What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths Cut Eddie Paea

JB

Juniors
Just exactly how much say does Hart have regarding which signatures to chase? Surely it would all come from the coaching staff and he's there just to sign them off.

I condemning based on the majority of the performance this year – bar his first and second game. While the tigers don’t have the most rated pack in the comp – when galloway and payten come back – they’ll not too bad pack of forwards.

Im referring to the Warriors game because perhaps some guys would have actually watched it. Vs brisbane tigers pack despite major injuries went fine – head went M.I.A. Head should be the controlling the tigers he is not – while people are bagging benji he shouldn’t be the one getting the ball all the time.

He cant tackles and doesn’t run at the line – doesn’t matter if he had the roosters forward pack – that aint going to change.

As for Paea he needs an opporunity to develop and an opportunity to take over a team. Excuse Paea – he never had a chance against a team going so sh*t.
Matt head has been playing ever since he has come back from injury – Paea got a few games before he dropped to improve his kicking game for a nuffies like Smith, Widders, Rogers who have a no kicking game.

It was never the club's decision to drop Paea after Round 4, Paea realised he was far from ready for the top grade, and decided to voluntarily play against who he thought he could excel against.

Paea is still far from NRL capable, He struggles to build the stamina to play 80 minutes and he seems to go missing after about 30, due to him struggling to keep with the pace, His defensive issues are also pretty negative at the moment as well.

Has potential but we arent willing to take a long-term risk on re-signing a player who we have nothing to go on, that he will produce into a Solid Player, He has had plenty of time to prove himself, and has failed to do so.

If Paea is streets ahead of Issac John in being ready for first-grade, then god help the Warriors, obviously you are not keen on Rovelli, and you are playing a hooker as a halfback atm.

If you can pick him up cheap, then it may be a good buy but I certainly have my doubts.

I think it was the right decision to let him go from the Rabbitohs board, and Certainly Sandow is better, more focused and ready for first grade than Paea has ever been in his few chances to crack through.

There will be a new batch of Under 20's talent for every team next year, coming through SG Ball or Bartercard Cup (In your circumstance), and there is always a chance that a young halfback will have the potential to crack first grade or go on to better things.

PASSION

Juniors
Hattrickrabbit

its nice to hear someone that is being honest about a player without it sounding personal. It is surprising to hear that a player volunteers to go down a grade so that he can shine/look good - does that sound like he is ready, or will ever be ready? How long has he been over in Australian system?

Hattrickrabbit

its nice to hear someone that is being honest about a player without it sounding personal. It is surprising to hear that a player volunteers to go down a grade so that he can shine/look good - does that sound like he is ready, or will ever be ready? How long has he been over in Australian system?

He obviously thought he was a liability to the first grade team, and he prefers to stand out and provide depth to his age group rather than struggle in first grade.

On a personal note, I was excelling at General Maths and I was coming first in my entire year, my teacher gave me the option and go up to advanced, but I decided I would rather excel than struggle, I think this is the case in alot of scenarios whether it be education or sport.

Paea is a talented kid, definately one of the best for his age group and sometimes it takes longer for some to establish into a top grade football player, I think he just needs more confidence and maybe bulk up a little bit for next season, I do genuinely think that he potentially can pay divdends to whoever picks him up for next season.

There was a little bit of controversy with his allegience to NZ, because he did play for NSW in the U/19's, He was earmarked for a Junior Kangaroos Guernsey, but decided to follow his heritage, Certainly there wouldnt of been controversy if they didnt think he would be one of the players of the future for either nation.

Its definately hard for a fellow player to be more skillful than Eddie Paea, and Paea is a freak himself who is developing, but Sandow is just in a class of his own he is developing brilliantly and is a sensational footballer who is only 19 and is already a fairly complete little player.

His time will definately come, The Rabbitohs and Paea's Manager must of decided that his future would be best-fitted outside of the Rabbitohs, and I wish him the best of luck in his future endeavours.

Last edited:

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
It was never the club's decision to drop Paea after Round 4, Paea realised he was far from ready for the top grade, and decided to voluntarily play against who he thought he could excel against.

Paea is still far from NRL capable, He struggles to build the stamina to play 80 minutes and he seems to go missing after about 30, due to him struggling to keep with the pace, His defensive issues are also pretty negative at the moment as well.

