What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sport in crisis as nine Aussies fail doping tests (Could involve NRL players)

The 18th Man

Juniors
Well if it's the "biggest doping scandal in Australian sport" and generates as much interest as, say, the salary cap rorts at Melbourne then as if people are not going to be chomping at the bit to know who the guilty parties are. Watch how differently the codes are treated when names start getting named.

I do agree with the last sentence and know where you are coming from. The NRL player(s) will be nailed to the cross where the AFL player(s) is likely to remain a hidden identity whilst taking on a drug rehab program. Unless of course the player is Akermanis :lol:

Danish

Referee
Hmmmm... sounds like the thing that Robbie O'Davis tested positive to when he was banned in 1998.

Watch rugby league get crucified if/when any players are identified. The AFL will ensure the names of their players are surpressed.

O'davis tested positive to anabolic steroids. He was an out an out cheat.

Nothing like this stuff

LESStar58

Referee
O'davis tested positive to anabolic steroids. He was an out an out cheat.

Nothing like this stuff

I remember him being interviewed on TFS in 1998 and he claimed it was a dietary supplement of some sort. It was a while ago so my memory is a little hazy but there is something vaguely familiar about this substance that is being mentioned...

LESStar58

Referee
I do agree with the last sentence and know where you are coming from. The NRL player(s) will be nailed to the cross where the AFL player(s) is likely to remain a hidden identity whilst taking on a drug rehab program. Unless of course the player is Akermanis :lol:

Kind of difficult given he got the arse from his last club and as a fumbleballer doesn't have many other career options...

The 18th Man

Juniors
Kind of difficult given he got the arse from his last club and as a fumbleballer doesn't have many other career options...

Which is why the AFL would name him ;-) He is no longer part of the code. I will spell it out a lot better next time.

Ironically most people saying this are talking from NSW where league gets most the coverage no doubt people from Victoria in AFL forums are whinging the exact opposite.

LESStar58

Referee
Ironically most people saying this are talking from NSW where league gets most the coverage no doubt people from Victoria in AFL forums are whinging the exact opposite.

Don't bet on it. AFL is a protected species. They have a laughable 3-strikes recreational drugs policy and when a bloke recently got done for his third offense and they banned him they turned it into a sob story about how he was suffering from depression. The fact that his father is/was a famous footballer probaly helped his cause too. I can only imagine what sort of measures Vlad and his underlings would take to hide performance enhancing drug use in the code.

If players from both codes are involved and names are named I will guarantee you that the Melbourne papers, along with noted RL haters like Bourbon Beccy and Fat Pat, will give more colum space to guilty parties in rugby league.

Don't bet on it. AFL is a protected species. They have a laughable 3-strikes recreational drugs policy and when a bloke recently got done for his third offense and they banned him they turned it into a sob story about how he was suffering from depression. The fact that his father is/was a famous footballer probaly helped his cause too. I can only imagine what sort of measures Vlad and his underlings would take to hide performance enhancing drug use in the code.

If players from both codes are involved and names are named I will guarantee you that the Melbourne papers, along with noted RL haters like Bourbon Beccy and Fat Pat, will give more colum space to guilty parties in rugby league.

monster+under+the+bed.jpg

Stopped looking for these ages ago, I choose to ignore AFL to be honest with ya unless I am having a bet on it.

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/national/sports-stars-drug-shame/story-e6frf7l6-1225942448838

AFL says players not in performance drugs blitz

* Simon Benson
* October 23, 2010 11:39AM

AFL stars are unlikely to be among the nine athletes who have tested positive to a banned performance enhancing substance.

The AFL released a statement today saying the league, clubs and players, had received no notification from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority that footballers were among the nine caught.

Under protocols, the league would have been told immediately if AFL registered players were involved.

“The AFL today confirmed that it had no notification from ASADA that any AFL players were among nine Australian athletes who have tested positive to the prohibited stimulant methylhexaneamine,” the AFL said in a statement.

“Under the ASADA performance enhancing drug protocols, any positive test of an A sample is immediately communicated to both the national sporting organisation and the athlete.

“The AFL confirms that it has received no such communication from ASADA that any AFL player has tested positive to the prohibited stimulant methylhexaneamine.”

The NRL today also released a statement, saying it was unaware of any of its players being among the nine.

"The National Rugby League and New South Wales Rugby League support warnings today from the Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority about the stimulant Methylhexaneamine and the need for all athletes to remain vigilant in regard to the contents of any supplements or dietary products," the statement said.

