What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spagnolo Back On the board?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Are things really that bad Casper?

I care about the club too and I'm at least as smart as you are. I can't see a problem with Spagnolo on the board, and if he doesn't do a good job (meaning the CEO and he coach he has signed don't do a good job) then he will be turfed next election.

But he brought these key employees to the club. Is it right that somebody else gets the glory when we start performing on the field?

strider

Post Whore
Wow this has really blown up on here. Everyone needs to relax.

We all get to vote in 18 months. Interested to see which major sponsor Roy has go to the club and if Sharp and his mates would block the new sponsor out of dislike for Roy.

Now that would look petty.

I really do hope everyone can can work together on the board. Was hoping Roy and his mates would just drop off the FC board to make the transition easier for new board but they managed to obviously find a loophole created by no other than Fitzgerald. I find this so hilarious that This has backfired on Fitzy how embarrassing for him!!!!

I'm over the petty wars.

yeah but what's the point of voting in 18 months if there are just silly loopholes that mean the votes don't count for much? .... and i don't think they are blocking a new sponsor, rumour is the sponsor wont come due to the new board (probably just more f'ed up games)

but it IS pretty funny that Fitzy f**ked himself/friends over with his stupid shit :lol:

but in the end I agree with what has been said above - Spags is just painting himself in Fitzy's likeness - a self absorbed, power hungry manipulator

off field infighting brings this club down - looks like nothing is gonna change

Ratchy

Juniors
We all get to vote in 18 months. Interested to see which major sponsor Roy has go to the club and if Sharp and his mates would block the new sponsor out of dislike for Roy.

I heard Sharp on the radio sunday say Pirtek were still an option to sponsor the club and that he would open negotiations with them. I had a mate who is a Titans fan so has no real interest in Parra ask me what was Ken Edwards employed to do. Add that to the quotes he made about other areas of the footy club I haven't been impressed so far.

emjaycee

Coach
I heard Sharp on the radio sunday say Pirtek were still an option to sponsor the club and that he would open negotiations with them. I had a mate who is a Titans fan so has no real interest in Parra ask me what was Ken Edwards employed to do. Add that to the quotes he made about other areas of the footy club I haven't been impressed so far.

I think the Pirtek option might be for a reduced amount i.e $1,000,000 whereas the previous board has been attempting to get $1.5m.
Spagnolo mentioned last night that Edwards has been meeting with potential sponsors and had a meeting with one prior to the agm. He said to exepct the new board to announce a new sponsor in June.

I must say if the bunnies can get Packer to cough up $1m a year for jeraey aponsorship i wont be happy if rhe new board settle for a sponsorship with Pirtek of only a $1m for naming rights

Etu Uaisele

Juniors
I think the Pirtek option might be for a reduced amount i.e $1,000,000 whereas the previous board has been attempting to get $1.5m.
Spagnolo mentioned last night that Edwards has been meeting with potential sponsors and had a meeting with one prior to the agm. He said to exepct the new board to announce a new sponsor in June.

I must say if the bunnies can get Packer to cough up $1m a year for jeraey aponsorship i wont be happy if rhe new board settle for a sponsorship with Pirtek of only a $1m for naming rights

What's a mil to Packer , he more than likely owed it to Rusty from their last weekend away .

Maroubra Eel

Coach
The old board weren't going to do much with sponsorship so anything the new guys can do will be an improvement. Afterall our club has been run into the ground and wouldn't be too attractive to potential sponsors right now.

Hang on...

If Sassen drops out and Spags comes in, that replaces one 3P with another, right?

How does this change the LC from 5-2 to 4-3?

oldmancraigy

Coach
Hang on...

If Sassen drops out and Spags comes in, that replaces one 3P with another, right?

How does this change the LC from 5-2 to 4-3?

I was so lost reading that part of the article as well.

But I think Sassen is dropping off the PDRLC board (which is not the PLC board).

Sassen was elected to the PLC board, so he retains his seat there. But he is no longer a "PDRLC board member sitting on the PLC board" - the PLC board is required to have 3 PDRLC members (is this becoming clearer now!?!)

