What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Soward to halfback

I say take a risk and go with Drinkwater.

I see Drinkwater as our Plan B. Soward and Fien is Plan A.
If you're Plan A is Soward/Drinkwater, and you don't rate Fien, then what does that make your Plan B?
Or do you cross your fingers and all other appedages that Drinkwater just works, damn the torpedos, full steam ahead?
Playing Drinkwater first up and failing leaves Price with few other options. He would be telling Fien that he's not rated above a kid that has never played any NRL.

Elias1983

Coach
The last thing we need is for players thinking they have mortgages on positions regardless of how poor their playing. A chop and change here and there will keep them all on there toes. Drinkwater did only have ten or so minutes but don't get confused between enthusiasm and talent, this kid has the talent and strength to make it this year. South's have arguably the biggest forward pack going round and that didn't seem to rattle him at all.

+1.

Elias1983

Coach
I see Drinkwater as our Plan B. Soward and Fien is Plan A.
If you're Plan A is Soward/Drinkwater, and you don't rate Fien, then what does that make your Plan B?
Or do you cross your fingers and all other appedages that Drinkwater just works, damn the torpedos, full steam ahead?
Playing Drinkwater first up and failing leaves Price with few other options. He would be telling Fien that he's not rated above a kid that has never played any NRL.

Fien is 33 and nearing the end of his career, If Price tells him that Drinkwater will get a shot over him then he needs to cop on the chin. Plain and simple, tough decisions need to be made for the future and benefit of the team.

Your plan B can be the young bloke that has been mentioned here a couple of times, His name I think is Shannon Crook. I think he was also invited to a young NSW squad or played in the young NSW squad last year? Get him in the first grade system now and start preparing him from now! Don't wait for the crisis to happen, plan ahead.

Fien is not the answer plain and simple, Drinkwater in the end may not be either, but it's a step in the right direction.

What if Price waits until say round 10, the team is struggling, he introduces Drinkwater and they start to improve? We'll all be asking why he wasn't intriduced earlier.

Don't die wondering I say, Price should know that Doust and the board are not mucking around. They had a real go at bellamy, and if another coach with solid credentials becomes available I'm sure management will be ineterested unless Price changes their mind for them by leading the team to a successfull season.

Last edited:
I understand the hype and anticipation surrounding Drinkwater, as opposed to yesterday's man in Fien. And I want to see him as much as anyone. But the team have been training for 4 months or so with Fien as half - Price has stated this in interviews. And so after 2 "losses" (I use that term very loosely), in trial games, we should throw Drinkwater in for round 1? Why have pre-season at all training then, if it counts for nothing, and the 2 trials are what has already pre-determined our season, as many will have us believe?
Any coach that adopts the don't die wondering approach, doesn't last very long. Price's coaching position is under review as we speak, so he won't be playing all his cards in Round 1, leaving nowhere else to turn.
I doubt Bennett would have been playing Drinkwater in Round 1 either.....

redbreed

Juniors
I understand the hype and anticipation surrounding Drinkwater, as opposed to yesterday's man in Fien. And I want to see him as much as anyone. But the team have been training for 4 months or so with Fien as half - Price has stated this in interviews. And so after 2 "losses" (I use that term very loosely), in trial games, we should throw Drinkwater in for round 1? Why have pre-season at all training then, if it counts for nothing, and the 2 trials are what has already pre-determined our season, as many will have us believe?
Any coach that adopts the don't die wondering approach, doesn't last very long. Price's coaching position is under review as we speak, so he won't be playing all his cards in Round 1, leaving nowhere else to turn.

I personally don't care that we lost both trials, its more the way we played during them. They played like a bunch of strangers out there and in the eighty minutes against south's we only looked descent for about 10. I think a lot of panic from supporters has come from price saying that fien is first choice half before a trial game has commenced, mainly due to his past record of jobs for the boys mentality.

Johnny-b-Goode

Juniors
So has drinkwater been sitting on there on his but.... There is no way price would not have him running as many plays as fien...

I don't buy the plan b or the thing about drinkwater losing confidence if he loses in Melbourne in round 1 ... I just think that he is a better 7 than fien, considering what I have seen, and heard! He is big and strong enough and can handle this.

giboz71

First Grade
As others have said, everything seemed to be in slow motion on Fri night and there was no crispness or fluency whatsoever. Which begs the question, what do these guys work on at training?

And we have no speed whatsoever, scratching my head to work out where our points will come from?

Twenty10

Juniors
So has drinkwater been sitting on there on his but.... There is no way price would not have him running as many plays as fien...

I don't buy the plan b or the thing about drinkwater losing confidence if he loses in Melbourne in round 1 ... I just think that he is a better 7 than fien, considering what I have seen, and heard! He is big and strong enough and can handle this.

I agree with this. But JBG when price can't see this surely you must the agree with the major criticism and negativity surrounding the coach and management.

dragondad

First Grade
The Bulldogs in 2001 were slow and knew it so went out and bought pace. That's now us. Although we tried for Jennings, we failed for whatever reasons. Maybe the Quinlans and Cummins of the world need to be given reasonable opportunities; and chase Josh Morris hard! Doust promised as much not that long ago at a Red V Forum.

Elias1983

Coach

Yeh they have been training with fien as the dominant half but Price has said on more than one occasion that Drinkwater is putting pressure on for a spot, so I think he has at least had a fair amount of training in the off-season in the halfback position and with Soward also.

Trial form means nothing, what bothers me is:

A, anyway you look at it, Fien is not your long-term option. Whether it be because of age/form.

B, It would be the perfect season to blood Drinkwater from the start because no-one is expecting us to do well. So if we do struggle it won't come as much as a surprise therefore not as much scrutiny.