"The NRL is unaware of any positive test to Methylhexaneamine in any of its finals matches, premiership matches or out of competition tests.

"It has recorded a positive test to Methylhexaneamine at Toyota Cup level and a player is the subject of a provisional suspension until the matter is determined through the correct NRL and WADA procedures.

"The NSWRL has today confirmed that it is also pursuing two cases involving the same substance at NSW Cup level and one at Bundaberg Cup level.

"Further details in relation to individual cases are not available at this stage."

ASADA has refused to release the nine names following the blitz on the nation's top professional sporting bodies.

The Herald Sun can reveal the nine athletes tested positive to the banned stimulant DMAA, used in some bodybuilding and dietary supplements and as a component in some party drugs.

The tests are believed to have been done during the AFL and NRL Grand Finals.

Tests also were conducted before and after the Commonwealth Games in Delhi, but not during the event, which was monitored by international authorities.

The results were described as alarming and signalled a "massive" spike in the use of DMAA.

The stimulant was included on the global banned list at the end of 2009 - with a maximum two-year penalty.

Authorities believe many athletes may be unaware DMAA is used in some health supplements.

The shock results last night prompted ASADA to issue an urgent warning to all Australian athletes about the inadvertent use of the substance.

"It is a very large number in such a short period," a source said.

"That's why the warning has gone out."

With the London Olympics less than two years away, athletes could find themselves sidelined from the biggest event of their lives.

DMAA has already cost Nigerian sprinter Osayomi Oludamola her Commonwealth Games 100m gold medal.

She was handed the race in a storm of controversy when Australian sprinter Sally Pearson was disqualified for jumping the gun - only to lose it again when she tested positive.

ASADA chief Aurora Andruska last night confirmed nine athletes had tested positive and were being investigated.

"This spike in positive test results is a timely reminder to all athletes to exercise the utmost caution in checking the contents of supplements and other products they choose to use," she said.

The authority wants the Australian sporting community to be on the lookout for any supplement or product containing the stimulant, which has the chemical name methylhexaneamine.

Sports Minister Mark Arbib urged athletes to take extra precautions.

"The stimulant methylhexaneamine is appearing more and more in doping test results both here and overseas, and has been linked to a number of popular supplements," he said.

"With the spike in the number of positive test results ... we are warning athletes to take extreme caution and double check the contents of supplements and other products they choose to use.

"I would hate to see an athlete receive a ban because they hadn't carefully checked the ingredients of a supplement."

The ASADA warning said that Methylhexaneamine, also referred to as dimethylamylamine and dimethylpentylamine, was classed as an S6 stimulant on the World Anti-Doping Agencys Prohibited List for 2010 and is prohibited in-competition.

In a rare official warning issued last night to athletes, ASADA warned: "Athletes need to be aware that, under the policy of strict liability, they are responsible for any substance found in their body.

"Athletes using supplements do so at their own risk and, because of supplement manufacturing processes can lead to their contents varying from batch to batch, ASADA can not advise if supplements contain prohibited substances.

"The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) is advising all Australian athletes subject to in-competition doping control to carefully consider their use of supplements and products containing methylhexaneamine."

ASADA is concerned that many Australian athletes may be ingesting the chemical accidently, unaware that otherwise harmless supplements may contain the substance which is often not clearly identified in a products list of ingredient

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
The 12:00 midday 2GB 873 Macquarie National News Radio program just indicated one Toyota Cup player, two NSW Cup and one Bundaberg Red Cup players have been confirmed as among the nine athletes.

"DMAA" is the drug being referred to.

Last edited:

Timmah

LeagueUnlimited News Editor
Staff member
http://news.smh.com.au/breaking-new...tests-in-nrl-lower-grades-20101023-16y9a.html