Has potential but we arent willing to take a long-term risk on re-signing a player who we have nothing to go on, that he will produce into a Solid Player, He has had plenty of time to prove himself, and has failed to do so.

If Paea is streets ahead of Issac John in being ready for first-grade, then god help the Warriors, obviously you are not keen on Rovelli, and you are playing a hooker as a halfback atm.

If you can pick him up cheap, then it may be a good buy but I certainly have my doubts.

I think it was the right decision to let him go from the Rabbitohs board, and Certainly Sandow is better, more focused and ready for first grade than Paea has ever been in his few chances to crack through.

There will be a new batch of Under 20's talent for every team next year, coming through SG Ball or Bartercard Cup (In your circumstance), and there is always a chance that a young halfback will have the potential to crack first grade or go on to better things.
I understand but its hard to compare Sandow and Paea performance in the NRL purely on what we have seen so far.

Paea was thrown into easily (at the time) the worst coached and worst peforming team in the NRL bar none.

Rabbitohs have since slightly turned that around, perhaps sandow has helped but it has more to do with coaching their selections weaning out the non-performers. Judging both Sandow and Paea in the U/20’s from the few games I;ve seen there doesn’t seem to be much between them. You guys have come from being unable to win a game – to improving to win a few close games I would look at Sandow like the man aswell.

From a warriors perpective mate – paea is an attractive option. Firstly there are little established first graders on the market, he is only 20 and has plenty of experience and development being poured into him.
Off course he is cheap.
In terms of looking at the best halves in the NYC, he is certainly up there.

Heard he impressed plenty both at kiwi train-on camp aswell as dominating in the Junior Kiwis – stacked with some of the best young talent in the NRL/NYC. Which is why they flew him over to experience camp.

shiznit

Coach
nah... leave paea alone... they need an organising type halfback...

Paea just isnt the type of player thats going to lead the warriors around the park.

i would of probably gone for Paea instead of Moon but now that Moon has been picked up im thinking they should be going for a more experienced organising type halfback.

Midnight Rabbit

Juniors
Paea has talent with a good running game but his kicking game is below par but the frightening thing is that he is terrified to tackle, he just will not put his body on the line in any grade, the thing i really like about sandow apart from the obvious is that even with his statue he has so much guts in putting his body on the line to tackle and is no pushover, unfortunately for eddie he refuses to even try at times to tackle. You may be able to get more heart out of him but i doubt it.

sharkies9

Juniors
I watched paea at their training camp in florida up against Leeds. I felt he did a poor job organizing on the field. He seemed out of his league, although he is young, he may need a year or two.

KeepingTheFaith

Referee
Paea wouldn't be a bad signing, but I'd only take him if Head didn't sign (which I don't think he will by all reports.)

Hven't heard an arguements to convince me otherwise.

Dave Q

Coach
He cant tackle at an NRL level and he has to be hidden away in defence.

He can attack and has all of those skills.

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
Paea wouldn't be a bad signing, but I'd only take him if Head didn't sign (which I don't think he will by all reports.)

Hven't heard an arguements to convince me otherwise.
You don’t think head will sign for the warriors. What ‘reports’ have you been reading?? Tigers havent even tabled him an offer. If the warriors don’t sign him he probably wont even be playing NRL next year.
Watch warriors will sign him to a three year deal – and that will be the end of cleary and hart. They just sign moon on decent money.

Mate I’d take anybody over head.
Preferable Josh Lewis but wouldn’t mind Arana Taumata or Eddie Paea. Younger, cheaper and less injury prone.

Hell I’d take any of those young fullas as our number 2 HB.

Don’t sign Head then Try and flick Witt and Rovelli – then warriors could probably sign Lewis + Taumata/Paea + Aaron Heremaia.

Have you seeen

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
He cant tackle at an NRL level and he has to be hidden away in defence.

He can attack and has all of those skills.
Yeah but so does Matty Head. At least Paea is young enough for that to improve.

Its funny how some rabbitohs fans are baggin him now – yet last year the were all praises and whats changed the fact he got a few games in a losing streak. Guess they get use to validating the bad treatment of players and backing the bad coaching / mgmt they have had this year.
I agree with most of their assessments but the fact is he is still in the NYC – if other halves who dominate at that level can on to NRL so can he.

In other words I don’t believe it is over yet for him.