What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SpoonWatch 2023

Draginzaaar

Bench
So is this how Vlandys thought fans wanted to see games played? The difference between the top and bottom teams is now showing badly. Is this the future of NRL from now on? .Who would want to support a team that was getting flogged this badly,yet on thursday night we came very close too. Surely something needs to be done now to even the comp up, yet Penrith are on top and hardly buy anyone. We have almost as big a junior base as them yet were coming almost last.Somehow the system isnt working. But the game has now changed and floggings are occuring, And once they start, teams just seem to give up and the game becomes a disaster. I still think back to our last 7 minutes against Souths where we almost lost too. Either way the NRL suddenly looked very ugly after this weekend, and im not sure anyone is going to be happy about it. Us and 2 other clubs that got flogged are now battling for the spoon, and if something isnt done, a whole lot of supporters may not be back nest year. I just hope it isnt us
So Newcastle is a top side?

Draginzaaar

Bench
I'm sure the ridiculous restart rule is contributing to this. Saints lead 12-10 and then give away a couple of penalties and restarts. After that they were gassed from all the defensive work they were putting in and eventually cracked in a big way.
Half the time you can't tell what the restart was for. In fact, about 75 percent of tackles/play-the-balls appear restart-worthy to me.
It's a dumb rule, like the 20-40 rule that punishes a team for a good defensive set cos the weak attacking side was lucky enough to get a good kick away.
And if I see another Rah-rah style short goal-line drop out I am going to be physically sick.
So don't give them away. The other team didn't, so why do we? I'll tell you why. Fitness. They are so unfit it's a joke. They are gassed after 10 minutes.

Draginzaaar

Bench
You’re absolutely correct. I havent met anyone yet who likes the rules like this except for TV stations who can run an ad every time a try is scored. No- one likes it yet we’re getting no say. Trouble is all their income is from TV so they dont care about us supporters. However TV games look awful when theres no-one there so they better be careful
You know there were sellouts at Brookie and in Auckland, where it pissed down the whole day?

dannyt

Coach
I'm sure the ridiculous restart rule is contributing to this. Saints lead 12-10 and then give away a couple of penalties and restarts. After that they were gassed from all the defensive work they were putting in and eventually cracked in a big way.
Half the time you can't tell what the restart was for. In fact, about 75 percent of tackles/play-the-balls appear restart-worthy to me.
It's a dumb rule, like the 20-40 rule that punishes a team for a good defensive set cos the weak attacking side was lucky enough to get a good kick away.
And if I see another Rah-rah style short goal-line drop out I am going to be physically sick.
I couldn't agree more regarding the restarts. You often think why was that a restart when the same happened before and it wasn't? 5-0 restarts against the sharks. I'm sure all of those restarts were justified, but the sharks didn't infringe once in 80 minutes?

dannyt

Coach
So don't give them away. The other team didn't, so why do we? I'll tell you why. Fitness. They are so unfit it's a joke. They are gassed after 10 minutes.
Certainly that doesn't help, but there's inconsistencies in many games, not just ours.

Six-again called for an offence, which wasn't in a previous tackle and not called when it happens again. Even worse when it's given to one team, but not the other. Too much of a grey area and too subjective. As I said in a previous post, 5-0 against us for restarts, which were probably justified, but the sharks concede zero? This type of inconsistency directly leads to this type of stat:
1688344500375.png
We are not as fit as we should be, but giving away that much possession will gas you no matter how fit you are.

blacksafake

First Grade
Have never liked the six again rule & no doubt it has changed the fabric of the game.
It’s way too subjective & amazingly seems to always favour the better sides.
How the sharks were given six of them to none for us is wrong about the game now.
There’s no way in the world they never gave a ruck infringement or were offside for. 80 minutes.
Most referees are influenced by certain players whinging & at times a ruck infringement is not ruled until the ball has been cleared from the ruck.
Rant over 🤬🤬

Slippery Morris

First Grade
You can blame the super coach from down south with his grubby tactics. You know that is why we have these six agains now? Stop these teams slowing down the ruck. Players sin binned for hip drops. Etc. He has damaged the game big time. Anyway lets keep talking him up like an immortal but for me he has ruined the game more than anyone else who has been part of it. So many more rules have been introduced sine he has been a FG coach than any other coach in the history of the game.

mickeylane

Bench
I want to see the following rule changes brought back in to even up proceedings
- shoulder charge legalised
- the wedge allowed to be set up near tryline
- if you catch a bomb inside your dead ball - defending team rewarded for thwarting
- bring back the scrum feed in the middle so hookers can compete for the ball
- a draw is a draw no field goal bull shit in extra time
- locks can’t breakaway from the scrum until ball clears the scrum
- if a team scores 50 or more points they get an extra point
- if a team concedes more than 70 they’re expelled from the NRL!

