What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport Accord recognition

adamkungl

Immortal
Absolutely in South Africa. I refer you to the following article :

I understand the situation. It's exactly that situation which makes me think they will do the absolute barest minimum required. Maybe they'll recognise that RL is a separate sport. Doesn't mean they will fairly fund it, or schools will play it, or Union clubs won't threaten players who give RL a go.

adamkungl

Immortal
Are there still 2 governing bodies in Italy? I thought the other one had given up on league and concentrated on union?

The other one is a large part of the 'World Rugby League' set up, If i understand correctly. Spurned manbabies in Italy and Greece, and some Pakistani bloke.

Stallion

First Grade
I understand the situation. It's exactly that situation which makes me think they will do the absolute barest minimum required. Maybe they'll recognise that RL is a separate sport. Doesn't mean they will fairly fund it, or schools will play it, or Union clubs won't threaten players who give RL a go.

Some of us are aware of the other obstacles and they will apply in other areas as well. But it's a start and has legal ramifications as alluded to by another contributer. The article I attached specifically mentions the GSAIF recognition issue.

LeagueXIII

First Grade
http://www.totalrl.com/rugby-league-gains-international-recognition/

Rugby League gains international recognition
January 30, 2018 Total Rugby League
rlif_logo.jpg

The Rugby League International Federation (RLIF) has been granted Observer Status by GAISF (Global Association of International Sports Federations – formerly SportAccord) at its Council meeting held on January 24th 2018.

Observer Status gives the RLIF the right to attend the GAISF General Assembly and allows it to take advantage of the GAISF network to grow and develop. The GAISF Observer Status has been designed as the first step in the path towards fulfilment of all criteria required for GAISF membership.

RLIF Chief Executive Officer, David Collier OBE, has welcomed the recognition saying: “We would like to thank the GAISF Council for their grant of Observer status for Rugby League, it will have a positive impact on the RLIF Membership around the globe. We currently have 71 member nations who will all now be able to progress relationships with their own national government and sports organisations. We look forward to taking up our position playing our part at the earliest opportunity.

“We have seen continued and sustained growth in the membership of the RLIF over the past 8 years and, built upon the interest generated by RLWC2017 in the Men’s, Women’s and Wheelchair formats, we expect to see that growth carry on.

“I would like to record my thanks on behalf of the Board to the staff and volunteers in our confederations and across the membership for their support and hard work.”

Share this:

Stallion

First Grade
I am sure it would have of helped that UAE blokes case if he could of pointed to the international recognition of RL. Hopefully it will prevent any further cases like that

Yes going to jail in the UAE courtesy of rugby union informants of a 'rebel' code being promoted. That's another tact the union boys will not have in their undermining of rugby league.

Reactions: siv

titoelcolombiano

First Grade
First of all, Kettle Bell Union WTF!!! lol

Secondly and most interestingly - we now officially recognised as the sport that held the first Rugby World Cup. World Rugby will love that one hahaha

Last edited:

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
What does observer status mean though? Does it mean at the very least Governments and RU can no longer stop games in certain countries? Does it mean Government funding is easier to get for developing nations? Will "World Rugby League" shut down now because they failed?

I assume "Observer" means they recognise this as an independent sport and the body as THEY international group, but that they arent part of the decision making circle for the direction of the Accord group.

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
Looking at other sources. I think the rugby league blurb quotes rugby league starting in 1874? Pretty sure thats not the case. 1895 I suggest? Maybe something to look into and update!?

Its pretty vague when RL "began"...

1874 would have been when the RFU was founded, but Rugby was played well before that. That was just when the clubs came together to formalise the rules and enforce amateurism.

But 1895 isnt much better; the NRFU played under Union rules for their first decade, so hardly the "birth of RL".

The best you could probably say was that RL was founded in 1906; when NRFU dramatically changed to rules and basically made it impossible to remerge with the RFU.

Or you could go back to 1880 and suggest that Walter Camp's American Football innovation (that arguably inspired the NRFU to change their rules) was the birth of RL.

The point is, its not so clear cut to say "RL was founded in year XXXX"

Hello, I'm The Doctor

First Grade
^^^

Actually, i think the implications of that 1874 reference is that they dont consider RL to be a part of RU that broke off.

Rather RL and RU are two halves of the formerly united Rugby, and that both sports have equal claim to that history. Basically, "Rugby" stopped existing in 1895; Rugby League and Rugby Union are BOTH offshoots from that common game.

Sure, RL has changed more since then, but RU is hardly loyal to those original rules.

Stallion

First Grade
Its pretty vague when RL "began"...

1874 would have been when the RFU was founded, but Rugby was played well before that. That was just when the clubs came together to formalise the rules and enforce amateurism.

But 1895 isnt much better; the NRFU played under Union rules for their first decade, so hardly the "birth of RL".

The best you could probably say was that RL was founded in 1906; when NRFU dramatically changed to rules and basically made it impossible to remerge with the RFU.

Or you could go back to 1880 and suggest that Walter Camp's American Football innovation (that arguably inspired the NRFU to change their rules) was the birth of RL.

The point is, its not so clear cut to say "RL was founded in year XXXX"

I suppose the 1874 clubs arrival eventually spawned rugby league in that it was the clubs that broke away not just individuals in 1895?

taipan

Referee
Extremely happy we got to this stage.International recognition by such a body, provides the impetus for the code in various countries to push for school participation, grants and wider acceptance.
A long wait to get to this stage, but worth the frustration.

Stallion

First Grade
Extremely happy we got to this stage.International recognition by such a body, provides the impetus for the code in various countries to push for school participation, grants and wider acceptance.
A long wait to get to this stage, but worth the frustration.

I suppose good things are worth waiting for! Although I feel for the many generations around the world that have missed out on this truelly great sport, Shame on the bigots of rugby union! Not all union people. The ones that advocated, perpetrated and knew of whats been going on.

Latest posts