What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Speeding question

Serc said:
My housemate brought a brand spanking new Forester a few months back, and he wondered why everyone was passing him on the roads all the time (he is NOT a slow driver). After a week of this, he switched his GPS to the mode where it shows him his speed and found out that his speedo is around 9% out...

So now he does 125km/h on his speedo to keep up with the traffic on the M1 (ie: the big 4 lane freeway from Bris to the Gold Coast). What a joke. What gets me is that the cops can book you for 3% or 4% over the limit or whatever it is, but vehicles sold in Australia can have their speedos with up to 10% error!!!

Subaru refused to correct his speedo when asked - saying thats just how it is and is within the 10% rule. My housemate does a LOT of kms in his car and this one will have a good 300,000km put on it by the time he sells it in 3-5 years time...because of the faulty (yes i call it faulty) speedo it will have an 'extra' 30,000km on it.

I know which car I'd choose if I couldn't split them aside from one with 280,000 and 310,000km on it...

Has he got different profile or rims on his car?

That affects speed on the taco.

[furrycat]

Coach
macavity said:
would be shaky, but they would have to establish that they didnt willfully speed and that their car was not outside ADR standards - in other words, that true speed was higher than displayed speed.

would cost thousands to run the case with no guarantee of success - but technically possible.

the major problem is that most manufacturers set true speed 2-5kmh below displayed speed.

dont mind me, traffic law (and drug law) are my 2 big bugbears.

How would this affect it though? You don't need to prove intention to charge someone with a speeding offence.

Dave Q

Coach
macavity said:
would be shaky, but they would have to establish that they didnt willfully speed and that their car was not outside ADR standards - in other words, that true speed was higher than displayed speed.

would cost thousands to run the case with no guarantee of success - but technically possible.

the major problem is that most manufacturers set true speed 2-5kmh below displayed speed.

dont mind me, traffic law (and drug law) are my 2 big bugbears.

You forgot the old alibi defence.

Just make sure they were alive.

I thought that not intending to speed is no defence in its own right. It might be a point in mitigation.

I was visiting court once. This is what I observed:

Heres some cross examination:

Q :And tell me officer, for how long did you see the driver?
A: At least for 10 seconds
Q:And what speed did you say you were going?
A: About 110kph-the speed limit
Q And how fast did you say the defendant was going?
A: About 110kph
Q So my figures might be wrong offier, but does this means you saw the driver from .... distance away?
A:??
Q: Answer the question.

Q: I put it to you that you could not have seen a driver from that distance officer.

The magistrate believed the copper.

Serc said:
So now he does 125km/h on his speedo to keep up with the traffic on the M1

110km/h plus 10% = 121km/h

Serc said:
My housemate does a LOT of kms in his car and this one will have a good 300,000km put on it by the time he sells it in 3-5 years time...because of the faulty (yes i call it faulty) speedo it will have an 'extra' 30,000km on it.

I'm no automotive engineer so I don't know whether or not a speedo error of 10% translates to an odometer error rate of 10%.

What I am able to do is read the regulations. In reference to odometers it requires that they:

18.5.2.2.2. indicate the actual distance travelled by the vehicle to an accuracy of ± 4 percent

http://www.comlaw.gov.au/ComLaw/Legislation/LegislativeInstrumentCompilation1.nsf/0/F3E9920BE1FC56A5CA257257001E1849/$file/ADR1800comp1FINALFRLI.pdf

innsaneink

Referee
Serc said:
My housemate brought a brand spanking new Forester a few months back, and he wondered why everyone was passing him on the roads all the time (he is NOT a slow driver). After a week of this, he switched his GPS to the mode where it shows him his speed and found out that his speedo is around 9% out...

So now he does 125km/h on his speedo to keep up with the traffic on the M1 (ie: the big 4 lane freeway from Bris to the Gold Coast). What a joke. What gets me is that the cops can book you for 3% or 4% over the limit or whatever it is, but vehicles sold in Australia can have their speedos with up to 10% error!!!

Subaru refused to correct his speedo when asked - saying thats just how it is and is within the 10% rule. My housemate does a LOT of kms in his car and this one will have a good 300,000km put on it by the time he sells it in 3-5 years time...because of the faulty (yes i call it faulty) speedo it will have an 'extra' 30,000km on it.

I know which car I'd choose if I couldn't split them aside from one with 280,000 and 310,000km on it...

So the odometer is out as well?

blain

Juniors
i've been told that they let you overtake going 110 (limit 100). on the roads where i am, you cant stay under 120 most of the time when passing. i have past cops at 112, it just depends what they have their limits on their guns set.

[furrycat]

Coach
blain said:
i've been told that they let you overtake going 110 (limit 100). on the roads where i am, you cant stay under 120 most of the time when passing. i have past cops at 112, it just depends what they have their limits on their guns set.

Sorry mate... what you hear is really just hearsay.

Wouldn't take that risk...

Raider_69

Post Whore
Ive been lead to believe there is a 10% discount up to 9kms in place to cater for the speed camera and odometer calibration, pressumable if you're over by more then 10% chances are you're odometer is saying as much and so will the radar gun

that said ive had mates pinged for under that, so i dunno, i think the reasonable coppers will allow you the 10%, anyone wanting to be a merkin, will pinch you for 2 or more km's over

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Raider_69 said:
Ive been lead to believe there is a 10% discount up to 9kms

Its 'led' to believe.

And you use such advice at your own risk.

Its not a big deal to simply travel below the speed limit. I've done both and found that I arrive at my destination at around the same time.

[furrycat]

Coach
Indeed.

Take the risk and get pinged, the advice from your mates won't be helpful. Especially this weekend during double demerits.

blain

Juniors
i've passed cops going 12 over the speed limit. i think it depends on the cop and how he's feeling.

heres a tip, follow a fast car if you want to. they get pulled up and not you!

Willow

Assistant Moderator
blain said:
i've passed cops going 12 over the speed limit. i think it depends on the cop and how he's feeling.
You were lucky.

blain said:
heres a tip, follow a fast car if you want to. they get pulled up and not you!
That's not a tip - its just dumb driving. I get the impression that you think breaking the speed limit is the same as cheating in a computer game.

roopy

Referee
Bloody girlfriend in queensland and bloody speed cameras on the pacific highway mean i am now on probation for 12 months.
I've had five fines in 30 years of driving - but three of them were in the one trip in my new car to queensland (my new little sedan is a lot more nippy than my old ute apparently).
Anyway - i now fly up for any visits - but driving around the Gold Coast in a rental car is a hazard as well - bloody cops everywhere and i can't even get a parking fine.

gunnamatta bay

Referee
ozbash said:
are radar detectors legal in aussie ?

http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/downloads/p13.pdf

225 Using radar detectors and similar devices
(1) A person must not drive a vehicle if the vehicle has in or on it a
device for preventing the effective use of a speed measuring
device, or a device for detecting the use of a speed measuring
device, unless the person is exempt from this rule under
another law of this jurisdiction.
Offence provision.
Note Drive includes be in control of — see the definition in the dictionary.
(2) Subrule (1) applies whether or not the device is operating or in
working order.
Note Under the law of this jurisdiction, radar detectors and similar devices
may be subject to confiscation

gunnamatta bay

Referee
Anyone got one of those satellite navigation things? They have warnings for red light cameras. Makes you wonder why they are not banned too.