The National Rugby League says it is unaware of any positive tests to Methylhexaneamine by their athletes but confirmed there have been positive testings recorded at lower grade levels.
The Australian Sports Anti-Doping Authority (ASADA) on Friday issued a warning to Australian athletes to be wary of what they were consuming after it was revealed nine athletes had tested positive to the banned stimulant methylhexaneamine, or DMAA.
ASADA fear some athletes may be taking the drug inadvertently, with the chemical found in body building and dietary supplements, while there are suggestions it is used in some party drugs.
Advertisement: Story continues below
The NRL and NSW rugby league supported ASADA's warnings about the banned stimulant and the need for players to remain vigilant in regard to the contents of any supplements or dietary products.
The testing period reportedly covered this year's NRL and AFL grand finals but the league released a statement on Saturday declaring it was unaware of any positive test to Methylhexaneamine in any of its finals matches, premiership matches or out of competition tests.
However they have recorded a positive test to Methylhexaneamine at Toyota Cup under 20s level and a player is the subject of a provisional suspension until the matter is determined through the correct NRL and WADA procedures.
The NSWRL also confirmed on Saturday that it is also pursuing two cases involving the same substance at NSW Cup level and one at Bundaberg Cup level.
Australian forward Paul Gallen says he would be surprised to see any NRL players caught up in the doping scandal which has nine athletes facing two-year bans, due to the code's strict regulation of supplement intake.
Authorities have refused to divulge the names of the nine athletes to have returned positive tests or the sports they compete in, but Gallen said NRL players followed strict guidelines when it came to taking any supplements.
A News Limited report on Saturday claimed NRL and AFL players may be among those to have tested positive, with the article also adding that authorities had refused to rule out any Commonwealth Games athletes.
"I don't know if any rugby league players would be taking it, I doubt it," Gallen said in Sydney on Saturday.
"We're highly regulated in what we take, all our clubs are guaranteed off the manufacturers what we're getting and we all take the same stuff.
"I don't think there would be too many blokes going out buying stuff over the counter and going off on their own bat and trying something different, it's probably too risky.
"We get drug tested probably as much as any athletes in the world so hopefully all of us are pretty good."
Nigerian runner Osayomi Oludamola lost her Commonwealth Games gold medal when she returned a positive test for DMAA, Oludamola having only been awarded the medal after Australian sprinter Sally Pearson was disqualified for a false start in the women's 100m final.

El Diablo

Post Whore
The 12:00 midday 2GB 873 Macquarie National News Radio program just indicated one Toyota Cup player, two NSW Cup and one Bundaberg Red Cup players have been confirmed as among the nine athletes.

"The NRL is unaware of any positive test to Methylhexaneamine in any of its finals matches, premiership matches or out of competition tests.

"It has recorded a positive test to Methylhexaneamine at Toyota Cup level and a player is the subject of a provisional suspension until the matter is determined through the correct NRL and WADA procedures.

"The NSWRL has today confirmed that it is also pursuing two cases involving the same substance at NSW Cup level and one at Bundaberg Cup level.

S.S.T.I.D

Bench
If supplements such as methylhexanamine are banned than caffeine should be banned as well, because in effect the only thing that DMAA does is to provide a stimulus in a similar manner to a large dose of caffeine. It has other pulmonary uses, but as a performance enhancer it would be very mild to say the least. It is very easy to get and could absolutely be used inadvertently by an athlete. I am a full time student and work casually at a supplement chain and we sell 2 supplements with DMAA and these supplements are 100% legal. I've used one of them and the other is one of the more popular around. I think it is unfair that these athletes are going to cop the wrap that they are about to, because if we compare the use of DMAA to testosterone, growth hormone, trenbolone or any of dozens of anabolic steroids the truth is that it isn't even in the same universe as far as performance enhancement and severity is concerned. Methylhexanamine is most definitely not the insidious drug that it is being made out to be.

Willow

Assistant Moderator

The Manly Gimp will be disappointed.

Now wait for the same media who called the Nigerian who got busted at the Commonwealth Games a cheat argue that any Australian athletes who tested positive must have accidently taken it, and are of course not cheating.

Danish

Referee
If supplements such as methylhexanamine are banned than caffeine should be banned as well, because in effect the only thing that DMAA does is to provide a stimulus in a similar manner to a large dose of caffeine. It has other pulmonary uses, but as a performance enhancer it would be very mild to say the least. It is very easy to get and could absolutely be used inadvertently by an athlete. I am a full time student and work casually at a supplement chain and we sell 2 supplements with DMAA and these supplements are 100% legal. I've used one of them and the other is one of the more popular around. I think it is unfair that these athletes are going to cop the wrap that they are about to, because if we compare the use of DMAA to testosterone, growth hormone, trenbolone or any of dozens of anabolic steroids the truth is that it isn't even in the same universe as far as performance enhancement and severity is concerned. Methylhexanamine is most definitely not the insidious drug that it is being made out to be.

Exactly

It's ridiculous that it's even banned. Taking protein supplements have mire performance enhancing power than this stuff