What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game

Smacka

Juniors
Agreed!

Even 10 years ago playing lock (well what I had to do for the position at least) was always a roving role. You fill in behind make up the numbers and help organise the defence. Minimising all overlaps. In attack always looking for the run after the big prop for easy meters and a quick ptb. Or tipping it on to a rampaging back rower.

On jdb. He can ball play but it only works when we are 9n the front foot. Which Is basically never so it more or less just allowing the defence am extra second to get up....
Yep - you might as well get 17 of the largest , quickest 100-120kgs blokes you can find & tell them just to bulldoze the Opponents. That is the modern game. There are very few Players with good , evasive skills - no O'Connors, Bousteads , Rogers , Kennys , Blacklocks etc.
I remember Masters' Saints in the mid eighties - we had midgets playing - Slippery & Gearin on the wings , Grumpy Haddock at halfback , Chris Guider at Hooker just to name a few. They all had skills & footy nous. Later we got Brownie & Brad Mackay , Mark Coyne & so on : not big blokes but they could play.

redVinme

Bench
Yep - you might as well get 17 of the largest , quickest 100-120kgs blokes you can find & tell them just to bulldoze the Opponents. That is the modern game. There are very few Players with good , evasive skills - no O'Connors, Bousteads , Rogers , Kennys , Blacklocks etc.
I remember Masters' Saints in the mid eighties - we had midgets playing - Slippery & Gearin on the wings , Grumpy Haddock at halfback , Chris Guider at Hooker just to name a few. They all had skills & footy nous. Later we got Brownie & Brad Mackay , Mark Coyne & so on : not big blokes but they could play.
The funny thing is you are right. We may as well have what you said. But we can't even get that right. We can't even figure out the right kind of player to buy for the modern game. Well we can, our club can't unfortunately. Glory days are just that

Illusion

Bench
Right on...... Have said the same the game has changed thats why we have the wrong type of players mainly our forwards .... Need big fast athletic young blokes that we don't have (complete opposite)

denis preston

First Grade
Well after last week I was expecting to see at least one of Bird, Lawrie or Lomax dropped. All get a walk up start and what message does that send to them? Play like shit week in and week out and you'll still get selected.

Molo's off load in the first set against the cows last week was one of his only poor moments of the season so far where as the above three seem to make multiple basic errors every week.

Here I was thinking Hook might wisen up this week but looks like he continues to dig his own grave.
I’ve been a fan of Molo but was at the game last week ( what a magnificent stadium !! ) and on more than one occasion he took at least until after the second tackle to get back after kick returns. On two occasions he took until after the 3rd tackle which I thought slack. Good player but perhaps his motor is not what it should be .

SBD82

Coach
Correct me if I'm wrong but we haven't had a ball distributing forward since C.Young. The game has changed - all you get is "get up & go men" who eat up the metres to satisfy stats requirements. I laugh when I hear the enlightened Commentators nowadays praising the efforts of a forward who has had 11 runs & gained 110 metres - WOW , HERCULIAN. When you consider the defence is back 10 metres all they have achieved is reaching the defensive line , no line breaks , no pass to initiate further attack & it equates to a run every 7 or 8 minutes. I can see these Boffins really are earning their money.
Young , Reddy & Co used to handle the ball 2 or 3 times in a set , take the punsihment & dish out some of their own. Get 'em down to training to teach our Up & Comers how to play.
By the way - in relation to defence - the Coach who has the balls to shorten the front line & play his lock & half as a second line will win the Comp by a street. Imagine Ben Hunt not doing a forward's work , he would be fresher to organise our attack & Sloan could have a run at fullback because he would not be expected to be the sole voice sorting out our defensive structure from the back.
This is some champagne boomer comedy. Thanks for the laugh.

Old Timer

Coach
Tonight we need to decisively win the battle in the middle then have Hunt taking the line on feeding the ball off to Simms, Bird, Sua
Our best chances to score will come off the Molo bros coming off the bench
Use the right tactics we win this game

Lindsay Moss

Juniors
I’ve been a fan of Molo but was at the game last week ( what a magnificent stadium !! ) and on more than one occasion he took at least until after the second tackle to get back after kick returns. On two occasions he took until after the 3rd tackle which I thought slack. Good player but perhaps his motor is not what it should be .
Agree i think a lot of our forwards need to work on thier cardio

Illusion

Bench
Tonight we need to decisively win the battle in the middle then have Hunt taking the line on feeding the ball off to Simms, Bird, Sua
For some reason I said in another thead that I think we will go close to winning this and I don't get that often ..... So as you say if they di it right they can win this ......

Crush

Coach
What are these “tactics” you speak of?
At dragons we don’t not employ such rubbish. We get our backs to all take a hit up for 5 tackles then fling the ball to Ben Hunt for a poorly weighted bomb (as our forwards are walking back onside)

Illusion

Bench
What are these “tactics” you speak of?
At dragons we don’t not employ such rubbish. We get our backs to all take a hit up for 5 tackles then fling the ball to Ben Hunt for a poorly weighted bomb (as our forwards are walking back onside)
To a Tee ..... Say no more .....

Latest posts