You know there were sellouts at Brookie and in Auckland, where it pissed down the whole day?
Yes i know that and we basically had a sellout against Souths- but if your team gets flogged 66-0 do you reckon youre going to have a sellout the following week? The rules have to impacted the game too much and need to be returned to a slower game with fewer infringements and a more equal playing field. Otherwise the lower teams will be wiped out and currently were one of them

Mojo

Bench
I want to see the following rule changes brought back in to even up proceedings
- shoulder charge legalised
- the wedge allowed to be set up near tryline
- if you catch a bomb inside your dead ball - defending team rewarded for thwarting
- bring back the scrum feed in the middle so hookers can compete for the ball
- a draw is a draw no field goal bull shit in extra time
- locks can’t breakaway from the scrum until ball clears the scrum
- if a team scores 50 or more points they get an extra point
- if a team concedes more than 70 they’re expelled from the NRL!
What about the BS about:
- not being able to touch a guy who's catching a kick if he has one foot off the ground;
- so called late tackles on halfbacks after they've kicked the ball;
- penalties for tackles that 'technically' infringe the rules (lifted the legs above the horizontal etc - when trying to put a guy who weighs over 100kgs on the ground);
- stripping the ball from a guy who's carrying it like it's a Faberge egg;
- running a defender off his line - when in fact he's deliberately run into your back;
- running into a defending player and falling over like you've been shot by a sniper when you could have avoided contact and attempted a tackle.

Last edited:

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Cowboys lost 66-18 only to win 74-0 a few weeks later against they team that flogged them. Some teams bounce back from floggings such as the Cows. Saints with all their drama's can be excused for a flogging now or there but Tigers and Dogs went on a spending spree and bought in some guns for 2023 under new coaches. They should be ahead of teams such as the Titans and Knights. How good is Gus going now? First he gets Hook to Penrith, then he gets Ciraldo to the Dogs.

Trifili13

Juniors
The NRL administrators are pandering to tv execs and gaming companies too much. It's a though a high scoring game is better than a close contest where players decide the outcome, not some BS six again that could have been called practically every set but refs decide which one they will enforce it.

since77

Juniors
The six again rule is at best a lucky dip and at worst unfair to the defending team. It’s actually harsher than the old school penalty in many cases. At least the defence could regroup before play resumes. Now they’re just back-pedalling tackle after tackle and there’s no hope of stopping the attacking team’s momentum unless they make a mistake. Can’t believe I’m wishing we’d go back to the days of the wrestle. That’s how bad the current game has become. Vlandys has really screwed the game up the a$$ since taking over.

redv13

Bench
Too much emphasis on speeding up the game, gone way too far in my opinion. No one likes seeing absolute blow outs that are occurring way too often. The Manly Easts game yesterday was a ripper, and so was the Broncos Dolphins. As a viewer that’s what I want not 52-16, 74-0, 66-0 ( although I loved watching the dogs get absolutely pounded ).

Slippery Morris

First Grade
The six again rule helps manipulate the game to get the desired results I feel as there has been no consistency from what I can see. The ref will cane a team for 6 again and the opposition team will do the same thing around the ruck and it will be no six again. Refs will cane a team and that team will then be gassed and the other team runs away with the game because of it. Saints and Sharks was a tight affair up until the six again marathon at the back end of the 1st half which would have had a huge impact on the boys. Going in 18-10 as opposed to 24-10 is a big difference. I was paying close attention to the Sharks and saw no difference in the ruck to what Saints did in the first half for some instances.

st.phil

Bench
Have never liked the six again rule & no doubt it has changed the fabric of the game.
It’s way too subjective & amazingly seems to always favour the better sides.
How the sharks were given six of them to none for us is wrong about the game now.
There’s no way in the world they never gave a ruck infringement or were offside for. 80 minutes.
Most referees are influenced by certain players whinging & at times a ruck infringement is not ruled until the ball has been cleared from the ruck.
Rant over 🤬🤬
one of my major criticisms of Hunts captaincy is he's basically a mute on the field, bit of this QLD'er Hook ethos of "don't complain" - frogshit - silence is guilt in todays game and he / we fall silent.

Illusion

Bench
Too much emphasis on speeding up the game, gone way too far in my opinion. No one likes seeing absolute blow outs that are occurring way too often. The Manly Easts game yesterday was a ripper, and so was the Broncos Dolphins. As a viewer that’s what I want not 52-16, 74-0, 66-0 ( although I loved watching the dogs get absolutely pounded ).
Yep it has changed the , teams need big fast athletic type players to be competitive , then a good smart 6 and 7 , throw in a fast 9 (which Liddle can be ) and a good defensive fullback that can ball play ....... Something that we lack in bucket loads .......

TruSaint

Referee
why not make it that the tackle that was fouled doesn't count? - ie; an extra tackle

Thats' a great idea, and more in sync with the rugby league we know.

Love it. These "6 more" calls are way too arbitrary for our game.

Latest posts