some injury prone guys in key positions), our depth is such that we'll be right in the mix for the spoon.

Rabbits20

Immortal
How so?

We've signed one gun player in Gagai, a couple of blokes who've shown some promise but haven't played first grade yet and then a few who've been hanging around other squads and couldn't make it.

We've let go of Bryson who was probably our most consistent back over the last few years and we've released a few others who were probably on par with what we've signed.

We get Inglis back but so what? He was average in 2016 and that was when he had one decent leg. Now both knees are f**ked and he will be a week to week proposition all year. Sutton and Farah are another year older and probably a few yards slower and we still have zero guarantees that the twins and Adam Reynolds can recapture old form.

In the meantime, we've sacked the first coach to win us a premiership in 40 years and replaced him with a bloke that is completely unproven and is an unknown quantity, apart from being our defensive coach last year, where our defense absolutely stunk.

The only possible area for improvement is in some of the young guys we have coming through but I'm not sure I see them developing under a coach who is trying to find his feet in the NRL and I don't like the support network we've built around him.

So I stand by my conviction. At best we will be lucky to hold on to twelfth position again. If we have one or two key injuries (and they are very likely because we have some injury prone guys in key positions), our depth is such that we'll be right in the mix for the spoon.
My old man just called me up and said he'd seen the squad today and he said most of this........ but but but Bryson wasn't our most consistent they say........ they can't seem to read he played an average of 20 games a year with his stay with us. I even provided themmthe with the link.

Let's compare our backline to others........

Us:

GI (very very injury prone)
AJ
Gagai

Then not much at all for me feel comfortable about!! These are the only 3 that are comfortable in first grade:

Teams with better backlines:

Righteo:

Roosters:
Tedesco
Tupou
Mitchell
Fergo
Gordon
Aubusson

Broncos:
Boyd
Roberts
Oates
Kahu
Mead
Bird/Nikorima

Canberra:
Wighton
Cotric
Leilua
Rapana
Croker

Sharks:
Dugan
Holmes
Leutele
Gray
Feki
Capewell

Storm:
Slater
Vunivalu
Blair
Scott
Addo Carr
Chambers

Dragons:
McDonald
Nightingale
Lafai
Aitken

(Similar to ours but they have us for certain in the forwards and halves)

Cowboys:
Coote
Winterstein
Feldt
O'Neill
Linnett
Bowen

Manly:
Trbojevic
Walker
Uate
Taufau
Wright
Parker (seems to be very good)

So there is the appetiser Souths til I die with 7 teams already having better backline options and the Dragons are on par with us but get us in areas on the field like forwards and halves..........

I'll do the rest a bit later

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
How so?

So you're just pissed off we haven't gone on a signing spree? There's a problem with that. We have too much money tied up in GI, AR, Sam and the twins. They are all genuine game winners when they're on but unfortunately they haven't been "on" for a long time now. The club is already working on reducing the twins contracts for 2019 so I'm sure that's going to help. GI and AR are on long term contracts so there's nothing you can do there.

Bryson Goodwin was offered a contract but got a better offer from overseas hence the "I've got to do what's best for my family". Besides only fans would see him as a consistent player. He is the most one dimensional centre I think I've ever seen. Hence the reason he never made Souths best side. Would you really want to pay him overs to stay?

Wow you really are a negative person. Jonathan Thurstons shoulder is f**ked does that mean the Cowboys shouldn't look forward to his return? In contrary to popular belief Rehab from injuries like this actually do work. The bullshit about "they'll never be the same" is simply not true. Once you're recovered from an injury you're just as likely to get injured again as when you were before. Sutton had to be resigned. There's way too many young players in the squad there needs to be some leaders in there.

Madge's sacking was a shame I agree but Jesus Christ that's not going to define our year. Madge was a really great person but Seibold seems just as capable. He is already crossing out this double hooker bullshit which Madge stuck with for the whole year.

Of course that's a major area of improvement because that's the area that Souths have decided to focus on. There's also the area that all our key players do return to form which indicates an even better performance.

Give us 5-6 injuries and we won't get the spoon. I guarantee you it won't happen...

Rabbits20

Immortal
I suggest Souths til I die you read my starting post of other backlines and that should wake you up a bit........

Rabbits20

Immortal
So you're just pissed off we haven't gone on a signing spree? There's a problem with that. We have too much money tied up in GI, AR, Sam and the twins. They are all genuine game winners when they're on but unfortunately they haven't been "on" for a long time now. The club is already working on reducing the twins contracts for 2019 so I'm sure that's going to help. GI and AR are on long term contracts so there's nothing you can do there.

Bryson Goodwin was offered a contract but got a better offer from overseas hence the "I've got to do what's best for my family". Besides only fans would see him as a consistent player. He is the most one dimensional centre I think I've ever seen. Hence the reason he never made Souths best side. Would you really want to pay him overs to stay?

Wow you really are a negative person. Jonathan Thurstons shoulder is f**ked does that mean the Cowboys shouldn't look forward to his return? In contrary to popular belief Rehab from injuries like this actually do work. The bullshit about "they'll never be the same" is simply not true. Once you're recovered from an injury you're just as likely to get injured again as when you were before. Sutton had to be resigned. There's way too many young players in the squad there needs to be some leaders in there.

Madge's sacking was a shame I agree but Jesus Christ that's not going to define our year. Madge was a really great person but Seibold seems just as capable. He is already crossing out this double hooker bullshit which Madge stuck with for the whole year.

Of course that's a major area of improvement because that's the area that Souths have decided to focus on. There's also the area that all our key players do return to form which indicates an even better performance.

Give us 5-6 injuries and we won't get the spoon. I guarantee you it won't happen...
We had chances to buy other players who were cheapish and on the market......

The twins especially Tom are not game winners..... they are off the pace defensively and the game is too quick for them.....

Now re Goodwin you are incorrect quite clearly. The only ones I have ever known to bag out Goodwin are on this forum..... He is a very solid first grader who played international football and turned himself into even more quality after his spleen problem.... Goodwin' makes many one on one tackles and saved so many tries..... he was fine on the wing too...... this thing about him being trash on the wing is garbage... when short on numbers all wingers get caught out..... he was fine under the high ball too.... He has that step as well at the line and breaks tackles plus pokes his head through and gets quick play the balls.... he is a master of the shit work coming out of trouble..... he is a good first grader.... if you're calling Goodwin ordinary and one dimensional well then you must see Nightingale in that way then.... both have similarities.......

Farah was a complete waste of time as was re-signing Turner over Brown...

Farah is taking up much needed cash and Turner after winning the comp is on more than the minimum wage. We just renewed him and I'd say he's on 280-300 when he should be on half that! In fact we didn't make Turner even work for his contract... when players play for contracts it can make them perform much better most of the time...

So that's about 750k wasted.....

Goodwin wouldn't have been on about 250k. To keep him and pay him around the 280-300k mark would've been worthwhile.... rather than have Kennar or Gagan for that matter of fact.....

Goodwin also did make our best side nearly all the time.... after his injury in 2014 Lote then got his second chance and boy was he great..... you couldn't take Lote out after his he was playing.... if we were on a bit of a losing streak Goodwin would've been there for sure.... If an avg of 20 games a year for us doesn't tell you he's a very regular first grader then you are blinded quite clearly....... if he wasn't injured then Goodwin wouldn't have been dropped either....... fact.... the members pretty much all loved Goodwin.

There is a difference between fantasy world and realism. I lived in fantasy world a bit the last couple of seasons and look how that went.... I won't be fooled the third time around...... 2019 imo will be better but not next season.... we have about 14 first graders in that squad and most other teams have about 19 which is five up on us.

I'm quite happy to analyse our squad further with you Souths til I die.

GI has a very very crook knee and I'd love to see the doctors report....... GI will never be the same player unfortunately.... I question how he will handle all that running at fullback week in and week out.....

I do agree with you on Sutto of course he has to be there in a bench role!!!

Seibs hasn't realised the most important thing I don't think.... look he was our defensive coach last season and look how that went... the line speeed was deplorable.... priority one is fix that up and then teach the boys how to put their body on the line and tackle....... he was lacking for sure in that department in 2017....... he should be coming out and saying he owns that and we must get better.......

Also I think Seibs said he wants Sam on an edge?? Well that is stupidity of the highest order and Sam belongs in the middle and we need him there for sure....

Also if he picks Farah at hooker that'd be the next wrong call. Clearly we need Cook there from what we saw this past season.....

