What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward to halfback

Breathingfire

Juniors
Soward is not a 5/8's arsehole. Such a one dimensional attacking player should be used for kicking and directing traffic. He is not a play maker so if he must be in the team, then let him organise and kick and leave the play making for...oh f**k wait...we have no one else :(

redbreed

Juniors
Drinkwater is our best option at 7. Once he gets use to the defensive line speed he will be exactly what where looking for. It also doesn't help that we stand so flat in the backline either.

inside_pass

Bench
Soward is the best we have as a five-eighth.
If there was someone vying for his spot he'd be putting in a lot harder!

happyG

Juniors
unfortunately losing kyle pre-season has ruined our chances this season. he was the spark we needed.
i'd persist with drinkwater so he's ready to combine with kyle when he's back - then make way for jamie to leave. love the kid but i think he's grown stale with us.

If Soward refuses to do more than just pass then you would be better off throwing in Todd Ryan its a gamble but why persist with an under achieveing player if Soward keeps playing the same way.

Damn I would even say I rather see Jarred Allen given a go.

unfortunately losing kyle pre-season has ruined our chances this season. he was the spark we needed.
i'd persist with drinkwater so he's ready to combine with kyle when he's back - then make way for jamie to leave. love the kid but i think he's grown stale with us.

Kyle is a bit of a myth at this stage. Never proven to be the spark needed . Only played one or 2 nrl games in the halves.

happyG

Juniors
Kyle is a bit of a myth at this stage. Never proven to be the spark needed . Only played one or 2 nrl games in the halves.
he has spark, more so than guys like sowie and Hornby. like de Bellin, he is one that should have been blooded for the future of the club.

dragon-83

Juniors
If Soward refuses to do more than just pass then you would be better off throwing in Todd Ryan its a gamble but why persist with an under achieveing player if Soward keeps playing the same way.

Damn I would even say I rather see Jarred Allen given a go.

Well said coasty agree 110% with what ur saying

Red V Ultras

Juniors
Soward is shit. He'll have 4 or 5 good games in the year, if that, get a contract extension and play shit again. Takes a back seat and expects others to the work for him. Give the young kids a go Soward has had plenty of time, it's either excuses or someone else's fault with him.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
Soward is the man! He loves to wear the red v and I admit, needs to run more but he is a great little player and I want him there for life!

BrissyRedV

Bench
He already plays as a Halfback he just wears the 6 on his back. They play left side and right side for the most part. Agreed that he needs to run the ball a bit more to create that indecision in a defensive line but his organisation skills are very good. The Halves need to be him and Drinkwater. We cannot blood 2 new halves at once that would suicide on what already looks to be a potentially shakey year ahead. Drinkwater has already shown he is prepared to take the line on in the charity shield. He will be a fine player for us.

Morotti

Juniors
I have to say I think the club would be better served in not re-signing Soward. And I think putting him at halfback would be a bad idea.

Mr Red

First Grade
He already plays as a Halfback he just wears the 6 on his back. They play left side and right side for the most part. Agreed that he needs to run the ball a bit more to create that indecision in a defensive line but his organisation skills are very good. The Halves need to be him and Drinkwater. We cannot blood 2 new halves at once that would suicide on what already looks to be a potentially shakey year ahead. Drinkwater has already shown he is prepared to take the line on in the charity shield. He will be a fine player for us.

agree with this.
its all about left and right side halves, i am surprised there is still so many that dont get this.
drinkwater is the half, get rid of Fien.
i am simply amazed that Price somehow thinks Fien is the option that will best help the team at half.

Country Dragon

Juniors
agree with this.
its all about left and right side halves, i am surprised there is still so many that dont get this.
i am simply amazed that Price somehow thinks Fien is the option that will best help the team at half.

Lets not forget that Soward & Fein's forwards were getting steamrolled early on. I'm not Making excuses it just makes it harder for any half!

BrissyRedV

Bench
agree with this.

I can understand him wanting to ease him into first grade, but from the trials I think he is as ready as he is going to get. Prior to the trials I was of the opinion that easing him in and using Fein was the right thing to do. Post trials, I now think deep end is the way to go. I hope Price sees it this way. I think I seen enough in the trials of Drinkwater to see he can develop into a good half and lead us into the future. In the last quarter where he passed that intercept, a lot of players heads would have dropped but he ran back and managed to strip the ball back. Now whether the refs call was right or wrong that is another question, but that determination and desperation he showed for the team really says something about the young fella.

The thing people have to remember with players like cherry evans and reynolds is that Manly and Souths at the time had no other options but to chuck them in the deep end.

saints4ever

First Grade
I think we all know dw ain't going to get a go unless fien gets injured. Price proved this by waiting so long to throw him in even when the game was gone. If dw had any chance of playing he would've played an entire half

Latest posts