What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward: Dragons frustrated at coming undone

YEHHHBOYYYD

Juniors
St George Illawarra five-eighth Jamie Soward has pinpointed the next month as make or break for the Dragons as they continue to battle the rigours of the representative season.

Injuries and fatigue have taken a heavy toll on the reigning premiers, who sat four points clear at the top of the NRL ladder just three weeks ago but slipped to third behind Manly and Melbourne last night following the Sea Eagles’ narrow victory over Parramatta.

The absence of back-rowers Ben Creagh and Beau Scott – both injured in State of Origin II – was telling as the Dragons fell to their second consecutive loss against Brisbane on Friday night while Brett Morris, Dean Young and Matt Cooper were also notable absentees.

Frustrated by the impact the representative season has had on the club, Soward admitted life wouldn’t get any easier when St George Illawarra face a red-hot Manly outfit next Monday but insisted they couldn’t afford to let another game slip away.

“It’s very important for us,” he told NRL.com. “If you look at the ladder and how congested it is near the top, we need to make sure we get back, get a victory and just cement a couple of wins around this third Origin period.

“Hopefully by then we can start to get a few blokes back. I mean, the thing for us at the moment is we’ve had a terrible run with injury so we’re trying to get those blokes back on the paddock and hopefully we can do that in the next few weeks.”

The Dragons picked up this season where they left off in last year’s grand final win over the Roosters with 10 wins from their first 11 games but have since hit a brick wall with a draw against Parramatta and losses to the Gold Coast and Brisbane over the past three weeks.

The next month isn’t easy either as they host Manly at WIN Stadium on Monday night and face Newcastle the following week minus their plethora of Origin stars before finally enjoying a much-needed bye weekend.

Asked how the players felt about the impact the rep season has had on the Telstra Premiership, Soward said the Dragons had been frustrated that their good work during the early rounds was being ground away.

“It really has a big impact and I guess it’s Catch-22,” he said. “We had been playing some pretty good footy up until the Origin period and we’ve really worked hard on establishing our position at the top of the ladder there – then we lost it in a couple of weeks.

“It’s unfortunate but I guess that’s the price you pay for success.

“I think the guys that have filled in have done a great job but we do need a couple of wins to cement our spot and get us through this Origin period so we can look to the back end of the season.”

Soward himself has been heavily involved in the representative season in 2011, impressing for Country Origin in May and earning a State of Origin debut for NSW where he played a key role in last week’s stunning 18-8 win that levelled the series.

But he admitted to being surprised by just how exhausting the whole experience has been.

“A little bit tired – it’s very tiring,” he said when asked how he was holding up. “I’ve even asked a few of the guys like Gaz (Mark Gasnier) how they’ve done it for so long over the years and they just laugh and say, ‘Well, we just do it because we have to’.

“So yeah, I’m a bit tired at the moment but at the same time I’m loving the opportunity and wouldn’t change it for the world.”

The NRL this week announced a revamped schedule for 2012 with the traditional May Test match and City v Country games to be held on a stand-alone weekend – the first time rep games have been granted their own weekend since State of Origin was played on a Sunday night in 2001.

There are also plans to switch Origin to Monday nights from 2012 to allow players further recovery time, with Soward giving the proposals the thumbs up.

“It (State of Origin) is the pinnacle of our season, apart from a grand final, so we need to be on a stand-alone weekend,” he said. “That way you get a chance for everyone from the bush to come in, from Queensland or from NSW, and experience everything that is Origin.

“I think you’d find that if it was on a [stand-alone] weekend, the players would be backing up [the following weekend] and you’d get the best team out there every week instead of what we’ve got now.

“I mean, it’s great to give those young blokes an opportunity, and we realise that at the Dragons, but in saying that I’m sure you can see how it has affected us the last couple of weeks. And we’re not through it yet…”

Soward kept his cards close to his chest when asked about NSW coach Ricky Stuart’s request for his Dragons and Sea Eagles players to stand down from club duties next weekend although it is expected that he will be named to take the field on Monday night when Wayne Bennett announces his team later today.

“I haven’t even really thought about it, to tell you the truth,” Soward said. “I’ve just been relaxing for a few days and have left it at that.”

http://nrl.com/soward-dragons-frustrated-at-coming-undone/tabid/10874/newsid/63415/default.aspx

Minh

First Grade
It's bloody frustrating to see all the hard work come undone a little, and would be even more frustrating if the blues dont win after all this. I'm confident with near our full squad we can beat anyone and go back to back, I'm hoping we can still secure a top 2 position and that would be a key to our chances but it wont be the end of the world either.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Manly and The Storm each play us (sadly Melbourne at AAMI park) and then each other in Rd 25
Look to the Cowboys to make a strong run as well, they're playing lowly ranked teams at the back end and most at home

possm

Coach
The Dragons will bounce back. SOO and injuries to key players has brought us back to the field for a few weeks. Once Cooper and Scott are back on deck and after SOO 3 is over, the dragons will climb to the top of the ladder again. 3 monor premierships and back to back GF are still a real prospect.

Anth2232

Bench
f**k I can't wait to get back to OZ to watch the boys play. Loving my holiday but am missing the games, atmosphere etc

Divine

Bench
Our blokes have proved themselves at the higher level. Despite the injuries and disruption to the team they'll bring added composure, grit and self-belief come semi-final time. Short term loss / Long term gain.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Our draw is heavily back-loaded with home games. We always knew the Origin time of year was going to be rough but I am positive we'll come home with a wet sail...

DJShaksta

First Grade
You guys will be sweet again once Origin is finished.
Who gives a shite who is in P1 halfway through qualifying.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Seriously, the Dragons need to win probably 2 more games at best and they will finish top 8 (assuming 28 pts is the cut off).

If they don't finish Minor Premiers it's not the end of the day. 2 Minor Premierships and 3 finals series since Benny took over is a pretty good effort. We can't expect MP every year. I will be justy happy to make the 8 cause as long as they are in it they have every chance of winning back to back GF's, especially if they are at full strength. Getting to the 8 full strength is more important than MP.

Godz Illa

Coach
If they reach the finals the team is good enough to win it, there's no doubt about that. But you want to be finishing the season in the top 2, that would be our aim. Top 2 guarantees a second bite no matter what, and a win guarantees a week off.

InThatNumber

Juniors
This was always going to happen, better to lose a couple now than in the run to the finals... Saints will be right.

butter81

Juniors
we'll be fine. Just everything is taking its toll at the moment. we'll be ok once we get out full team back and the rep season is over.

butter81

Juniors
There's a lot of micro managing going on at the moment, with players here there everywhere. it'll settle down in the next 3 weeks, and we'll get our season back on track. In wayne we trust...