What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

adamkungl

Immortal
I think with the news about 'World Rugby League' staging matches and talking World Cups we're in for a while longer.

Stormwarrior82

Juniors
Im led to believe there will be another GAISF meeting on the 24th January. Tomoz. So hopefully some promising news comes out over the next couple days.

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
What does observer status mean though? Does it mean at the very least Governments and RU can no longer stop games in certain countries? Does it mean Government funding is easier to get for developing nations? Will "World Rugby League" shut down now because they failed?

Stallion

First Grade
Can someone point to a specific example of how this well help?

The non recognition has been used as the excuse for no government funding for rugby league in South Africa. Their are other countries that have used lack of GSAIF recognition as the reason for not assisting rugby league. Their are also insurance implications for the code as a result of the non recognition in many countries.

siv

First Grade
What is now required to move to the next level and be formally recognised as a sport ?

deal.with.it

Juniors
The non recognition has been used as the excuse for no government funding for rugby league in South Africa. Their are other countries that have used lack of GSAIF recognition as the reason for not assisting rugby league. Their are also insurance implications for the code as a result of the non recognition in many countries.

This is huge! Finally we are a recognised sport! How will this help? Governments around the globe now have no option but to view RL as a separate sport to RU. Failure to do so will see legal proceedings. It also provides access to insurance and sports councils for many developing nations.
David Collier will leave a legacy after all.

Coparugby

Juniors
Can someone point to a specific example of how this well help?
In Italy there are two governing bodies. One has links to RU, the rebel body World Rugby League and has government support and the other is independent and linked to the RLIF.

The body linked to the RLIF can now go to the government and say they now have recognition by the GAISF.

Clubs in the rebel competition may now at least consider the RLIF group as an opportunity and option.

Stallion

First Grade
I understand the general benefit but I'm interested in stories about specific countries where this has been holding us back.
Italy is a good one.
For some reason I don't see it making a difference in South Africa.

Absolutely in South Africa. I refer you to the following article :

Attachments

• RL.The plight of South African rugby league.pdf
    28.8 KB · Views: 8

deluded pom?

Coach
In Italy there are two governing bodies. One has links to RU, the rebel body World Rugby League and has government support and the other is independent and linked to the RLIF.

The body linked to the RLIF can now go to the government and say they now have recognition by the GAISF.

Clubs in the rebel competition may now at least consider the RLIF group as an opportunity and option.
Are there still 2 governing bodies in Italy? I thought the other one had given up on league and concentrated on union?

Latest posts