What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward Early Release

TheRev

Coach
We should swap soward for rangi
I was just going to ask this! But it would be too convenient to do a mid-season swap like that haha, esp since Sowie is contracted to penrith next year so at best its 4 months or whatever.

And anyway Rangi not coming seems to be other issues away from football anyway that would still need to be resolved.

It's down to man management; something Price is very short on.

Soward will run through the line when there is a hole to run through.
Price's plans do not deliver a hole to run through.

So your definition of Man Management is how to manage a man to run through a hole? :lol:

Blood Shot Eyes

First Grade
Look to be honest we can all speculate as to why Soward is leaving/has left but theres only one person that knows the answer and that is Jamie himself.....good luck to him in his future endeavours when and wherever that will be ...I think its fair to say at times hes bought joy to us supporters and at times not so much......the main thing now is to look to the future and support those that are currently playing.....it could be worse we could not have the 5/8 position covered with a quality play next year....like the now positions filled situation with fullback.....we just need that elusive half back filled and we will be on song again

Minh

First Grade
Penrith are silly not to swoop on him, imagine Widdop was available to come right now.

TruSaint

Referee
There are no winners here... period.

Every club has internal friction, and without knowing too much, its obvious Jamie has a few issues. These matters should be kept in house. To the best of our knowledge Sowie didnt break any club rules, go out on the piss, or bring the club into disrepute. His form was down and again, from hearsay there was little between he and Price.

Unfortunately, Saints and the NRL in general are pretty dismal is sending players off. The AFL have it down pat.

The last decent farewell i can recall was at Kogarah when Tingha played his last game. Did a handstand and kissed the gound. Those who were their left heartbroken.

Ohh well , good luck jamie and Saints.

bottle

Coach
So your definition of Man Management is how to manage a man to run through a hole? :lol:

Of course.
Wait, are you suggesting there is another meaning?

Look, it wouldn't matter what Price did, in the eyes of some anything he does is wrong.
Doesn't make changes - can't man manage and is indecisive.
Does make changes - was the wrong change, can't man manage and is scapegoating.

It might just be that the last year has been all about 'man management' by working with a bloke who is an icon of sorts to try and work through both on field and off field issues. In the end it just didn't work out. It's a shame but it happens sometimes. Time to move on now.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
The last decent farewell i can recall was at Kogarah when Tingha played his last game. Did a handstand and kissed the gound. Those who were their left heartbroken.
Ah, what a game.

Blacklock's last game at the spiritual home, against Manly and 24 points behind with 25 minutes to go. Tingha started running infield looking for the ball, scored two tries and set up another. Saints scored five tries in last 20 minutes to win just before the bell.

The fans that stayed in the rain made it pretty clear that he was going to get a send off regardless. But the nature of this farewell game was inspired by Tingha himself.

jenninga

First Grade
Ah, what a game.

Blacklock's last game at the spiritual home, against Manly and 24 points behind with 25 minutes to go. Tingha started running infield looking for the ball, scored two tries and set up another. Saints scored five tries in last 20 minutes to win just before the bell.

The fans that stayed in the rain made it pretty clear that he was going to get a send off regardless. But the nature of this farewell game was inspired by Tingha himself.
Then the poor bloke had a brain explosion on the siren and nearly gave them the game with that kick.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
lol. Yes he did. Thankfully nothing came of it.

I reckon he was just so swept up in the whole thing that he didn't want the game to end.

TruSaint

Referee
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/n...to-finish-season/story-fni3fbgt-1226661497993

JAMIE Soward is set to make a shock defection to the UK Super League for the remainder of this year.
St George Illawarra have given Soward their blessing to finish the season elsewhere and The Daily Telegraph can reveal Soward will apply for a British work visa this week.
Soward's agent, Sam Ayoub, last night confirmed talks with "several" UK Super League clubs had commenced over the weekend and he is hopeful of finalising a short-term deal within the next three or four days.
Ayoub declined to reveal which clubs were interested, but it appears certain Soward will now take an English sojourn before joining Penrith on a four-year deal in November.
"We've been looking at options, both here in the NRL and England," Ayoub said. "We feel it would be good for Jamie to start afresh in England, before he returns to Penrith. There are several Super League clubs showing interest to have Jamie on board for the rest of this year."
Share on email
Share on facebook
Share on twitter
Share on linkedin
Share on google_plusone_share

It's likely Soward will continue to train with Dragons, and play for their NSW Cup feeder side Illawarra Cutters, until he gets the green light to depart. As former Wests Tigers playmaker Jacob Miller discovered last month, UK work visas can take several weeks to be processed.

