What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward (early release)

Father Ted

First Grade
The article was titled "Phil Rothfield says".
Say no more.
If you want to impart blame, why don't you statr with Peter Doust and his management of the Dragon. Why don't you look at the rumours that talk about Doust and Craig Young not giving Price any support, why don't you look at Chase Stanley's dreadfull defence. Look at the whole shape and form of the Dragons attack.

There is a culture problem at the Dragons and this sort of thing usually starts at the top.

And if our management have stooped so low that they are using a shite journo from the tele to make Soward so uncomfortable that he'll leave it confirms everything I think about our front office.. I feel for Soward he's been ordinary but he's not alone in that dept. Think about how many players we play out of position every week , think about our organic llocal juniors growth policy ta ta to that. Can you smell a fish rotting from the head down? Just asking..

And if our management have stooped so low that they are using a shite journo from the tele to make Soward so uncomfortable that he'll leave it confirms everything I think about our front office.. I feel for Soward he's been ordinary but he's not alone in that dept. Think about how many players we play out of position every week , think about our organic llocal juniors growth policy ta ta to that. Can you smell a fish rotting from the head down? Just asking..

Well Father, something stinks. Some-one is putting Jamie Soward out to dry. I shudder to think that it comes from the top. I hope not. I have sung Peter Doust's praises.

I would have thought the 'Dragon's way' is more dignified and less political, and that Jamie Soward gets the send off he deserves as one of the champions in a champion team who was instrumental in delivering us a GF victory. He's earned it, regardless of his current form. Steve Price carried the water bottles. You get what I mean.

Father Ted

First Grade
Well Father, something stinks. Some-one is putting Jamie Soward out to dry. I shudder to think that it comes from the top. I hope not. I have sung Peter Doust's praises.

I would have thought the 'Dragon's way' is more dignified and less political, and that Jamie Soward gets the send off he deserves as one of the champions in a champion team who was instrumental in delivering us a GF victory. He's earned it, regardless of his current form. Steve Price carried the water bottles. You get what I mean.

I do . I espect you're opinion on Doustie , we disagree but I respect you're opinion .And I hope we as a club remember our core values. A player who helped us win a grand final should be given a respectful exit even when it's time to go.

hardbaby

Coach
I agree with the core of what you say. It isn't very dignified. But Soward is a mental basket case. I am over him and his attitude. So much talent. And so much of it wasted. Maybe the Board just reached a breaking point and went enough is enough. Quite frankly if I had an employee (highly paid and a leader to boot) like this in my business when I finally lost my cool I'd get him out so fast his head would spin. It's hard but it's business.

I agree with the core of what you say. It isn't very dignified. But Soward is a mental basket case. I am over him and his attitude. So much talent. And so much of it wasted. Maybe the Board just reached a breaking point and went enough is enough. Quite frankly if I had an employee (highly paid and a leader to boot) like this in my business when I finally lost my cool I'd get him out so fast his head would spin. It's hard but it's business.

Yeah fair point. Business IS business. I just think more disciplinary stuff should have happened a whole lot earlier and more often. Not suddenly like this.

but... we don't know the finer detail and there may well be good reasons that we cannot guess. Still hate seeing Dragons stoop to lower than their usual high standards. Being held in high regard is a benefit of coming to Dragons.

Father Ted

First Grade
Still hate seeing Dragons stoop to lower than their usual high standards. Being held in high regard is a benefit of coming to Dragons.

This

hardbaby

Coach
Yep agree with that. It also shows how truly disappointed with him they are in him. And I mirror that sentiment.

jenninga

First Grade
Noticed while reading the Heralds piece on the Soward saga,Chase Stanley was mentioned as a possible replacement for Soward against Newcastle.I know some may laugh at this option but i actually think it could work.
I wouldn't mind actually seeing Chase in the playmaker role at 6,at least it gets him out of the centres.

TheRev

Coach
If Chase goes to 5/8, thats an awful lot of pressure on Fien to do 'all' the kicking.. its also a reason why King needs to be on the field as much as possible, and even Rein put a kick in last week.

Thats why someone like Drinkwater would bring a kicking game and goalkicking too.. but tbh we may still have Soward/Fien this weekend..

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
I love Soward but it's time for both he and the Dragons to move on it's not doing either party any good, good luck Sowie.

I agree Minh re Sowie moving on....if hes not comfortable here or the establishment isn't then let him go....put it this way, I'm certain most of us would agree that if Widdop sought an early exit from The Storm we wouldn't mind.

On a side note Geez I'd love to have young Shaun Johnson from the Warriors with us...I really rate that bloke...he would be exactly the person we would be looking for to fill our half back role.....and that goes for Thurston or Cherry Evans etc.

