What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths game

I'm just a misty-eyed nostalgist but I'd love to see a Sydney-based, breakaway comp that played "Traditional" rugby league. I've dreamt of it for ages.
No tackle rule, 5 yard rule. No silly 10 metre lines marking out the pitch like a gridiron field. Long-sleeved cotton jerseys with no sponsorship - or just discreet patches like the AFL guernseys. Marching band at half-time. Striped cardboard corner posts. NO BUNKER. And all played, Magic Round-style, at a different suburban ground every week.
St George, Wests, Balmain, Souths, Norths, Newtown, Canterbury and St Marys.
It would go big.

justadragon

Bench
I'm just a misty-eyed nostalgist but I'd love to see a Sydney-based, breakaway comp that played "Traditional" rugby league. I've dreamt of it for ages.
No tackle rule, 5 yard rule. No silly 10 metre lines marking out the pitch like a gridiron field. Long-sleeved cotton jerseys with no sponsorship - or just discreet patches like the AFL guernseys. Marching band at half-time. Striped cardboard corner posts. NO BUNKER. And all played, Magic Round-style, at a different suburban ground every week.
It would go big.
Yes i would like to have the good old days back again but unfortunately without the sponsorship dollars these days or visual backing, you would die a slow death through lack of support. Mr V'landys wont allow it :))

Inisai Toga

Juniors
It would go big.
.. no kicking tees- get your own sand; no trainers running around coaching sides; see chip and regathers, more Ronnie Coote cover tackles; ball distributing second rowers; match of the round at Sunday at 3:00, 1 commentator calling the game…. had the same dream NotB!

justadragon

Bench
.. no kicking tees- get your own sand; no trainers running around coaching sides; see chip and regathers, more Ronnie Coote cover tackles; ball distributing second rowers; match of the round at Sunday at 3:00, 1 commentator calling the game…. had the same dream NotB!
c'mon you guys!!! you are bringing a tear to my heart, stop it :))) I actually had to think about Rugby League and not V'landys Ball.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
I actually think we can beat South Sydney! Any predictions along this line comes with the expectation of greater control of the football than was demonstrated on Friday night.

Don’t think we lose too much with possible suspensions and the replacements might suit the balance of the team. Also, Su’a will be better for the run and a Smokey for Origin 3. Souths aren’t far above us and not the side of last few years. We stay in the game (ala Anzac Day) and build pressure we can get the Rabbits.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
I actually think we can beat South Sydney! Any predictions along this line comes with the expectation of greater control of the football than was demonstrated on Friday night.

Don’t think we lose too much with possible suspensions and the replacements might suit the balance of the team. Also, Su’a will be better for the run and a Smokey for Origin 3. Souths aren’t far above us and not the side of last few years. We stay in the game (ala Anzac Day) and build pressure we can get the Rabbits.

You would hope that the side doesn't play that poorly again, but is your optimism based on anything other than wishful thinking? Because what sticks out for me from last Fridays game was not the lack of control, it was the stupid errors. Lawrie with a late hit on the kicker, Mbye with a kick out on the full, Lomax with a dumb pass - these were all errors in our own half. We do that against Souths or any other team and we're no hope. And I don't see Lawrie and Lomax learning from that game, I don't think they're smart enough to change how they play.

Inisai Toga

Juniors
You would hope that the side doesn't play that poorly again, but is your optimism based on anything other than wishful thinking? Because what sticks out for me from last Fridays game was not the lack of control, it was the stupid errors. Lawrie with a late hit on the kicker, Mbye with a kick out on the full, Lomax with a dumb pass - these were all errors in our own half. We do that against Souths or any other team and we're no hope. And I don't see Lawrie and Lomax learning from that game, I don't think they're smart enough to change how they play.
Fair call, plenty of stupid errors but compounded by poor ball control at vital times e.g. Molo knock on, someone else two tackles later then Su’a knock on near the line. Woods play the ball 30 out and Suli knock on near the line….
As mentioned Lawrie might not play, Lomax should be on his best behaviour due to public criticism. Mybe and Bird to bench (at best). Either Sullivan or McCullough are both better hooker options. Rava, Simms (maybe not playing Origin) and Su’a back in the pack and maybe Fui or Burns back in the 17. Additionally, players slightly embarrassed, playing at home and not as spooked by Souths as previous years….

Last edited:

possm

Coach
I yearn for the halcyon days of the 60s. Traveling to the SCG or Kogarah highly confident of a win no matter who we are playing was a great feeling. My kids just don't understand why I remain a mad Dragons supporter.

Crush

Coach
For this game I would like to see the following changes.
Lomax dropped to reserve grade, don’t care who replaces him.
Bird dropped to reserve grade, don’t care who replaces him.
Woods dropped to reserve grade, don’t care who replaces him.
McCulloch dropped to 18th man (no point him playing reserve grade)
Mbye played at 14 where he belongs.
Sullivan selected at halfback, Hunt moved to hooker.
If these changes are made I’ll be genuinely excited for the game, if not then I’ll watch home and away re-runs.

Old Timer

Coach
It would go big.
St John's volunteers and canvas stretcher on the sideline, the magic sponge, the leather ball, the toe poke, only 2 replacements that have to have played the lower grade game, and of course some biff and the scrum that breaks up with someone on their back out cold.
A couple of pies and a few beers then back to the Bat & Ball or the Cauliflower.
Yep count me in.

Walpole

Juniors
It would go big.
You'll need a couple of spots for Glebe and Annandale.

Overseadragon

Juniors
After tonight, I reckon we should go with something like this:

1. Ramsay
2. Rava
3. Feagai (until Lomax learns to play smart in ressies)
4. Suli
5. Feagai
6. Amone
7. Sullivan
8. F Molo
9. Hunt
10. McGuire
11. Sua
12. Sims
13. JDB

14. Bird
15. M Molo
16. Kerr
17. Woods or Burgess (only because we need some size)
18. Coric
Not bad but I'd like to try Sullivan at 7 hunt at 6 and I'm sure there's some improvement there

Parko1310

Juniors
Far out. ALMOST had some of the team selections correct. Hook’s finally moved de Belin to prop which at this stage is what is better for the team. Unfortunately the whole point of moving de Belin to prop should’ve been to make a stronger front row by getting lawrie out of there…. Instead Lawrie remains an automatic selection and our best front rower frank Molo is shuffled to the bench. WTF. Not to mention, Bird is still starting second row. Play him as lock and move sims into the second row, as was planned the ENTIRE PRE SEASON. Bird is horribly exposed on the edge in defence, moving him into the middle gives him less opportunity to have to make defensive decisions. And I’m sorry Lomax automatically selected again.. enough said. Hook’s made some improvements at the club in general, but my god his team selections are questionable and appears favouritism is prioritised over putting the best team on the park at times which is frustrating.

randomdragon

Juniors
Hooks strong point was bringing young players through at Panthers and Broncs. Unfortunately Not a lot happening on that front with us.
who are the young players you would like him to bring through with us? sloan can't defend or catch a high bomb, hunt won't be dropped and Sullivan is biding his time