What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spoon race - 2019

Wooden spooners 2019

• Total voters

Diesel

Referee
Titans F/A is cooked. Even if they snag a couple of wins it’s hard to see another club winning it

Mikehnz

Juniors
Three teams in contention with six rounds to go

Titans - 10 pts (-135)
Bulldogs - 12 pts (-184)
Dragons - 14 pts (-104)

Bulldogs were my clear tip before the season started to win the spoon and tbh they've done well to nab 5 wins this year. In the run home they face a couple of teams outside the top eight - both they've beaten this year (Cowboys and Tigers). For and against is a huge problem

The Dragons boast the worst coach in the comp and could very conceivably fall off a cliff and lose every game once they are ruled out of mathematical finals contention.

Titans have been awful and their run home includes the Roosters and Storm, but they also play the Dragons twice. Big chance to leapfrog there, with a potential spoon-deciding match between them in round 25?

Oh how this turned around quickly this weekend. Dogs win by 8, Titans lose by 52 & the Tits now have an 11 point worse differential than the dogs.. what a swing.

This Year?

Immortal
We are going to give the Tits a run next week. It's going to be epic in a Jerry Springer kinda way.

Reflector

Juniors
The Titans right now are in a worse position than the Knights were in 2016. Newcastle were a rabble on-field who managed just one win all season, but support remained healthy and if anybody suggested that the Knights should be axed or Newcastle not have an NRL presence, they'd have rocks in their head.

The Titans have the feel of an organisation on its' last legs. It's not just their on-field results, but the lack of support and the GC itself. It's not some wicked coincidence that no sports team has ever lasted on the GC. In the Titans' early days they looked like a professional organisation with the right setup and a team worthy of finals football. But (like AFL ever being more than a trendy niche sport in NSW and Qld) it looks like a team lasting on the GC is something that'll never happen, no matter how much some people wish it could and no matter how much money we throw at it.

grouch

First Grade
The Titans right now are in a worse position than the Knights were in 2016. Newcastle were a rabble on-field who managed just one win all season, but support remained healthy and if anybody suggested that the Knights should be axed or Newcastle not have an NRL presence, they'd have rocks in their head.

The Titans have the feel of an organisation on its' last legs. It's not just their on-field results, but the lack of support and the GC itself. It's not some wicked coincidence that no sports team has ever lasted on the GC. In the Titans' early days they looked like a professional organisation with the right setup and a team worthy of finals football. But (like AFL ever being more than a trendy niche sport in NSW and Qld) it looks like a team lasting on the GC is something that'll never happen, no matter how much some people wish it could and no matter how much money we throw at it.
A lot of "feel" here and not much data.

You're crazy to think of dumping a team from the 4th largest city on the east coast (the rugby league coast), and the 6th largest city in Australia.

Its a rugby league town with a strong base, and historic roots via the Burleigh Bears and Tweed Heads Seagulls going back to 1934 and 1909 respectively.

Support wise, despite a poor couple of seasons their average crowd is just about on par with some so-called big clubs:

Titans 2018-19: 12,807 & 11699
Bulldogs 2018-19: 14,182 & 13,488
Dragons 2018-19: 16,606* & 10,333 *includes Anzac Day
Sharks: 13,201 & 11,426
Eagles: 11,232 & 14,217

They've had a dud couple of seasons but they're here to stay and so they should be.

Reflector

Juniors
A lot of "feel" here and not much data.

You're crazy to think of dumping a team from the 4th largest city on the east coast (the rugby league coast), and the 6th largest city in Australia.

Its a rugby league town with a strong base, and historic roots via the Burleigh Bears and Tweed Heads Seagulls going back to 1934 and 1909 respectively.

Support wise, despite a poor couple of seasons their average crowd is just about on par with some so-called big clubs:

Titans 2018-19: 12,807 & 11699
Bulldogs 2018-19: 14,182 & 13,488
Dragons 2018-19: 16,606* & 10,333 *includes Anzac Day
Sharks: 13,201 & 11,426
Eagles: 11,232 & 14,217

They've had a dud couple of seasons but they're here to stay and so they should be.

The population argument came up as a big plus for GC back in 2005. But it's one thing to just look at the population from a surface level and another thing to actually look at the demographics of that population: how many of the 500k people on the GC have a true born and bred connection to the area? A large portion of people who live there- even those who are interested in league- are expats with solid alliances to the Broncos/ Cowboys if they're Qlders otherwise established Sydney clubs. Sure the Bears and Seagulls are successful Qld Cup teams, but having successful teams like that doesn't equate to being a successful NRL side. Those teams don't require the money or the support to operate like the Titans do.