Jamie Soward

503411-jamie-soward.jpg

Source: The Daily Telegraph

That means it's unlikely Soward has played his last game as a contracted Dragons player and he should again be selected for NSW Cup this weekend. Nevertheless, it's been a heady and swift divorce.
Less than two weeks ago, Soward was an established and senior member of St George Illawarra's starting side. But a one-on-one meeting with coach Steve Price following the team's 16-14 loss to Canterbury signalled the end.
Price's dissatisfaction was not confined to Soward's below-par form.
Disciplinary lapses had also irked the coach, who gave Soward last Monday off training to clear his head.
DRAGONS: SOWARD DROPPED TO RESERVE GRADE
The former NSW Origin pivot returned to discover he had been dropped to NSW Cup and replaced by Chase Stanley, but played strongly in the Cutters' 28-26 loss to Newcastle last Saturday.
He was also dropped late last season, although Price and Soward vehemently denied a falling out at the time.
Soward joined the Dragons on a mid-season transfer from the Roosters in 2007, when Nathan Brown was coaching the Big Red V.
Brown is now in charge of St Helens, who are not among the English clubs vying for Soward's services.
After losing veteran playmaker Craig Gower to Newcastle this week, the London Broncos shape as an option.

TruSaint

Referee
lol. Yes he did. Thankfully nothing came of it.

I reckon he was just so swept up in the whole thing that he didn't want the game to end.

Special moment Willow.
Not ashamed to say mate, i was watering like a baby.
He bled red and white.

TruSaint

Referee
Then the poor bloke had a brain explosion on the siren and nearly gave them the game with that kick.

Jenninga, i remember after the kick and nothing came of it, Tingha holding his head thinking WTF did i do... lol.
Luv the guy

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Looks confirmed, almost.

I assume the club will be paying out his contract.

While he has been denied a proper send off, it's not bad result for Soward. He gets a few months in the UK, possibly two pay days. He'll most likely carve it up over there and they'll want him back after Penrith are done.

Soward gave us some excellent service. He has been our top point scorer for the last few seasons, won us plenty of games. From his first match with us you could see the whole side lift. Any player from the 2010 premiership winning side is a champ in my books.

Good luck Sowie, thanks for the memories.

Elias1983

Coach
Looks confirmed, almost.

I assume the club will be paying out his contract.

While he has been denied a proper send off, it's not bad result for Soward. He gets a few months in the UK, possibly two pay days. He'll most likely carve it up over there and they'll want him back after Penrith are done.

Soward gave us some excellent service. He has been our top point scorer for the last few seasons, won us plenty of games. From his first match with us you could see the whole side lift. Any player from the 2010 premiership winning side is a champ in my books.

+1...

I'm gonna watch that tigers semi from 2010 tonight in his honour!:D

TruSaint

Referee

+ 1

Willow

Assistant Moderator
P.S. Re the article image: 'Dragons all time point scorer' - why they continue to try and rewrite history is beyond me. Last time I checked, Graeme Langlands also played for the Dragons.

Elias1983

Coach
P.S. Re the article image: 'Dragons all time point scorer' - why they continue to try and rewrite history is beyond me. Last time I checked, Graeme Langlands also played for the Dragons.

Daily telegraph.....nuff said.

DaDragon

Juniors
I feel very sorry for Jamie Soward and its very sad thinking about it.

I will never ever forget what he has done for this club. It was the best feeling in the world winning in 2010 and he was a huge part of that success.

Despite him playing poorly the last couple of seasons he really deserves more then this. However it is good to know the club is not stopping his progress and it seems this divorce is in the best interest of both parties.

Thank you for the memories Jamie Soward.