He has said some of the right things though for sure has Seibs but talk is talk at the end of the day and the action is on the field. That's what I'll judge.

I don't like some of the staff he has around him either and Furner shouldn't bethe assistant. I don't rate him.

Other teams play 2 hookers too so that's not all bullshit!

Give us 5-6 injuries and we are f**ked...... bottom 4 for sure. We don't have the depth.

Once again I suggest you read my post re these other backlines and stop turning a blind eye to the obvious...

Yes we have a pack that can make the bottom of the 8 for best packs but we don't have it in the backs and that's where we get caught out plus consistency in the halves is a problem.... that brings us back to about 11-12th.

Rabbits20

Immortal
My old man just called me up and said he'd seen the squad today and he said most of this........ but but but Bryson wasn't our most consistent they say........ they can't seem to read he played an average of 20 games a year with his stay with us. I even provided themmthe with the link.

Let's compare our backline to others........

Us:

GI (very very injury prone)
AJ
Gagai

Then not much at all for me feel comfortable about!! These are the only 3 that are comfortable in first grade:

Teams with better backlines:

Righteo:

Roosters:
Tedesco
Tupou
Mitchell
Fergo
Gordon
Aubusson

Broncos:
Boyd
Roberts
Oates
Kahu
Mead
Bird/Nikorima

Canberra:
Wighton
Cotric
Leilua
Rapana
Croker

Sharks:
Dugan
Holmes
Leutele
Gray
Feki
Capewell

Storm:
Slater
Vunivalu
Blair
Scott
Addo Carr
Chambers

Dragons:
McDonald
Nightingale
Lafai
Aitken

(Similar to ours but they have us for certain in the forwards and halves)

Cowboys:
Coote
Winterstein
Feldt
O'Neill
Linnett
Bowen

Manly:
Trbojevic
Walker
Uate
Taufau
Wright
Parker (seems to be very good)

So there is the appetiser Souths til I die with 7 teams already having better backline options and the Dragons are on par with us but get us in areas on the field like forwards and halves..........

I'll do the rest a bit later
Righteo while most will turn a blind eye to what's in front of us I'll keep putting it out there....

Now rest of teams:

Parramatta:
Hayne
French
Gutherson
Jennings
Takairangi
Auva'a
Hoffman

Penrith:
Edwards
Moylan
Blake
Mansour
Whare
DWZ

Tigers:
Lolohea
Fonua
Suli
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Naiqama

(I think we have a better backline than these guys)

Bulldogs:
Hopoate
Morris
Morris
Holland
Lee

(On par with these guys)

Titans:

Don
Copley
Hurrell
Elliot
Olive

(We have a better backline than these guys)

Knights:
Watson
Ross
SKD
Moga
Sio
P. Mata'utai

(If GI goes down we are even with those guys so it's a close call)

Warriors:
RTS
Beale
Maumalo
Hiku
Kata

(I believe we are on par with these guys)

So that's 9 sides better than us very clearly in the backs:

Storm
Cowboys
Roosters
Sharks
Manly
Canberra
Broncos
Parramatta
Penrith

On par with:
Dragons
Bulldogs
Warriors

Better than:

Titans
Knights
Tigers

If GI or Gagai goes down we go down from about that 10th-11th best backline figure down into that bottom 3 teams....

Last edited:

rabbitohs95

Bench
How so?

I get where you're coming from DKoR, but here's why I think we'll be a bigger force in 2018...

1. Maguire's tactics were getting old and we need a freshen up. I think the boys will really revel in the new structures. Seibs is less of a disciplinarian but he is well respected and the boys will want to play for him. Look for a lot more freedom in the side.

2. Gagai is our best signing since Te'o, who was similarly making his mark on the rep scene and going into his prime. I'm hoping Gagai can kick on, and no disrespect to them, but he's an upgrade on both Goodwin and Gray. Not only is he at his peak but he has versatility too, moreso than most of our backline.

3. GI has had plenty of time to recover from his injuries and will be looking to hit the ground running. You can never knock a champ and we all know he is one and he'll be itching to get back to form after plenty of rest on the sidelines.

