What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward goes but Thompson comes

ghostface

Juniors
We do need an edge back rower as most of our past options have either moved on or are now playing in the middle. This is a good signing from saints.

saint.nick

Coach
I really like this signing. He's better than Beau Scott. A big, powerful and fast player. Only teams with size can win competitions these days.

BennyV

Referee
There'll be a spot for him don't worry about that.

He's every bit the player of Harrison, Friz, Prior etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DSYs71QbsMc

He'll be in the centres, where he is fairly accomplished - highlights video from 2010 above. He is pretty quick for a big guy, good fend, good offload, good defender - he is basically Matt Cooper! Unless we get J.Moz next year, I'd say he'll fill in at centre for a year or two until young Runciman earns his shot, then he'll slot smoothly back into the backrow!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
That's the thing. He's a second rower who can slot into the centres, and that's one area where we're lacking.

I throw my hands up if we've seriously bought him as a centre. Moving Creagh more into the middle means Thompson'd work in the backrow with Frizzell. Then, if either of those two are injured there's Creagh and Prior who can move back to cover. Makes sense. We needed one extra forward.

But if a bloke that even Canberra see as mainly a back rower is actually our choice to replace one of the greatest centres ever to wear the red and white... seriously, words fail me. It's a decision that makes our centre stocks worse in 2014 than they are this year and still leaves us with a need to buy one more forward.

I'm going to give the club the benefit of the doubt here. He's a second rower with some potential and that's what we've bought him for.

And we'll announce the two actual centres and two halves (including one of Origin calibre in his mid 20s) we've signed as soon as we've finalised the details of their contracts.

TheRev

Coach

Nice vid, got me fire up.. granted that was 2010.. certainly back then he had serious pace, he burnt quite a few players.. and I LOVE when he just comes out and smashes the fullback lol.. gilmeister axe defence.

I'm glad to see a decent signing, it might start the ball rolling.. agree with the comments that its not exactly the position we were after, I think he will end up playing Right Centre, but give us options in the forwards if need be.

I also like that he mentioned his family in the twitter post, I like the idea of a family man.

Raider_69

Post Whore
I'd day if he can maintain his speed he'll make a damned good centre for us

If you've signed him to play centre... good grief!

He's a back rower who can fill in at centre if one of your outside backs gets injured mid game... if he's playing centre outside of that scenario, you boys have wasted some serious cash on a below average centre

Big man

Juniors
Cheers Walt. Have met JT a couple of times and I back up what you say. Quality club man.

Stoked with this signing.

He is above average rating, not a game changer by any stretch of the imagination, however, Carney and Dugan would be key signings and certainly qualify as game changer signings.

RedVDave

First Grade
Thompson
Harrison
Carney*
Dugan*
Vidot
Williams*
Weyman

I get the feeling Saints want a win in Canberra by at least the end of the decade, keep hope alive.

watatank

Coach
Thompson only played centre when he was young and Canberra had a lot of backrowers...long term he's a backrower. We'll be getting him at what should be his best years, hope he can help us here!

Minh

First Grade
looking at those highlights gives me a lot of confidence, for a big man he has plenty of spped and great footwork, well done Dragons.

hardbaby

Coach
Great signing. I think Creagh's best days as an edge backrower are behind him. He would be better in the middle where his extra athleticism can cause problems. Out wide you need more explosiveness that that.

JT was touted as a future captain for the Raiders. Hugely respected by the fans and his players. He is also super tough. With him, Fritz and Merrin we have the makings of a hard pack. Lots of young blokes coming through. We need to sign one more big, aggro prop (Kasiano would be ideal) and our pack is looking really good. Aubo defintely won't be signed now. We may still look at Mateo. Merrin and Mateo would make a deadly combination.

The added bonus is his ability to play centre. If we miss Morris we will probably play JT in Cooper's spot, with an aim to bringing on Runciman the year after. If we sign Dugan, then Beale will take the other centre spot, with both Stanley brothers trying to jag a spot somewhere. The backs look good.

Priorites:
1) Rangi (replaces Soward)
2) Dugan (fullback or five eight)
3) Kasiano (replaces Merrin at prop)
4) Another half (although Style will be back + Dugan can play in the halves)
5) Morris (would love him but not as important as the other signings)

God-King Dean

Immortal
He signed. Not gonna post the article cuz I'm on a stupid phone.

Looks like I was wrong about us being milked on this one.

I really hope we signed him as a backrower, & not as a centre.

Raider_69

Post Whore
With the loss of Thompson and Dugan, i dont like your chances of getting Sam Williams. He'll be #1 priority for the Raiders and without Dugan and Thompson, plenty of cash to ensure he's a Raider

jenninga

First Grade
With the loss of Thompson and Dugan, i dont like your chances of getting Sam Williams. He'll be #1 priority for the Raiders and without Dugan and Thompson, plenty of cash to ensure he's a Raider
You could be right ,Williams will enjoy playing for your feeder club while Mccrone and Campese play NRL.

LOYAL DRAGON

First Grade

You never know these days and if williams mind was made up he would signed for you guys already

Latest posts