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
If Chase goes to 5/8, thats an awful lot of pressure on Fien to do 'all' the kicking.. its also a reason why King needs to be on the field as much as possible, and even Rein put a kick in last week.

Thats why someone like Drinkwater would bring a kicking game and goalkicking too.. but tbh we may still have Soward/Fien this weekend..
Dugan can kick also,he has a good punt on him,and i don't think Chase would be bad either.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I admire the Titans for what they have done. Got rid of Prince and now have Albert Kelly who has been to 5 clubs and a young Aidan Sezer. They will develope into a good halves combo for the future.

TheRev

Coach
I still feel like its weird that Drinkwater hasnt been given a decent shot before we go out and buy someone like Keary or Williams who are fairly green too, none of them a guaranteed fit into 1st grade.

Rangi was different because he bought with him a lot of experience, all be it in super league but hes a veteran in comparison and still lightning quick.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that the whole damned thing is madness and though I’ve held my tongue on the subject for a while I’m having some massive problems understanding what the hell Steve Price is doing and as a corollary, what the hell the club is doing hanging on to him.

• Fein is not a halfback; he’s not playing like a half back. He doesn’t have the passing game, kicking game or running game of a halfback. He panics under pressure and doesn’t have enough pace. Okay, in an emergency he can fill in but he does not have the skill set to manage the task week in week out
• Mitch Rein has no kicking game nor an adequate passing game and his number of DH runs lately has also fallen substantially. This is primarily because he is so easy to read that he is constantly tagged. Doesn’t Price realise that the only game that we have won in the past half dozen or so was without Mitch Rein?
• Nobody is capable of delivering a manageable pass at the line which is one reason why the entire team looks like lost sheep in attack
• The fact that Soward won’t take the ball to the line and that Fein lacks the pace or size to break the line means we can create the doubt that gives our backline movements any chance maintain momentum. Defences can slide with impunity.
• There are any number of options (IMO) that would work better than Price’s current formula. Fein to hooker (he’s the best hooker that we have FFS). Soward to half (where he is closer to the line from the getgo. King or Stanley or Dugan or anyone at 5/8 who has a bit of size but who hopefully has soft enough hands to put the likes of Creagh and Cooper into gaps at the line

Steve Price has not shown me in one single game that he is capable of coaching at NRL level. Please feel free to give me examples if I’m incorrect here.

Soward is not the problem
Prior is not the problem
Vidot is not the problem
Fein is not the problem
Stanley is not the problem
Discipline is not the problem
Attitude is not the problem

Put a team together is that is playing where they are supposed to be playing
Give them some structure

Coach them and give the fans something that isn’t embarrassing rubbish

st.phil

Bench
I think that the whole damned thing is madness and though I?ve held my tongue on the subject for a while I?m having some massive problems understanding what the hell Steve Price is doing and as a corollary, what the hell the club is doing hanging on to him.

? Fein is not a halfback; he?s not playing like a half back. He doesn?t have the passing game, kicking game or running game of a halfback. He panics under pressure and doesn?t have enough pace. Okay, in an emergency he can fill in but he does not have the skill set to manage the task week in week out
? Mitch Rein has no kicking game nor an adequate passing game and his number of DH runs lately has also fallen substantially. This is primarily because he is so easy to read that he is constantly tagged. Doesn?t Price realise that the only game that we have won in the past half dozen or so was without Mitch Rein?
? Nobody is capable of delivering a manageable pass at the line which is one reason why the entire team looks like lost sheep in attack
? The fact that Soward won?t take the ball to the line and that Fein lacks the pace or size to break the line means we can create the doubt that gives our backline movements any chance maintain momentum. Defences can slide with impunity.
? There are any number of options (IMO) that would work better than Price?s current formula. Fein to hooker (he?s the best hooker that we have FFS). Soward to half (where he is closer to the line from the getgo. King or Stanley or Dugan or anyone at 5/8 who has a bit of size but who hopefully has soft enough hands to put the likes of Creagh and Cooper into gaps at the line

Steve Price has not shown me in one single game that he is capable of coaching at NRL level. Please feel free to give me examples if I?m incorrect here.

Soward is not the problem
Prior is not the problem
Vidot is not the problem
Fein is not the problem
Stanley is not the problem
Discipline is not the problem
Attitude is not the problem

Put a team together is that is playing where they are supposed to be playing
Give them some structure

Coach them and give the fans something that isn?t embarrassing rubbish

Mate Fein, Soward, Stanley, and Vidot are definitely PART of the problem