What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spike TV ratings for the NRL

Unfortunately as a Victorian I can tell you that senario sounds nice but is unrealistic. It is like an aussie watching american football then canadian. If not DIRECTLY and SPECIFICALLY informed they are different. You will notice some key differences but assume it is the same game with different style or emphasis.

Victorians still look at both games in passing and hardly see the differences,

Thats because most born & bred Victorians have the IQ of a house plant.

nomarg

Aside from the ridiculous concept that Union won't benefit from this (which is ok and inevitable) Lets put together a simple marketing exercise.

Two products

One called - Pepsi Cola
2nd Called - Coca Cola

Pepsi Cola starts to advertise and allows itself to commonly be called 'Cola' (which straight up gives profile to its competitor) People enjoying what they see on ads go looking for Cola in their local shop only to find the competitor (it is the bigger of the two and more wide spread). The competitor is not as good but better than what they are used it. In actual fact they enjoy 'Cola'

Pepsi Cola as a brand benefits little from such exposure.

Despite what some people think Rugby League is no more a sub entity of 'Rugby' (such as 7s, despite the name) then Ice Hockey is a sub entity of Field Hockey. If it were such then we better submit to the IRB.

We should heavily market the NRL brand in the us- or whatever the new name will be- if we go with one.....

bobmar28

Bench
We can only distinguish ourselves if people know what we are being distictive against - and the only people who know about rugby union are the ones who've played it. Should people ever see both codes on TV they'll see the difference, and they'll choose what they prefer, ie the Spike rugby is so much better than that Super 14 rugby or whatever. Atm rugby league's there only choice.

It might become known as Australian rugby.

adamkungl

Immortal
Maybe at the start of the broadcast they should just put a message

THIS IS NOT RUGBY UNION.
RUGBY LEAGUE AND RUGBY UNION ARE DIFFERENT GAMES.

Goddo

Bench
It might become known as Australian rugby.

Changes made to the game here over the past 100 years mean it effectively is Australian Rugby...
6 Tackle Rule
Defence back 10m
Zero Tackle
4 Point Tries, 2 Point Goals
Limited Interchange

its more Australian than gaylick mexican ball is.

adamkungl

Immortal
Changes made to the game here over the past 100 years mean it effectively is Australian Rugby...
6 Tackle Rule
Defence back 10m
Zero Tackle
4 Point Tries, 2 Point Goals
Limited Interchange

its more Australian than gaylick mexican ball is.

The English would be real happy about this name change ;-)

babyg

Juniors
As some others have said, this cold just a prelude to the development of the AMNRL and the marketing focus will really be on the term NRL rather than rugby. I hope so anyway.

joshreading

Staff member
As some others have said, this cold just a prelude to the development of the AMNRL and the marketing focus will really be on the term NRL rather than rugby. I hope so anyway.

I agree, such might be a really good initiative - in Australia American Football is regularly called NFL when referring just the game in general. The sams is the case with Aussie Rules which northern states refer to as AFL.

Calling the Sport in general NRL football might help

joshreading

Staff member
It might be enticing to Spike itself (if they were happy to fund a pro comp etc for a significant period) to call it ''Spike Football'' - "Rugby on Roids - Football on Speed" - ;)

The game itself would have to be independant of them but it would come across as very american then. The amazing thing is that Rugby League is even being shown on common cable in the USA. The potential is huge and that is why such an opportunity must be embraced.

Kiki

First Grade
Jacksonville would of benefited largely from Rusty and the boys visit over there.

I've heard positive things though from some people in the US I recommended watch the finals.

yeh that helped but that was all organised by Spinner (the owner and one of our besties), he is AMAZING. i am constantly so impressed at all the work he does. they have so many sponsors and are the only team that actually pays for the players to fly around and put them up properly and what not. its an awesome little community he's built.

Sleep

Juniors
Why Jacksonville though? I wouldn't of thought it'd have a huge market. The Jaguars don't have a huge following compared to other cities. I would of thought it'd make more sense to hit a bigger market if you follow me.

Mr. Fahrenheit

Referee
Spinner Howland has been posting on LU for a few years now, its been amazing to watch the Axemen, and RL in the east of the US go from strength to strength in recent times. What's needed is more support from the RLIF (which needs more support from Aus/NZ/GB) to capitalise on the structures put in place by the likes of Spinner.

Kiki

First Grade
Spinner Howland has been posting on LU for a few years now, its been amazing to watch the Axemen, and RL in the east of the US go from strength to strength in recent times. What's needed is more support from the RLIF (which needs more support from Aus/NZ/GB) to capitalise on the structures put in place by the likes of Spinner.

SPINNER IS SO AWESOME! hes one of our dear dear friends. we stayed with his girlfriend when we were just in Jax, they are amazing people. everyone involved in the Axemen are so lovable.

Kiki

First Grade
Why Jacksonville though? I wouldn't of thought it'd have a huge market. The Jaguars don't have a huge following compared to other cities. I would of thought it'd make more sense to hit a bigger market if you follow me.

because thats where he lives.

and union is pretty big in Florida with all the colleges playing each other in a comp. alot of the Axemen play UNF rugby as well.