4. The younger guys are a year older, and our other young guns are some of the best in the league. Guys like Murray, Crichton, Fuimaono, Burns and Jennings will have learnt plenty from last season and will be looking to improve and I have no doubt they will. Let's not forget the likes of Johnstone, Rodwell, Doueihi and Hiroti who will be putting plenty of pressure on those guys.

5. Bigger squad means more depth which means if injuries hit we'll be better off. The last few seasons we've had to delve into mid-season signings because of all our injuries so with a huge squad (35+) we won't have to worry about it. Plus our depth signings are better than the ones of the last few seasons and they will be competing for spots, not just hanging around to make up the space.

6. Overall our squad is better than 2016-2017, dare I even say 2015. The last two seasons have been a period of development for our squad and even then a lot went against us in terms of results and injuries. In 2018 there is a lot of promise and I truly believe our squad can make the top 8.

DynamicRabbit1

Juniors
I think overall the squad has a good mix of established NRL players, those fringe players pushing for regular NRL and now a good bunch of youngsters who will add energy and enthusiasm into the group.

Still think maybe we are an established top 17 Prop & outside back short

JetRider

Juniors
Our defence is the key to success or failure. This has been our worst feature over the last two years and that has impacted on confidence. If we can get that right the attacking potential is there.

Inglis is important defensively for us, something AJ does not as yet provide at the back. Game changers are not obvious in this side and AR and CW have that potential as does Cook, but can only thrive if we are strong defensively. Whilst I agree re the potency of our backs not as comparable to the other teams, this can all change if our structure is right defensively as we do have some speed now.

Our destiny will be demonstrated in our early games as it has over the last two years, if we continue to be slow and inconsistent then it will again be a long year, so at this stage it is not clear how we can improve on previous results and all rests on individual development and good coaching. What can I say but let’s have some faith and hope for the best, they may surprise us.

Rabbit toes

First Grade
Righteo while most will turn a blind eye to what's in front of us I'll keep putting it out there....

Now rest of teams:

Parramatta:
Hayne
French
Gutherson
Jennings
Takairangi
Auva'a
Hoffman

Penrith:
Edwards
Moylan
Blake
Mansour
Whare
DWZ

Tigers:
Lolohea
Fonua
Suli
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Naiqama

Bulldogs:
Hopoate
Morris
Morris
Holland
Lee

(On par with these guys)

Titans:

Don
Copley
Hurrell
Elliot
Olive

Knights:
Watson
Ross
SKD
Moga
Sio
P. Mata'utai

Warriors:
RTS
Beale
Maumalo
Hiku
Kata

Storm
Cowboys
Roosters
Sharks
Manly
Canberra
Broncos
Parramatta
Penrith

On par with:
Dragons
Bulldogs
Warriors

Better than:

Titans
Knights
Tigers

If GI or Gagai goes down we go down from about that 10th-11th best backline figure down into that bottom 3 teams....
It's not a blind eye dunce. People just don't give a shit about your rants.

Rabbits20

Immortal
I get where you're coming from DKoR, but here's why I think we'll be a bigger force in 2018...

1. Maguire's tactics were getting old and we need a freshen up. I think the boys will really revel in the new structures. Seibs is less of a disciplinarian but he is well respected and the boys will want to play for him. Look for a lot more freedom in the side.

2. Gagai is our best signing since Te'o, who was similarly making his mark on the rep scene and going into his prime. I'm hoping Gagai can kick on, and no disrespect to them, but he's an upgrade on both Goodwin and Gray. Not only is he at his peak but he has versatility too, moreso than most of our backline.

3. GI has had plenty of time to recover from his injuries and will be looking to hit the ground running. You can never knock a champ and we all know he is one and he'll be itching to get back to form after plenty of rest on the sidelines.

4. The younger guys are a year older, and our other young guns are some of the best in the league. Guys like Murray, Crichton, Fuimaono, Burns and Jennings will have learnt plenty from last season and will be looking to improve and I have no doubt they will. Let's not forget the likes of Johnstone, Rodwell, Doueihi and Hiroti who will be putting plenty of pressure on those guys.

5. Bigger squad means more depth which means if injuries hit we'll be better off. The last few seasons we've had to delve into mid-season signings because of all our injuries so with a huge squad (35+) we won't have to worry about it. Plus our depth signings are better than the ones of the last few seasons and they will be competing for spots, not just hanging around to make up the space.

