What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SpoonWatch 2023

Walpole

Juniors
Technical question. If we get the spoon this year, is it our 1st, 4th or 7th spoon? St George Dragons have 3, Illawarra Steelers have 3...

Old Timer

Coach
Technical question. If we get the spoon this year, is it our 1st, 4th or 7th spoon? St George Dragons have 3, Illawarra Steelers have 3...
That all depends on how many premierships you think we have in total
St George 15
St GI 1
Oh wait a minute the Steelers didn’t win one to add to the list so that f**ks that equation up.

steerlerbab

Juniors
I would say our 7th. It is still joint venture of Dragons and Steelers and not a new entity. It is like merger between two companies. When two companies merge they get all the assets, patents and even liabilities the two companies.

Illusion

Bench
I would say our 7th. It is still joint venture of Dragons and Steelers and not a new entity. It is like merger between two companies. When two companies merge they get all the assets, patents and even liabilities the two companies.
Not sure about that really St George Illawarra have won only 1 Premiership so what happened before the merger stays as is ...... So I see it this way if St George Illawarra went on and won 12 Premierships in a row ( which will never ever happen) they would hold that record ...... Not St George ........ I may be wrong , but that's how I see it ......

thebigredv

First Grade
For 10 years we accepted the 'rebuilding' post-Bennett concept that was given for our lacklustre results as a club. I was antsy that whole time because I've been accustomed to being a proud competitive team and it took awhile to realise that we were this no longer - told time after time to 'be patient' when we missed out on the best player or coach, or when we painstakingly persisted with the same out-of-their-depth player or coach.

In truth, what kind of shonky development company would be allowed to get away with their 'rebuild' when 12 years later we barely have the scaffolding up for a great club? Our team is an eyesore and it can't possibly be as simple as a dud coach - people just want to think this. We are putting our belief in some players who, when the harsh light of reality strikes, now look like they more rocks than diamonds when under the blow torch that is first grade. Yes, a better coach can rewire some of this but no one with any credibility left in the game wants a bar of us as we are considered a shambles of an organisation and too far gone.

No longer can we look forward to at least playing the team coming last. We don't even have that, and although we didn't want to accept it, we all knew it would end up here. Won't change until we get someone with money and a passion for Red V success to say 'no longer' and turn this club around.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
I have already heard the media quote the year we last won the spoon. They are quick to say Saints have only won 1 premiership but even quicker to quote the year they last won a spoon. And they do refer to when St George not Illawarra last won the spoon.

Last edited:

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I have already heard the media quote the year we last won the spoon. They are quick to say Saints have only won 1 premiership but even quicker to quote the year they last won a spoon. And they do refer to when St George not Illawarra.
Typical of the media's hypocrisy. Either the history counts for everything or it doesn't. They use whatever "facts" they can that allow them to belittle and demean the Dragons.

Lucky yes, but good news for the Dragons.
We play Wests in round 21 on a Thursday night at WIN Stadium (20th July)
That game may well go a long way to deciding who finishes last this year.

thebigredv

First Grade
Lucky yes, but good news for the Dragons.
We play Wests in round 21 on a Thursday night at WIN Stadium (20th July)
That game may well go a long way to deciding who finishes last this year.

I look at players like Bula, To’a and Tupou plus the arrival of Papali, Korisau and Bateman and I don’t think tigers are going anywhere but up from here. If they are our best chance of avoiding the spoon than we are in trouble. Dogs have recruited even better, beat us already so I doubt they see us a threat of overtaking. Two wins clear as well - yikes!

I would have expected knights to slip down but players like Young and Marzhew are scoring tries at will. If Ponga plays enough footy they might even finish closer to the 8 than 17th.

Titans and Warriors have lifted this year. Won’t threaten top 8 but are well clear of us and streaks ahead in coaching and in terms of playing to potential.

We are clear favourites for the spoon and playing the best team at the worst time to boot. I see effort but ultimately no ability in them. Our players are just too steeped in poor culture and when you see the way our board act it is little wonder really. Fish rots from the head…

This is a sorry, sorry time for this club. May God help the next bloke to take the helm of head coach. Career ending stuff. At best he will be the stepping stone to something brighter.

Make some room in the second drawer down boys and girls.

jeffdragon

Bench
I look at players like Bula, To’a and Tupou plus the arrival of Papali, Korisau and Bateman and I don’t think tigers are going anywhere but up from here. If they are our best chance of avoiding the spoon than we are in trouble. Dogs have recruited even better, beat us already so I doubt they see us a threat of overtaking. Two wins clear as well - yikes!

I would have expected knights to slip down but players like Young and Marzhew are scoring tries at will. If Ponga plays enough footy they might even finish closer to the 8 than 17th.

Titans and Warriors have lifted this year. Won’t threaten top 8 but are well clear of us and streaks ahead in coaching and in terms of playing to potential.

We are clear favourites for the spoon and playing the best team at the worst time to boot. I see effort but ultimately no ability in them. Our players are just too steeped in poor culture and when you see the way our board act it is little wonder really. Fish rots from the head…

This is a sorry, sorry time for this club. May God help the next bloke to take the helm of head coach. Career ending stuff. At best he will be the stepping stone to something brighter.

Make some room in the second drawer down boys and girls.
We had Willy Wonka's 5 golden tickets.
V Titans, Raiders, Roosters Dogs and Tigers and still couldn't win.
That's where we will get it unless a miracle happens.
Only maybe win v Tigers and maybe 1 v Warriors.