So there was an emergency election to nominate the third member of the PDRLC board to sit on the PLC board (since it was no longer Sassen). And Spags won that vote.

Now who lost their PLC seat is unclear to me? I'd assume it was whichever of the 5 non PDRLC board members had least votes, leaving the top 4 elected to sit next to the 3 PDRLC blokes.

Clear as mud now?

oldmancraigy

Coach

Screw Packer. Manly have been getting $1m per year for ages with their sponsor. We ALWAYS out rate them on TV, and have more national TV games, thus our sponsor dollar ought to be higher (on field performances are only relevant in this discussion if it means a higher TV draw)

born an eel

Bench
I was so lost reading that part of the article as well.

But I think Sassen is dropping off the PDRLC board (which is not the PLC board).

Sassen was elected to the PLC board, so he retains his seat there. But he is no longer a "PDRLC board member sitting on the PLC board" - the PLC board is required to have 3 PDRLC members (is this becoming clearer now!?!)

So there was an emergency election to nominate the third member of the PDRLC board to sit on the PLC board (since it was no longer Sassen). And Spags won that vote.

Now who lost their PLC seat is unclear to me? I'd assume it was whichever of the 5 non PDRLC board members had least votes, leaving the top 4 elected to sit next to the 3 PDRLC blokes.

Clear as mud now?
but if the new board hadn't been installed yet (or had the meeting already announced them in before Sasson dogged it) they would have to follow the election process. My understanding was that it then followed the voting order to find the next candidate who meet the criteria not by in house voting.

Gronk

Staff member
Name another NRL club who constantly has these problems.

FMD we are so dysfunctional it's beyond embarrassing. There is only one reason why a major sponsor would want nothing to do with us and it's not because Fat Tony or Ned Flanders is in charge.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
As above.

We look like a massive bunch of f**kchops. Other clubs' fans and administrators must be laughing their rings off.

Tony Bongo

Bench
but if the new board hadn't been installed yet (or had the meeting already announced them in before Sasson dogged it) they would have to follow the election process. My understanding was that it then followed the voting order to find the next candidate who meet the criteria not by in house voting.

There isn't anyone else who meets the criteria though so it went to a vote.

born an eel

Bench
Name another NRL club who constantly has these problems.

FMD we are so dysfunctional it's beyond embarrassing. There is only one reason why a major sponsor would want nothing to do with us and it's not because Fat Tony or Ned Flanders is in charge.
I can think of another situation, hypothetically, if the sponsor was promised some sort of kickback but was no longer guaranteed it because of structural changes.

Didn't melbourne use this to pay players with a marquee company paying players but the club paying excess to "hire" the companies services each home game. The money from the club being filtered to the players.

Etu Uaisele

Juniors
I can think of another situation, hypothetically, if the sponsor was promised some sort of kickback but was no longer guaranteed it because of structural changes.

Didn't melbourne use this to pay players with a marquee company paying players but the club paying excess to "hire" the companies services each home game. The money from the club being filtered to the players.

Ill take a punt and say that the sponsor is some way affiliated to the person doing the deal . They've managed to supply the catering , carpet , meat trays why wouldn't they supply the sponsorship ?

Muttman

Juniors
Adrian Proscenko has as much credibility speaking about Parra Board matters as Ray Hadley does. Ray is Fitzy's mate, Proscenko and Massoud are Roy's mates.
Fair play to Roy. He exploited a loophole fair and square. Sure the gracious thing to do may have been to accept his 10th place in the voting and bow to the will of the members but he doesn't have to.
Still it's a 4/3 Board split. I'm not sure Roy will enjoy his new found status of non-chairman and a minority position at Board meetings though. It will be a big change for him.
Can this new Board function properly? Well I think that is honestly up to Spagnolo, Sassen and Grothe. If they fall in behind Steve Sharp and are productive, supportive and genuinely bring their experience to the table this could work well. However if we get constant leaks and more fictitious stories by Proscenko and Massoud then it will be a disaster.
I'd personally like to see an end of the political party style elections. I believe that like many other clubs and public companies, candidates should have to nominate as individuals and the club to tightly control all communication to the members. This way the 7 individuals voted by the members will always go through. No political party BS.

Latest posts