6. Overall our squad is better than 2016-2017, dare I even say 2015. The last two seasons have been a period of development for our squad and even then a lot went against us in terms of results and injuries. In 2018 there is a lot of promise and I truly believe our squad can make the top 8.
If the boys think they will get it easier at training they wont. I have heard Seibs trains as hard as Madge does kinda thing..... if not harder than what Madge did the boys...

I hope to see better line speed in defence and more freedom in attack....

I still think it'd have been good to keep Goodwin on about 280k a season for the next couple. But yes Gagai is an upgrade on both him and Gray.

Well yeah we do need a much better run with injuries....

rabbitohs95

Bench
Squad list has been updated. Can't remember the last time (if ever) we've had this many players in the squad.

TheDefender

Juniors

Now rest of teams:

Parramatta:
Hayne
French
Gutherson
Jennings
Takairangi
Auva'a
Hoffman

Penrith:
Edwards
Moylan
Blake
Mansour
Whare
DWZ

Tigers:
Lolohea
Fonua
Suli
Nofoaluma
Marsters
Naiqama

Bulldogs:
Hopoate
Morris
Morris
Holland
Lee

(On par with these guys)

Titans:

Don
Copley
Hurrell
Elliot
Olive

Knights:
Watson
Ross
SKD
Moga
Sio
P. Mata'utai

Warriors:
RTS
Beale
Maumalo
Hiku
Kata

Storm
Cowboys
Roosters
Sharks
Manly
Canberra
Broncos
Parramatta
Penrith

On par with:
Dragons
Bulldogs
Warriors

Better than:

Titans
Knights
Tigers

Games aren’t won on paper, stop being so stupid & immature

Souths Till I Die

First Grade
Games aren’t won on paper, stop being so stupid & immature

I think a lot of people forget this. Our 2014 roster wouldn't have been considered a top 4 roster at all. Yet we won the whole competition. I clearly remember a mate (a manly supporter) declaring that we couldn't win the premiership because our roster was one of the weaker ones in the competition.

Last edited:

TheDefender

Juniors
If the boys think they will get it easier at training they wont. I have heard Seibs trains as hard as Madge does kinda thing..... if not harder than what Madge did the boys...

I hope to see better line speed in defence and more freedom in attack....

I still think it'd have been good to keep Goodwin on about 280k a season for the next couple. But yes Gagai is an upgrade on both him and Gray.

Well yeah we do need a much better run with injuries....

The whole “training too hard” bullshit was always just a line trotted out by the media, you won’t find one player, past or present that has mentioned this

Goodwin didn’t want to stay, you could have offered him more & I think you’ll find that going to England to play & experience something different was a lifestyle choice that he always wanted to do, just like his old man did

Gagan is a bit of an unknown, it’s a risk with his injuries but I doubt he’s taking up much cap space, Souths tend to always take a few of these types on, Ben Ross & Connor Tracey being two, the club realises that we have exceptional rehab staff & facilities & see the risk as being lessened & gain great if all goes to plan

rabbitohs95

Bench
Depth (In alphabetical order)

Fullback (7): Arthars, Burns, D Cook, Gagai, Inglis, Johnston, Walker

Wing (11): Arthars, Burns, Gagai, Gagan, Graham, Hiroti, Hunt, Jennings, Johnston, Kennar, Taukamo

Centre (16): Arthars, Burns, Crichton, Doueihi, Fuimaono, Gagai, Gagan, Graham, Hiroti, Hunt, Inglis, Jennings, Kennar, Taukamo, Talakai, Turner

Five-Eighth (7): D Cook, Doueihi, Hawkins, Inglis, Sutton, Tracey, Walker

Halfback (6): Doueihi, Farah, Hawkins, Reynolds, Tracey, Walker

Prop (11): Britt, G Burgess, S Burgess, T Burgess, Clark, Johnstone, Musgrove, Nicholls, Rodwell, Ta'avale, Turner

Hooker (4): D Cook, J Cook, Farah, Martin

Second Row (11): Britt, S Burgess, Clark, Crichton, Fuimaono, Murray, Nicholls, Sutton, Ta'avale, Talakai, Turner

Lock (9): Britt, S Burgess, Clark, Crichton, Martin, Murray, Sutton, Ta'avale, Turner