What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speeding question

ozbash

Referee
santa was sposed to bring me one but the old bastard must of forgotten...

radar detectors are legal here and would save you a bit of money if you spent a lot of time driving..
i thought of getting one but just taking the hoof off the gas pedal worked out cheaper, and safer too i guess.

ozbash

Referee
yes to both gunna but not reccomended. those blue tooth gizmo's are handy though. lets you concentrate on your driving.

[furrycat]

Coach
gunnamatta bay said:
Anyone got one of those satellite navigation things? They have warnings for red light cameras. Makes you wonder why they are not banned too.

Why? There are clear signs saying "RED LIGHT CAMERA AHEAD" and "SPEED CAMERA AHEAD"

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Fast Eddie said:
I have used one of those radar detectors...handy.
So you you use it as method to break road laws?

Serious question: Why invest in a device just to try and go beyond a safe speed?

furrycat said:
Why? There are clear signs saying "RED LIGHT CAMERA AHEAD" and "SPEED CAMERA AHEAD"
Not always but its a moot point.

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:
So you you use it as method to break road laws?

Serious question: Why invest in a device just to try and go beyond a safe speed?

Not always but its a moot point.

In NSW its against regulations to have stationery speed cameras and red light cameras without adequate warning signs

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Well I can't say I see the signs all the time in near NSW.

Perhaps I just don't see them because I'm too busy driving. lol

Silly regulation.

They should use whatever methods they can to catch the speeding bastards - often and frequently.

[furrycat]

Coach
Willow said:
Well I can't say I see the signs all the time in near NSW.

Perhaps I just don't see them because I'm too busy driving. lol

Silly regulation.

They should use whatever methods they can to catch the speeding bastards - often and frequently.

Can't say I disagree- it tells people where they can get caught (ie when to slow down) before they just speed up again.

Why had a radar detector? I'd rather save the money by driving at a normal speed :lol: How is a radar detector going to save you if you lose control at speed?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
[furrycat] said:
How is a radar detector going to save you if you lose control at speed?
Yep. Madness.

More dings, higher insurance premiums, higher petrol costs, more wear and tear on the car.... but hey, you can dodge a speeding fine! Yee Haa!!

ozbash

Referee
Anyone got one of those satellite navigation things? They have warnings for red light cameras. Makes you wonder why they are not banned too.

most speed cameras here are pretty mobile, either in vans or they shift the static ones around to keep you on yr toes.

i dont agree with speed cameras, they are nothing but revenue collections.
you drive past a camera at 120, you dont slow down after the flash, waste of time..

i,d rather see the copper standing there with his radar gun and spike strip.......

[furrycat]

Coach
ozbash said:

most speed cameras here are pretty mobile, either in vans or they shift the static ones around to keep you on yr toes.

i dont agree with speed cameras, they are nothing but revenue collections.
you drive past a camera at 120, you dont slow down after the flash, waste of time..

i,d rather see the copper standing there with his radar gun and spike strip.......

Yes but they dont have the resources to have police there 24/7.
You may not slow down straight away, but if you get a nice $500 fine you may reconsider next time.

ozbash

Referee
[furrycat] said:
Yes but they dont have the resources to have police there 24/7.
You may not slow down straight away, but if you get a nice $500 fine you may reconsider next time.

and thats my bitch with the speed camera system, furry. there may not be a next time.
the cameras do nothing to stop speeding motorists , they deter and when you know you're past one, its foot to the floor again.

_Johnsy

Referee
I have heard, cannot confirm, in QLD that stationary cameras are set at approx 8 km/h up to 80 km/h zones, 11-12 in 100km/h zones. Generally when those mongrels are using hand held ones they will start pulling you over above 11-12'ish.

rabbs

Juniors
I got done coming home from the bikes at Phillip Island last year doing 103 in a 100 zone,is that revenue raising.

_Johnsy

Referee
rabbs said:
I got done coming home from the bikes at Phillip Island last year doing 103 in a 100 zone,is that revenue raising.

technically it's speeding, the vic traffic branch coppers are known to be nazi asswipes. There was a stories doing the rounds a couple of years ago that people were getting done 2-3km/h over the limit. A government initiative, not the police.

sportive cupid

Referee
blain said:
i've been told that they let you overtake going 110 (limit 100). on the roads where i am, you cant stay under 120 most of the time when passing. i have past cops at 112, it just depends what they have their limits on their guns set.
You are probably both right ,The road rules are different in NZ from Australia.

lockyno1

Post Whore
There is no defense for speeding, however sometimes it is necessary to speed. However that is the risk you personally take. My theory is that if you don't speed, there is less stress on you as a driver as you are not worrying about cops, cameras, etc. If there is no need to speed, I don't do it. However if I am running late for something I do speed, and that is where I take a risk.

[furrycat]

Coach
lockyno1 said:
There is no defense for speeding, however sometimes it is necessary to speed. However that is the risk you personally take. My theory is that if you don't speed, there is less stress on you as a driver as you are not worrying about cops, cameras, etc. If there is no need to speed, I don't do it. However if I am running late for something I do speed, and that is where I take a risk.

Never seen so much contradiction in one post in all my life! :?

Latest posts