What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game

Dragonslayer

First Grade
A couple of points for this game:

Both teams didnt score a point from the southern end. Although we did have opportunity for a penalty goal or 2.

What changed from the Cowboys game to this game, the coaching staff the same, basically the same 17, barring Rava and Feagai back in?

Age and the pace of the game is really catching up with Woods (no surprises there for anyone I think)

Some wanted Amone dumped to reserve grade last week, amazing what a short turn around can do, and the fact our forwards, yes our forwards, dominated the game.

JDB at prop is a must going forward and probably why we haven't been active so much in that space. However, with Sims moving on at the end of the season, who plays lock next year if JDB remains a middle forward? Nathan Brown from the Eels I would seriously consider, but he may command too much $$$. Maybe time for Josh Coric to stand up in first grade.

Lawrie had arguably his best game for us on the back of momentum. Amazing that!

As a collective, our team has a very high ceiling, just consistency is the main concern , both Gould and even Alexander made comments on this. As mentioned above, it's probably why we aren't 'active' in the market space. Yes, there are a few moving on, such as Poasa, Ford, Sims etc, and Alvaro has already left the building. Rumours around we have thrown our hat in for Lodge and would be a far cheaper option, and, as stated many times, we are actively chasing a quality hooker. We have started negotiations on retaining Burns and young Lobb has signed a T&T contract.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
A couple of points for this game:

Both teams didnt score a point from the southern end. Although we did have opportunity for a penalty goal or 2.

What changed from the Cowboys game to this game, the coaching staff the same, basically the same 17, barring Rava and Feagai back in?

Age and the pace of the game is really catching up with Woods (no surprises there for anyone I think)

Some wanted Amone dumped to reserve grade last week, amazing what a short turn around can do, and the fact our forwards, yes our forwards, dominated the game.

JDB at prop is a must going forward and probably why we haven't been active so much in that space. However, with Sims moving on at the end of the season, who plays lock next year if JDB remains a middle forward? Nathan Brown from the Eels I would seriously consider, but he may command too much $$$. Maybe time for Josh Coric to stand up in first grade.

Lawrie had arguably his best game for us on the back of momentum. Amazing that!

As a collective, our team has a very high ceiling, just consistency is the main concern , both Gould and even Alexander made comments on this. As mentioned above, it's probably why we aren't 'active' in the market space. Yes, there are a few moving on, such as Poasa, Ford, Sims etc, and Alvaro has already left the building. Rumours around we have thrown our hat in for Lodge and would be a far cheaper option, and, as stated many times, we are actively chasing a quality hooker. We have started negotiations on retaining Burns and young Lobb has signed a T&T contract.
Good post, and I think a few subtle changes had some really significant impact. De Belin up front gave us good shape. McCullough had a great game on the back of some of his charges and made some strong runs from dummy half. Thought this role change also gave Amone more opportunity to get his hands on the ball more, building his confidence and as such we had more variation in attack and not being so reliant on Hunt….Also, Su’a second game from injury and better for the run Simms to lock etc….but mainly we didn’t crusify ourselves when we had the opportunity to score or build pressure. Great to watch!

Smacka

Juniors
Good post, and I think a few subtle changes had some really significant impact. De Belin up front gave us good shape. McCullough had a great game on the back of some of his charges and made some strong runs from dummy half. Thought this role change also gave Amone more opportunity to get his hands on the ball more, building his confidence and as such we had more variation in attack and not being so reliant on Hunt….Also, Su’a second game from injury and better for the run Simms to lock etc….but mainly we didn’t crusify ourselves when we had the opportunity to score or build pressure. Great to watch!
What stood out for me was Amone being first receiver either side of the ruck. Hunt played out the back , deeper , not allowing the defence to smash him everytime - this drew the Rabbits best Defender (Murray) out of his normal role : he didn't know whether to go for Hunt or Amone (Junior started to take the line on) or wait to see if Hunt would kick. The variation worked wonderfully.
DragonSlayer - I'd like to see Lomax at Lock next season. He would absolutely kill it : a free hand to roam except in defence.

Budpower

Juniors
my team for 2023...
RAMSEY
MATTY F
MAXY F
SULI
RAVALAWA
AMONE
SULLIVAN

F. MOLO
B.HUNT
J.HUNT
SUA
BIRD
LOMAX

BENCH...DE BELIN, M.MOLO, J.CORIC, B.LAWRIE/ MCGUIRE/ KERR

SLOANEY and MULLY to get plenty of gametime off the bench also, and my COACH IS CAM CIRALDO, NOTHING SHORT!!

Last edited: