What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward to halfback

Godz Illa

Coach
He's always had a level of arrogance about him though, and for the most part I haven't seen a lack of effort in his game of late, particularly in defence where laziness is most costly. He's a roleplayer.

imo in the latter part of 2011 that it was purely fatigue that saw his form drop, and in 2012 with Gaz and Boyd gone he didn't have the space he needed to operate in. The role he plays isn't enough, but it's all he can provide.

It can be ok though. If the dummy halves step up.

Breathingfire

Juniors
He's always had a level of arrogance about him though, and for the most part I haven't seen a lack of effort in his game of late, particularly in defence where laziness is most costly. He's a roleplayer.

imo in the latter part of 2011 that it was purely fatigue that saw his form drop, and in 2012 with Gaz and Boyd gone he didn't have the space he needed to operate in. The role he plays isn't enough, but it's all he can provide.

It can be ok though. If the dummy halves step up.

Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I wouldn't be re-signing him for 2014 though. I think we need some fresh blood to reinvigorate the team, and adopt a new style of play.

It feels as though we are trying to win a competition the same way we won in 2010, but minus a super coach and a watered down version of our previous playing squad. We all know how tough it was to win in 2010; we were 1 point away from oblivion. We cannot expect to do it again using the same methods. We need to start from scratch. Just my 2c worth.

Last edited:

jenninga

First Grade
Yeah, I can see what you're saying. I wouldn't be re-signing him for 2014 though. I think we need some fresh blood to reinvigorate the team, and adopt a new style of play.

It feels as though we are trying to win a competition the same way we won in 2010, but minus a super coach and a watered down version of our previous playing squad. We all know how tough it was to win in 2010; we were 1 point away from oblivion. We cannot expect to do it again using the same methods. We need to start from scratch. Just my 2c worth.
Agree with this,Soward has been great for us ,however we need a halves combo to build around with our hookers who i like.

Soward's general play kicking was a bit below par last year as well. Probably due to playing behind a pack that lost a lot of its go-forward, once Weyman went down.

I did notice his early kicks seemed better last Friday night, though. If you're not going to run the ball Jamie, we need you "kicking to the seagulls" again.

watatank

Coach

I think last year overall, Price has tried to get the team to play a different way but didn't quite work out the way he wanted it to. It's hard when the team is used to playing a certain way (and winning) and it's not really his team, more the remnants of Bennett's team.

With the loss of a few more of our experienced players it's starting to look a little more like his team. I think they're trying to play differently this year and that should be evident if they persist with it. There's still lack of execution and patience in attack in the trials I think it's clear that they are working on more variation in attack. For example, look at what Price is trying to get Frizell to do, much more than what he asked of Beau Scott.

What I will say though is that while Soward and Fien are first choice halves, it does have that air of sameness. Still, we haven't even started round 1 yet, and I just don't see the point in panicking.

Last edited:

Minh

First Grade
I hope Soward recaptures form with the boot, his kicking game a massive strength of his game and I hope he is more accurate at kicking goals too this year seems a bit off radar and erratic compared to two years ago. He seems to play well when he kicks well and that includes goal kicking too, such a confidence player.

Latest posts