What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward to halfback

Elias1983

Coach
Saying it's "not his game" is a p*ss-poor excuse. We've put up with the bloke not running the f*cking football for 5 years now, either he performs this season (and that includes actually putting some doubt in the mind of the defence by running a few times a game) or he's gone by year's end.

He's one of my favourite ever Saints but enough is enough.

This 100%.

I love Sowie for his passion and fire, especially when he scores and he thumbs that Red-V to the crowd!

He excelled under Bennett because we were very structured and he had his role in the team which it made it simple and effective for him, but times have changed and he doesn't seem to have.

He comes across as a confidence player and a bit high maintanence and in a position such as his you need a player who can handle his own.

tumbidragon

First Grade
you can look at the management of Kyle Stanley last year for a lesson in how to get it completely & utterly wrong.
True that Rev. I was absolutely disgusted with the wasted opportunities to play Kyle in the halves last year! Price must not make the same mistake with Josh.

giboz71

First Grade
This 100%.

I love Sowie for his passion and fire, especially when he scores and he thumbs that Red-V to the crowd!

He excelled under Bennett because we were very structured and he had his role in the team which it made it simple and effective for him, but times have changed and he doesn't seem to have.

He comes across as a confidence player and a bit high maintanence and in a position such as his you need a player who can handle his own.

Soward is also one of our few players capable of creating opportunities for himself and others. Our attack last year suffered as he had an off year, and he didn't assert himself as much as he did in the Bennett years.

Without Soward firing, there is no one else to spark the attack. Fien and Cooper are old and injury prone, Vidot is erratic. Morris and Nighty languish on the wing. Beale possibly could be a spark from fullback?

Just don't know where our points will come from?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Soward is also one of our few players capable of creating opportunities for himself and others. Our attack last year suffered as he had an off year, and he didn't assert himself as much as he did in the Bennett years.

Without Soward firing, there is no one else to spark the attack. Fien and Cooper are old and injury prone, Vidot is erratic. Morris and Nighty languish on the wing. Beale possibly could be a spark from fullback?

Just don't know where our points will come from?
Without a doubt I believe Merrin is our spark. He may not be a slick back, but jeez he creates opportunities through great footwork and hands. Beale and Sowie would do well to play off his hips like a lost puppies.

Minh

First Grade
Without a doubt I believe Merrin is our spark. He may not be a slick back, but jeez he creates opportunities through great footwork and hands. Beale and Sowie would do well to play off his hips like a lost puppies.

Agree the ball he passed around the corner was pure Class with a capital C.

Minh

First Grade
And not to mention the line he ran off the Rein pass for the try, not many forwards have his footy brain and skill.

tumbidragon

First Grade
And not to mention the line he ran off the Rein pass for the try, not many forwards have his footy brain and skill.
He reminds me alot of Bull Bailey in his prime, except with a far greater skill set. Bull was great at running through holes, even up the middle of the pitch, he had great vision. Merrin has continued to improve year after year and has become a leader at only 23! He leaves nothing left on the pitch and looks like he'd lose an extremity before budging an inch for the Red V. Yes Merrin is my new man crush (sorry Nighty) :lol:

giboz71

First Grade

Agreed....think Merrin will have a great year.

But its a reflection of our attacking woes when we have to rely on a bench prop to be our attacking spark.:? :?

tumbidragon

First Grade
Agreed....think Merrin will have a great year.

But its a reflection of our attacking woes when we have to rely on a bench prop to be our attacking spark.:? :?
True mate. But I think Mez has proven to be more than just a bench prop over the past season. Not many players his age can take on the pressure of leading the forward pack after losing Weyman early on.

Last edited:

TheRev

Coach
Regarding Soward:
- At his peak he made regular line breaks, which is how he had the Phil Gould reputation of being the fastest man over 50m.
- In 2012 after being pressured by media/fans etc, he did start "running the ball", but honestly it wasnt working for him.. it was predictable & ineffective.

Why he was so much more effective under Bennett I dont know, was the team more structured? was the team playing better football around him? has he lost speed/skill? Sowards strength is his kicking and he still has that, but he uses to make atleast 1 good break a game, which tbh is the difference between winning and losing the countless close games we find ourselves in.

Elias1983

Coach
The best way to help merrin is to support the bloke when he takes it up, the amount of times he can get his arms free when he has 2-3 blokes hanging off him is incredible.

