What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths dump Galuvao to QLD Cup

SSFC Hitman

Juniors
Galuvao rages at Rabbitohs

By Josh Massoud
July 10, 2007
FORMER New Zealand international Joe Galuvao branded South Sydney "shallow" last night for dumping him to the Queensland Cup.
The relationship between Galuvao and the Rabbitohs soured further yesterday, when the four-Test forward was told to pack his bags and see out the year with feeder club Brisbane Easts.
Seeking space under the salary cap to snare Sydney Roosters wing Amos Roberts, Souths have been trying to offload Galuvao for six weeks.
Rabbitohs co-owner Russell Crowe suggested last month that Galuvao should join the Ministry.
The 2003 premiership winner is convinced yesterday's move is further evidence the club is going all-out to make him quit the final 15 months of his $350,000-a-year deal.
"It's pretty obvious what they are trying to do ... they want me out of there," a shattered Galuvao said.
"Cronulla have done the same thing, making Josh Hannay and Brett Seymour play park football.
"At the moment, I feel a bit shallow about what's going on. I'm angered."
Galuvao - who turned 29 on Sunday - said it was "too soon" to decide his next move.
The former Penrith star met Souths chief executive Shane Richardson yesterday morning, but he emerged from those discussions convinced he would not play Queensland Cup until 2008.
When told later by the media that Easts officials were expecting him to line up at Langlands Park on Saturday, he sheepishly replied: "That's news to me.
"I thought I would be playing with North Sydney (the Rabbitohs' New South Wales Rugby League feeder team). I've spoken with Shane Richardson and he told me nothing about it.
"I had factored going to Queensland next year - not next week."
Richardson maintained, however, that he made it clear during the meeting with Galuvao that the player would head to Brisbane "this week".
"Joe must not have listened closely enough," he said.
Galuvao fired back: "So, what is he saying ... that I'm a liar?"
Richardson admitted that Galuvao was "not in our coaching staff's plans going forward", but he denied the Brisbane move was a strong-arm tactic to force the player out of the club.
"We could have made him play in the park for Kingsford ... the Queensland Cup is a high-standard competition," Richardson said.
"We've got a lot of good young back rowers at the club, and the coaching staff want to have a look at them in Premier League (for Norths)."
Easts coach Michael Booth confirmed the side's "star recruit" was expected to report for training on Thursday night.
"There's a motel 200m form our ground, so we'll probably put him up there," Booth said.
"He will also be fed down at the club - all of that would have been worked out."
But Galuvao gave no guarantees he'd play.
"It's all pretty raw at the moment," he said.
"I've not really sat down with my wife and talked about this stuff.
"I don't know what I'm going to do."
If Galuvao should continue with Souths, Richardson assured fans that the club could accommodate both him and new signing Craig Wing under next season's cap.END

I feel for Galuvao but he is not a $350,000 player.

Hahaha. 350k a yr for that lug. Makes Galloway, O'Hara, Harris seem like bargains.

I wonder if Russell sits there on a Tues morning picking the side as well

When soufs are going well rugby league is going well .. obviously

mean_maori_mean

Juniors
gong_eagle said:
$350,000 to play Qld cup

thats easy money Joe

its not easy to relocate your family in a week though is it - they have targeted what is close to Joe - his family and are using it too try and offload him.

Im not sure what legal avenues Joe has looked at - but surely technically he is an employee and has some legal standing in regards to the treatment he has received.

While he has clearly been the better person - I think it is time he starts finding a lawyer, i'm sure they will be lining up to take on Russ to court.

Souths behaviour is pathetic, and this coming from a club who has spent up big on marketing and promoting a club with a good culture etc. - brotherhood .

What a joke

mightypanther

Juniors

So far Joe, just like Josh Hannay's situation, you have acted like a gentleman considering their disgusting treatment of you, and I wish you all the best.

I hope that you can either find another club willing to take up the remainder of your contract, or you continue to show dignity and see out your contract dispite their appalling treatment.

No player deserves to be treated that way.

yobbo84

Coach
The club has done nothing wrong IMO. They are paying him $350,000 a year to do a job that he has done very poorly for a year and a half now. As his employer that have the right to tell him what work he has to do. The club has offered him a multitude of options that would be beneficial to all, but he has refused them all. Therefore, he has chosen to stay as an employee of the club, and therefore must do as his bosses tell him. Quite simple really.

Southernsaint

Staff member
yobbo84 said:
The club has done nothing wrong IMO. They are paying him $350,000 a year to do a job that he has done very poorly for a year and a half now. As his employer that have the right to tell him what work he has to do. The club has offered him a multitude of options that would be beneficial to all, but he has refused them all. Therefore, he has chosen to stay as an employee of the club, and therefore must do as his bosses tell him. Quite simple really.

Souths - The "People's" Club.

Unless you're a person under contract to them whom they want to give the arse...

innsaneink

Referee
yobbo84 said:

Multitude of options?

Start listing.

yobbo84

Coach
innsaneink said:
Multitude of options?

Start listing.

* A release
* A payout
* ESL

He's denied them all because - as he's fully entitled to - he wants his full contract money. That's fair enough. But you don't go to your employer saying "I want this much and this is what I want to do". Tough cookies. You do what you're told. It's life for everyone else, so why is it not acceptable for a footballer?

jack coburn

Juniors
beneficial to all..tell me how the options are beneficial to joe.
between what they are doing to joe and parading other clubs players around it shows what type of club souths are becoming..us 1st and f**k everyone else..
since the change in hands they might be winning but they have become scum in the meantime.

Ice777

Bench
I knew there'd be at least one deluded Souths supporter coming out in defence of the club no matter how disgraceful the player has been treated. Not surprising at all really and dare i say typical of late :roll:

innsaneink

Referee
yobbo84 said:
* A release
* A payout
* ESL

He's denied them all because - as he's fully entitled to - he wants his full contract money. That's fair enough. But you don't go to your employer saying "I want this much and this is what I want to do". Tough cookies. You do what you're told. It's life for everyone else, so why is it not acceptable for a footballer?

Its not life for everyone else, hes being forced to move interstate, forced to reside in some dumpy motel and eat meals in a club when they could just leave him in PL....that is f**kin low....Souths agreed to the terms originally, now thyere moving the posts to suit themselves.

Latest posts