What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game

kit66

Bench
Watching the first half I was thinking, if only they could show this level of intensity and determination for the rest of the season but they couldn't sustain it in the 2nd half - actually started to unravel around the 30-35 minute mark when we went to the bench. Mighty effort though from the boys, some real pride there and shows how much respect they have for McCullough. I gotta say my estimation of McCullough went up a notch on learning he named his son Cash McCullough !
Biggest play of the night came from our main man Benny Hunt - Souths had scored two tries in 3 minutes and had all the momentum, they're attacking our line, a metre out and about to go in for their 3rd when Hunt takes an intercept, plucks the ball out of thin air and takes the wind out of the Bunnies sails, huge play, turned the game. Deserves a medal. Not just a glorious win, we're in the 8 (for now) and we can all sit back and enjoy our weekend, good stuff.

be55

Juniors
Yeah he really stood up and laid the foundation for us but he needs to do it every week not 1 in 5. Both South tries were through him as well. On the upside, he's only 25, his best years are ahead of him.
The first try had nothing to do with him. He was defending the other side of Burgess who played the ball. Cook went to Wood's side and went over the top of him. It was Wood's tackle to make and he didn't. For the second one it's Lawrie's job to mark Cook at the play the ball. Sim's wasn't tight enough to Lawrie and Murray ran into the gap where Sim's should have been. Lawrie has to stay with Cook when he jumps out of dummy half and it was Sim's job to pick up Murray...

thebigredv

First Grade
Somehow I think Hook told them we have enough points so let’s shut up shop. They didn’t play expansive in the second half and went back to playing one out bullshit.

Disappointing, but what would you expect?

I'm sure most fans will ignore the second half but if I'm honest it was a lot like what we have become used too and did sour the victory albeit one I am grateful for and didn't really see coming.

Souths did not turn up until the second half from which time their coach's rocket and superior talent overpowered us. We didn't give up but it just goes to show how we have a long way to go on our journey of strengthening our team.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I'm sure most fans will ignore the second half but if I'm honest it was a lot like what we have become used too and did sour the victory albeit one I am grateful for and didn't really see coming.

Souths did not turn up until the second half from which time their coach's rocket and superior talent overpowered us. We didn't give up but it just goes to show how we have a long way to go on our journey of strengthening our team.
We made some massive progress in that first half, just SO grateful to see some progress at last, but more to do.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
Watching the first half I was thinking, if only they could show this level of intensity and determination for the rest of the season but they couldn't sustain it in the 2nd half - actually started to unravel around the 30-35 minute mark when we went to the bench. Mighty effort though from the boys, some real pride there and shows how much respect they have for McCullough. I gotta say my estimation of McCullough went up a notch on learning he named his son Cash McCullough !
Biggest play of the night came from our main man Benny Hunt - Souths had scored two tries in 3 minutes and had all the momentum, they're attacking our line, a metre out and about to go in for their 3rd when Hunt takes an intercept, plucks the ball out of thin air and takes the wind out of the Bunnies sails, huge play, turned the game. Deserves a medal. Not just a glorious win, we're in the 8 (for now) and we can all sit back and enjoy our weekend, good stuff.
That Hunt intercept stopped the momentum in its tracks, his best play of the game.

denis preston

First Grade
The first try had nothing to do with him. He was defending the other side of Burgess who played the ball. Cook went to Wood's side and went over the top of him. It was Wood's tackle to make and he didn't. For the second one it's Lawrie's job to mark Cook at the play the ball. Sim's wasn't tight enough to Lawrie and Murray ran into the gap where Sim's should have been. Lawrie has to stay with Cook when he jumps out of dummy half and it was Sim's job to pick up Murray...
Just on Simms, how disappointing has he been for us day in day out since 2020 ? Other supporters cannot believe that he isn’t our best forward due to being a origin player through this period. Great warrior who can still get up for the odd game but can’t for the grind of NRL.

BBTB

Juniors

Thinking it was a big effort.
The officials decided to bring souths back into the game.
So they sent our most damaging player to the bin.
5mins from half time.
Then in the second half, the referee wouldn't allow us any ball. They wanted Souths back in the game, unfortunately for them they weren't good enough. Our defence held up.Good job boys, excellent work.

blacksafake

First Grade
Somehow I think Hook told them we have enough points so let’s shut up shop. They didn’t play expansive in the second half and went back to playing one out bullshit.