C, Price has this season to save his career, he needs to try a couple of new things.

D, If Soward leaves at years end and Fin retires would you want Drinkwater to have had a season under his belt or still relatively fresh?

For me, it's logic that Drinkwater should be the half from the start. I'd rather go through a bit of pain knowing there is a possible future for our halves rather than relying on yesterday's heroes, no disrespect to Fien. Love him, but he's past it.

bottle

Coach
Yeh they have been training with fien as the dominant half but Price has said on more than one occasion that Drinkwater is putting pressure on for a spot, so I think he has at least had a fair amount of training in the off-season in the halfback position and with Soward also.

Trial form means nothing, what bothers me is:

A, anyway you look at it, Fien is not your long-term option. Whether it be because of age/form.

B, It would be the perfect season to blood Drinkwater from the start because no-one is expecting us to do well. So if we do struggle it won't come as much as a surprise therefore not as much scrutiny.

C, Price has this season to save his career, he needs to try a couple of new things.

D, If Soward leaves at years end and Fin retires would you want Drinkwater to have had a season under his belt or still relatively fresh?

For me, it's logic that Drinkwater should be the half from the start. I'd rather go through a bit of pain knowing there is a possible future for our halves rather than relying on yesterday's heroes, no disrespect to Fien. Love him, but he's past it.

Good post.

Fien played his part for us and I'm thankful to him. I'll always consider every Saint who has contributed to a Premiership a champion. It was a much needed cameo role played in tandem with Priddis who was tiring at the end, but they both contributed and did their job. However time is Fien's enemy now, and his time may well have come if he can't provide something from the start of the season.

If Sowie is going to spend another 6 months doing the catch and pass gig with the occasional kick then we need someone prepared, and able, to take on the line and provide some spark. Or at least have a go at doing so. Not doubting Fien's willingness, that's never been in question. The issue is his age and ability to engage and deceive the opposition defence. I think they well and truly have his measure. Time to blood, for the future at worst, but for now if things go well with Drinwater.

st.phil

Bench
Those who are banging on about soward not running the ball – newsflash – don’t expect a dummy and go from him all season. It has never been in his game – he will run if the opportunity presents itself but will not create that opportunity – it’s simply not his game and never has been. He is an organizer – essentially a halfback playing in a #6 jumper. The idea of Bennett moving him there was to take the pressure off him as a focal point…not to re-create Brad Fittler.

dragon-83

Juniors
I reckon soward should pack his.bags. Get passport and boarding pass and jet off to the u k lol

bottle

Coach
Those who are banging on about soward not running the ball ? newsflash ? don?t expect a dummy and go from him all season. It has never been in his game ? he will run if the opportunity presents itself but will not create that opportunity ? it?s simply not his game and never has been. He is an organizer ? essentially a halfback playing in a #6 jumper. The idea of Bennett moving him there was to take the pressure off him as a focal point?not to re-create Brad Fittler.

Sure, but I think many of were hoping he would develop over time and exhibit a bit more. He hasn't grown his game, it could be argued in fact that he has diminished it.
I'm a fan. In fact I think he's better than he knows. He has all the attributes and at times displays them for the briefest of moments. The team needs more now, and I think he needs more for himself if his career isn't to stagnate.

For whatever reason, he appears to me to lack the confidence in himself that could see him be more than he currently is. If that's not going to happen, then for his sake and ours, he is probably better off going to Union and taking whatever big money is on offer. His skill set is more suited to that game, and of less benefit to us under current circumstances than it was some time ago. It's a shame, because I think he still has, even now, shitloads of unexplored potential.

Hutty1986

Immortal
Those who are banging on about soward not running the ball – newsflash – don’t expect a dummy and go from him all season. It has never been in his game – he will run if the opportunity presents itself but will not create that opportunity – it’s simply not his game and never has been. He is an organizer – essentially a halfback playing in a #6 jumper. The idea of Bennett moving him there was to take the pressure off him as a focal point…not to re-create Brad Fittler.

Saying it's "not his game" is a p*ss-poor excuse. We've put up with the bloke not running the f*cking football for 5 years now, either he performs this season (and that includes actually putting some doubt in the mind of the defence by running a few times a game) or he's gone by year's end.

He's one of my favourite ever Saints but enough is enough.

Good post.

Fien played his part for us and I'm thankful to him. I'll always consider every Saint who has contributed to a Premiership a champion. It was a much needed cameo role played in tandem with Priddis who was tiring at the end, but they both contributed and did their job. However time is Fien's enemy now, and his time may well have come if he can't provide something from the start of the season.

If Sowie is going to spend another 6 months doing the catch and pass gig with the occasional kick then we need someone prepared, and able, to take on the line and provide some spark. Or at least have a go at doing so. Not doubting Fien's willingness, that's never been in question. The issue is his age and ability to engage and deceive the opposition defence. I think they well and truly have his measure. Time to blood, for the future at worst, but for now if things go well with Drinwater.

We're all on the same page here, but the discussion began as when to do this, not if we should.

Surely Fien will start at half in Round 1. And if he doesn't then that's a full pre-season wasted.

What happens after that is all speculation. It will depend on performances, form, and results.

TheRev

First Grade
There is no easy way in for Drinkwater, especially in a struggling club, but if hes going to struggle this is good a year as any, along with Cummins/Kyle if hes fit, and we might just have some young players ready for 1st grade in 2014.

Note: Drinkwater might not even be the talent we are after, but that's in his hands, you can look at the management of Kyle Stanley last year for a lesson in how to get it completely & utterly wrong.

Latest posts