What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Souths to start negotiations with Hayne this week

big boppa eel

Juniors
bartman said:
I think with all the focus on particular clubs and how they can do it/afford it and salary caps changes etc, we are missing out on the key element that makes this all take place - players and their managers trying to extract the very top dollar they can from anywhere they can.

Sure, that's their entitlement to do so, but it kind of shows you what type of people these guys are, and how much their current club and loyalty and satisfaction etc mean to them. Obviously great players that we should try to keep, but within reason. We have to operate and pay a squad as a whole, and have that as balanced as can be within what we can afford and what the rules lay down.

Players deserve an increase when they've achieved at higher levels eg rep selection, stepping up a grade, constant selection and performance etc. But if the players and managers are trying to extract maximum coin just for the sake of it, then in my opinion there's a limit to how much higher as a club we should try to follow the demands. If it means we lose the more greedy players after a few years of good service, then we and other clubs just have to wear that.

It seems players like Tahu and PJ left because they wanted different challenges (eg code swap, more game time/starting etc) more so than it being purely about the money. Anyone that's not prepared to do what's best for their (current) team/club as part of their personality (eg Willie) is setting themselves up to be someone who becomes of the outer of their club and who won't succeed in getting the increase they desire unless they head elsewhere anyway.

Whether Hayne and his manager (is it Manoa?) fall into this category is debatable. But I hope not, but the longer it takes them to commit to a decent offer from his current club that he should be happy with, the more it looks like he's just following the Joey Johns model of being a money hungry grub trying to extract the most for himself to the detriment of others in his current or future team...
I agree Bartman especially the last couple of lines, unfortunatley I do think that even at the tender age of 19 Hayne is all about the coin, which is ashame as he is going to earn a sh*t load one way or another.

JOB 3:14

Juniors
I don't think it matters how old you are. The fact that you have a manager, who is also seeing dollar signs, is enough to throw loyalty out the window. That's the bottom line. It's not the club, it's not the palyer's father. It's the player's manager doing what he is payed to do. His manager must have felt like he had hit the jackpot in 06. He has been licking his lips waiting for this scenario to transpire ever since because that is when he comes in to play and earn some money for himself, not Hayne. Such is modern sports, or rugby league for that matter.

The Colonel

Immortal
Interesting that Souths have entered the race to sign Mason today according to 2GB - Peter Cusack has been rumoured to have been offered a release from the remaining year on his contract to take up an England deal that was apparently offered for the end of next year. May put a hole in the plans to sign Hayne.....

bartman said:
Whether Hayne and his manager (is it Manoa?) fall into this category is debatable. But I hope not, but the longer it takes them to commit to a decent offer from his current club that he should be happy with, the more it looks like he's just following the Joey Johns model of being a money hungry grub trying to extract the most for himself to the detriment of others in his current or future team...

Just to follow up on this, Incase not everyone knows. Jarryd's Manager . . . Is Wayne Bevis. He is normally who we as a club go through as a player manager when we scout some one if I am not mistaken.

Gronk

Staff member
Does anyone have yesterdays MX Newspaper (freebee given out at Railway Stations) ?

It has a few comments from Hayne's Manager saying...

The he has not had a single phone call from Souths and he thought it was odd.

That Parra have tabled a 2 year offer and he will sit down with JH this week to discuss.

JH could not care less if Souths make an offer or not.

fish eel

Immortal
I had it but tossed it.

It said Beavis was meeting with Hayne yesterday to go through Parramatta's offer.

Souths had not contacted Beavis.

Beavis (not Hayne) said he wasn't bothered whether or not Souths made an offer.

Also said the final decisions was Haynes, and he (being Beavis) just wanted to sit down and work through the issues.

Latest posts