With those crowd comparisons, both the Bulldogs and Dragons are traditional clubs with big supporter bases spread all over NSW and Qld and (to a lesser extent) the rest of the country. Cronulla have had the most successful decade in their history and the land development has them financially set-up for the longterm. Manly are one of the most successful teams of the last 50 years, but even they've had tough times off-field over the past decade or so.

The Titans don't have the history, the on-field success, the local support, the widespread support or the commercial strength to be accurately compared with those other teams you mentioned.

Rhino_NQ

Immortal
The population argument came up as a big plus for GC back in 2005. But it's one thing to just look at the population from a surface level and another thing to actually look at the demographics of that population: how many of the 500k people on the GC have a true born and bred connection to the area? A large portion of people who live there- even those who are interested in league- are expats with solid alliances to the Broncos/ Cowboys if they're Qlders otherwise established Sydney clubs. Sure the Bears and Seagulls are successful Qld Cup teams, but having successful teams like that doesn't equate to being a successful NRL side. Those teams don't require the money or the support to operate like the Titans do.

With those crowd comparisons, both the Bulldogs and Dragons are traditional clubs with big supporter bases spread all over NSW and Qld and (to a lesser extent) the rest of the country. Cronulla have had the most successful decade in their history and the land development has them financially set-up for the longterm. Manly are one of the most successful teams of the last 50 years, but even they've had tough times off-field over the past decade or so.

The Titans don't have the history, the on-field success, the local support, the widespread support or the commercial strength to be accurately compared with those other teams you mentioned.
I brought this up many a moon ago after the first few seasons they existed. In the office I was working in on the gold coast as an undergraduate there was 45 staff and only 1 actually from the gold coast. Similar stats would be common across the entire city. Hard to tap into

grouch

First Grade
The population argument came up as a big plus for GC back in 2005. But it's one thing to just look at the population from a surface level and another thing to actually look at the demographics of that population: how many of the 500k people on the GC have a true born and bred connection to the area? A large portion of people who live there- even those who are interested in league- are expats with solid alliances to the Broncos/ Cowboys if they're Qlders otherwise established Sydney clubs.
So what? They're still getting similar crowd averages to Sydney clubs despite shitty seasons. Many of those expat people will have kids, presumably? Expansion is about long-term vision. If you're not looking that far down the road then why expand at all?

Again, so what. Those clubs have the benefit of several generations worth of head-start - but they're still getting about the same attendance. In the short term the Titans are doing well then.

Foresight is rare in the NRL, and the only example we've seen here in 2 decades people want to roll back? It's almost Rothfieldian in it's reactionary short-sightedness

Dogs Of War

Coach
I brought this up many a moon ago after the first few seasons they existed. In the office I was working in on the gold coast as an undergraduate there was 45 staff and only 1 actually from the gold coast. Similar stats would be common across the entire city. Hard to tap into

But a lot of the kids go for the Titans. That's where they will get there supporters from. The next generation of fans. But they need a few seasons of really being competitive so all the kids want to love that team.

carcharias

Immortal
I know two people who live there and now both go for the Titans.
Both Dragons originally.
One even works for the Titans

Dogs Of War

Coach
I know two people who live there and now both go for the Titans.
Both Dragons originally.
One even works for the Titans

And not to sound like a Bandwagon fan. Cause I was a member of the Titans for a couple of years when I first moved up here.

If they ever got there shit together. I would probably abandon the Bulldogs cause it's nice to be able to go to games and support a team. At the moment when I go it's cause it's a good matchup or the Bulldogs are playing them.

And there is no way on this earth I am ever supporting the Broncos.

carcharias

Immortal
And not to sound like a Bandwagon fan. Cause I was a member of the Titans for a couple of years when I first moved up here.

If they ever got there shit together. I would probably abandon the Bulldogs cause it's nice to be able to go to games and support a team. At the moment when I go it's cause it's a good matchup or the Bulldogs are playing them.

And there is no way on this earth I am ever supporting the Broncos.

I think it is a local team thing too.

muzby

Village Idiot
Staff member
I’m hoping we see another 2002 or 2010 scenario and one of the top flying teams gets done for salary cap cheating & loses all their points..