What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward, Do ya Love him yet

mxlegend99

Referee
Yep. Soward has killed it behind a forward pack that hasn't dominated a single game. Mansour and Idris are the only blokes who can do that. Pretty sad when our winger and centre can often make as many meters as our entire pack, or close to it.

maple_69

Bench
Yep. I understand Clearly has a very high opinion of Kites leadership contributions but at a certain point he also needs to contribute with metres up front. As does Mckendry. As does Docker. We have good options like BMM, Anderson and Grant. Assuming we play Api on the bench next year we may only have 1 prop on the bench. We'll need all 3 props to be putting in 100m+ games every week.

Pomoz

Bench
Yep. I understand Clearly has a very high opinion of Kites leadership contributions but at a certain point he also needs to contribute with metres up front. As does Mckendry. As does Docker. We have good options like BMM, Anderson and Grant. Assuming we play Api on the bench next year we may only have 1 prop on the bench. We'll need all 3 props to be putting in 100m+ games every week.

Our starting forward pack has been very average this year. I know there are a number of experienced league coaches on this forum and people who have been watching the game for a long time, my question is this, are we being unfair? Do they do the hard yards when the best players are on and so when Plum or Latimore come on its easier to make metres because the starting props are usually off? I struggle with this a bit because the game is so fluid. It is hard to tell if the swaps are matched. For example, did Latimore butt heads with Hargreaves on Saturday or only the subs? Hargreaves and Moa did 49 and 48 minutes, Sam and Brent 33 and 32 minutes. Meanwhile, Plummy and Latimore did 35 and 45 minutes.

Personally, I don't think it is open to debate. Latimore is the best prop at the club right now. His work rate, error rate and impact when he comes on is better than anything Kite, McKendry or Plum can deliver. As for Grant, he's not even the best prop in NSW cup!

I would love to know what the hell has happened to Grant and McKendry. They were once tipped to be superstars. I wouldn't bother retaining either of them except for depth in NSW cup.

Pomoz

Bench
[Edit - There has been plenty of discussion on this point and I should just say that the stats in our last game just support what the knowledgeable people on the is forum have been saying.]
If you look at the stats, the issue leaping off the page is the lack of metres from our back row. I will exclude Brown from that statement. In spite of his lack of fans in this forum, once again he delivered when the chips are down with 121m and 31 tackles. Menawhile, Docker, Taylor and Yeo made 42,77 and 75m respectively. Manu actually did his best work for a while with 99m and 22 tackles.

I will also point out that Taylor made 57 tackles and missed 2. He did his work in defence and still made 77m, but that means somebody else can do less tackles and make plenty of runs. At the moment we are missing a back rower who busts the line (as many people have already said on here).

To illustrate this, just look at the Roosters. They had both Williams (179m) and Cordner (189m) deliver huge metres. Their props both chipped in with 122 and 130m and made 33 and 38 tackles.

I can't help but think it is time for Jamal to move to the back row (as others have said) and bring up Smith, Yeo or Blake into the centres. I think Cartwright should get more minutes but he is only young and will fade in and out as he gets used to the NRL slog. He will deliver more next season and will be best used for impact this year.

At the moment we have too many Van Der Voorts and not enough Geyers and Cartwrights.

Last edited:

maple_69

Bench
I'd say Idris and Manu should switch over the off season. Blake is the best option right now imo.

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't announced any signings other than Api. Nor extensions really. Wonder what the plan is for the Grant money.

betcats

Referee
I'd say Idris and Manu should switch over the off season. Blake is the best option right now imo.

I'm also a bit surprised we haven't announced any signings other than Api. Nor extensions really. Wonder what the plan is for the Grant money.

We extended Blake this year and signed both the Jennings boys off the top of my head.

Edit: I think Seggy as well was given an extension.

friend10

Juniors
Is Blake Austin better than Soward. Should we have let him go???
Blake takes on the line and threatens the line more.

Kilkenny

Coach
There will almost certainly be additional recruits for 2015. Yes a front rower will be one as well as some back up recruits much like some of the players we brought in for 2014.

Blake Austin has done well but has not yet really cemented a position with the Tigers. I sorta get the feeling he will be one of those players too good for NSW Cup but perhaps not quite NRL standard week in week out. I hope he does and has a great career but for the moment we are well served with our current halves combination.

betcats

Referee
Blake Austin is a good player ill admit I regret losing him now. Id still rather have Sowie going into the finals though.

maple_69

Bench
Wade Graham is the one who got away. He's the only one of all the big names or boom juniors who I wish we had of kept. Close to Origin in a hopelessly inept, horribly coached and terribled managed club. He would work well with Sowie or be a perfect playmaking lock.

We lost Wade because Matt Elliott is truly a horrible coach and has no idea about rugby league. Anyone one of us would be a better coach than that muppet

Thirsty Panther

Juniors
I agree, of all the players we have lost, Wade would be one I'd be happy to have back.

Watched him playing a few years ago in the under 20s and he was miles ahead of everyone else. I said to myself this ones a keeper. Why we let him go is beyond me.

MrAnonymous

Bench
Is Blake Austin better than Soward. Should we have let him go???
Blake takes on the line and threatens the line more.
They are 2 completely different players you cant compare them.

Wouldn't of minded seeing
6.Austin
7.Soward

But Cleary obviously wasn't a fan of him, he should of played most of last yr in first grade.

maple_69

Bench
I think Peach will be the better player and I don't think they could have been in the same side. We had heaps of backrowers and couldn't keep them all. Austin probably didn't get the chances he should have but he also never set the world on fire in first grade so I don't think it was a bad decision.

The Enforcer

Juniors
Consider the Soward honeymoon period over. Showed absolutely nothing when the team needed him the most and deny it all you want, but some of you are starting to worry about him.I haven't bagged your side, but Soward is not the guy who is going to do the job when it counts at the end of the year. Wallace was at 50% today and Soward couldn't lift to the level needed.

Last edited:

MaxPower

Juniors
Why are you so interested in Soward? Did he break your heart? You have to let it go mate. I know it's hard, but try and move on with your life.

The Enforcer

Juniors
Why are you so interested in Soward? Did he break your heart? You have to let it go mate. I know it's hard, but try and move on with your life.
Just calling it as i see it. I have no ill will towards the Panthers, but he is the guy who many of you think/thought would be the X factor, but he's starting to show the inconsistency that can't be afforded come the end of the year. Wallace was on 1 leg and Soward did not step up for the second week in a row.