Disappointing, but what would you expect?
Fox sports coverage said Hook asked for more of the same, However with Amone in the bin & Souths having more possession in that first 20 of the second half didn’t help matters. Luckily for us Reynolds wasn’t there for him.
Normally we would have lost that.

brissiedragon

Juniors
The starting 13 were all playing with unity and speed. It all stagnated when Woods came on. He really is a plodder in attack and his defence is very poor where he has been responsible for several tries being scored against us in recent weeks. If J hunt was 18 this week then time for him to see if he can do better than Plodder Woods

matPORTS

Juniors
The first half was the best I've seen from any Dragons team at any time over the last ten or so seasons. We made a couple of errors early on but we brushed it off and got on with it.

The second half was a case of going through the motions, but we didn't panic when Souths started to come back at us.

As others have mentioned, this was a break out moment for Junior Amone. We looked great with him popping up on both sides of the ruck. He had some great runs at the line and had the Souths defence in all sorts. He also had a couple of good strategic kicks down field on the last. This is big in the sense that some pressure will now be taken off Ben Hunt - and he's been killing it already as it is. I'm also confident that Junior will be able to run the attack on his own in our up coming split round game against the Broncos.

Someone at the club must have read my post last week in the Sack Griffin thread - as a rocket was clearly put up Lomax backside this week. That's the standard in which he must play each week now.

In terms of negatives - yes, someone else should be given a go over Aaron Woods (J Hunt or Kerr).

The Amone sin bin was a deadset square up. Just when we were all starting to think the officials were giving us a break. The NRL administration have had it in for us since BBQ-gate last year.

Overall, we can enjoy that one for the next couple of weeks over rep round. Then Sunday afternoon footy against the Raiders - can't wait !

SGMax

Juniors
Great effort from the team. They need to motivate like this for all games.
Lawrie looked more mobile and energetic than I have seen before.
All the good things came from controlling possession and field position.

The ref found a way to gift Souths possession in the 2nd half with 6 agains and when souths lost the ball, it was knock ons by Dragons first.
Suddenly all the 50/50 decisions favoured Souths.
Poor defence by Woods on the line but Cook used the play the ball as a block.

In the end possession was almost even (51% to 49%) and Souths had clearly more time attacking Saints line.
Some fool commentating on "9" said with 10.5 mins to go Souths still had plenty of time to win the game.

Hope this is a sign of the way the Dragons will play from now on.

Illusion

Bench
The first half was the best I've seen from any Dragons team at any time over the last ten or so seasons. We made a couple of errors early on but we brushed it off and got on with it.

The second half was a case of going through the motions, but we didn't panic when Souths started to come back at us.

As others have mentioned, this was a break out moment for Junior Amone. We looked great with him popping up on both sides of the ruck. He had some great runs at the line and had the Souths defence in all sorts. He also had a couple of good strategic kicks down field on the last. This is big in the sense that some pressure will now be taken off Ben Hunt - and he's been killing it already as it is. I'm also confident that Junior will be able to run the attack on his own in our up coming split round game against the Broncos.

Someone at the club must have read my post last week in the Sack Griffin thread - as a rocket was clearly put up Lomax backside this week. That's the standard in which he must play each week now.

In terms of negatives - yes, someone else should be given a go over Aaron Woods (J Hunt or Kerr).

The Amone sin bin was a deadset square up. Just when we were all starting to think the officials were giving us a break. The NRL administration have had it in for us since BBQ-gate last year.

Overall, we can enjoy that one for the next couple of weeks over rep round. Then Sunday afternoon footy against the Raiders - can't wait !
Yep great to get some enjoyment , (a bit like my wifey :)) its been a long time ..... they did play a game like that when Hook took over first year I think they beat the Eels who were on a roll .....

Dragon David

First Grade
Francis Molo's minutes of late are concerning, as is his output as far as performance.

The one shot he pulls of a game is the only positive i can find in his performances.
I agree itsme. F Molo is just barging in attack at the moment. He has an off load in him (particularly when at the Cowboys) but hasn't used it much with us. He needs more variation in attack and he has got to be careful with his hits in defence - he can be quite damaging but overall he and his brother will improve as they continue to play together.

BBTB

Juniors
I agree itsme. F Molo is just barging in attack at the moment. He has an off load in him (particularly when at the Cowboys) but hasn't used it much with us. He needs more variation in attack and he has got to be careful with his hits in defence - he can be quite damaging but overall he and his brother will improve as they continue to play together.
Must be carrying injuries ?

RedVee_8

Juniors
Well that was a shock, but I’m very pleased. Lawrie and Lomax have to ensure the performance last night is their new minimum effort going forward.

I didn’t understand the Cash McCullough reference earlier ?

Last edited:

Latest posts