Beale, Sowie, Rein Morris and co all need to hang around the middle becasue this bloke can offload and put guys through holes.

Cagey Mac

Bench
I think that Gasnier's elusiveness gave Sowie a little more room. The 2010 final against the tiggers was a classic example. Gaz was constantly hammered but Soward had room
When finally Sowie hit him with a flat bullet the game turned

Breathingfire

Juniors
The reason for Soward not being the player he was under Bennett is very complicated as there is more than one reason.

1. Players give blood for Bennett for the simple fact that he demands it. Bennett had won 6 GF's when he arrived, so when he speaks, players listen. They do not want to let this man down. Soward gave Bennett blood.

2. Soward's ego sky rocketed when we won in 2010 to the point where he has become complacent and lazy about his football because he is "Jamie Soward". I will never forget the comment in the sheds after the GF when Soward did a "jimmie" from Seinfeld and spoke of himself in third person. Apparently the fans "love their Sow" :roll: what a knob :lol:

3. Our go-forward was far superior under Bennett because they a) gave him blood (as previously mentioned) and b) we had a better pack of forwards. This go-forward gave Soward the time and space to play his game. Soward made more line breaks because our forwards were dominating and tiring out the opposition. The opposition defensive lines were markedly more stretched during our golden run and Soward reaped the benefits of it. He had plenty more time to place kicks as well, which explains why his once untouchable kicking game is less of an asset today.

Country Dragon

Juniors
The reason for Soward not being the player he was under Bennett is very complicated as there is more than one reason.

1. Players give blood for Bennett for the simple fact that he demands it. Bennett had won 6 GF's when he arrived, so when he speaks, players listen. They do not want to let this man down. Soward gave Bennett blood.

2. Soward's ego sky rocketed when we won in 2010 to the point where he has become complacent and lazy about his football because he is "Jamie Soward". I will never forget the comment in the sheds after the GF when Soward did a "jimmie" from Seinfeld and spoke of himself in third person. Apparently the fans "love their Sow" :roll: what a knob :lol:

3. Our go-forward was far superior under Bennett because they a) gave him blood (as previously mentioned) and b) we had a better pack of forwards. This go-forward gave Soward the time and space to play his game. Soward made more line breaks because our forwards were dominating and tiring out the opposition. The opposition defensive lines were markedly more stretched during our golden run and Soward reaped the benefits of it. He had plenty more time to place kicks as well, which explains why his once untouchable kicking game is less of an asset today.

Good post, I think point three is a very big difference in the two teams!

TheRev

Coach
Good post Breathingfire, and thats what makes this year challenging, our forwards should be able to hold their own, but we need a couple of backs (preferably Soward) to bring their A-Game and jag us a few unexpected points.

Godz Illa

Coach
If point 2 is accurate, how do you explain his form in the first half of 2011? It was brilliant and exceeded his form in the two previous years, earning him - genuinely earning - a NSW rep jersey.

People like to pinpoint one definite factor to explain a drop of form but it's rarely that simple.

giboz71

First Grade
Good post Breathingfire, and thats what makes this year challenging, our forwards should be able to hold their own, but we need a couple of backs (preferably Soward) to bring their A-Game and jag us a few unexpected points.

We have upgraded our forward pack for sure. As much as I loved Deano, he was off the pace last year, the poor bloke was playing on one leg. Scott wasn't much better.

Frizell, Harrison and De Belin is a tough aggressive backrow, add a prop rotation of Weyman, Hunt and Merrin, we actually have one of the better packs in the comp. Hopefully we get solid contributions from Creagh and Prior as well.

The forwards will set the platform. Soward is the key. If he has a big year and creates opportunities for others, we'll be in the 8 for sure. Unfortunately, he's the only one capable of doing this. We will live or die with him this year.

Breathingfire

Juniors
If point 2 is accurate, how do you explain his form in the first half of 2011? It was brilliant and exceeded his form in the two previous years, earning him - genuinely earning - a NSW rep jersey.

People like to pinpoint one definite factor to explain a drop of form but it's rarely that simple.

I pinpointed more than one; three in fact.

As for the form in 2011; the human brain is not robotic with switches. I am not saying when the siren went at fulltime after the 2010 GF that Soward flicked the ego switch and away he went. Over time I feel that he has grown arrogant and therefore lazy and complacent. Its an attitude thing that develops over time. The origin jumper only served to fuel the problem even more.

Latest posts