What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sports Drinks

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fiction or Fact.

My pet hate is the amount of commercialization and the amount of adds we must endure telling us who's is the best.

In my experience playing cricket in a subtropical climate makes you drink heaps. I used to drink about 3 or 4 bottles of Gatorade (or equivalent) in the first hour, or hour and a half if I am bowling, and to be honest, it made me feel worse, or even sick on some days.

I saw a program on TV where marathon runner made their own drinks as each person's needs are apparantly differnt.

So I started making my own.

I use 2 X 3 litre (cordial bottle) containers of cold water. Then I add a small amount of cordial, for glucose/energy, then a tiny sprinkling of salt.

Been using ti for years and it works a treat, some days i go through 4 or 5 litres. Works for me but I have no idea if thats just me and would work for any one else.

And it basically costs nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

JoeD

First Grade
The only time i really drink them is if i'm sick (stomach flu type, you can imagine the rest) and am feeling dehydrated. The colour of the stuff puts me off more than anything.

Ridders

Coach
I've always enjoyed heavily watered down cordial. Can't stand it being too strong.

I find stuff like Powerade to sugary, especially on hot days.

Johns Magic

Referee
Never really used them much. When you're dying on the footy field just plain water tastes like liquid heaven anyway.

If I do ever get a sports drink it's a Powerade Gold Rush. Only flavour I really like.

roopy

Referee
I reckon it could only be justified for sports where you can't eat for a long time.
Tennis players all seem to have bananas handy these days, and the potassium from a banana and maybe the sodium from a packet of chips would be a far better way to keep your electrolytes and blood sugar up in cricket, and just drink water.

Didgi

Powerade or Gatorade, red or blue. probably drink half a bottle of sports drink, then half a bottle of water, then an apple or some other fruit, during half time, drinks break, change of innings etc.

TheParraboy

Staff member
Ill drink a sports drink if im sweating buckets, I feel it hyrates me quicker and better.

During a sweaty indoor cricket game it works well for me

I like the staminade ones, but any will do

Also if I know Im gonna do a serious cardio session the next morning, Ill try and drink a couple of good glasses of water an hour or so before bed, even if I dont feel thirsty. Makes a big difference I find in my energy and fatigue levels during the session. Ill sip water throughout the workout, and when done Ill finish off with a sports drink

Shorty

Staff member
Never really used them much. When you're dying on the footy field just plain water tastes like liquid heaven anyway.

If I do ever get a sports drink it's a Powerade Gold Rush. Only flavour I really like.
Yeah your body actually releases something when you drink water specifically when you're thirsty.
I think the only time these drinks are recommended to be taken is when you're heavily, heavily in need of hydration ironman, marathons etc etc.
I had the Gaterade Tiger lime one the other day after mixed netball, was nice.

I can't stand the Powerade's they actually give me a headache.
There's word out that beer can help and marathon runners will actually have one before a race because of the carbs don't know how true that is though.

Valderon

Juniors
Fiction or Fact.

My pet hate is the amount of commercialization and the amount of adds we must endure telling us who's is the best.

In my experience playing cricket in a subtropical climate makes you drink heaps. I used to drink about 3 or 4 bottles of Gatorade (or equivalent) in the first hour, or hour and a half if I am bowling, and to be honest, it made me feel worse, or even sick on some days.

I saw a program on TV where marathon runner made their own drinks as each person's needs are apparantly differnt.

So I started making my own.

I use 2 X 3 litre (cordial bottle) containers of cold water. Then I add a small amount of cordial, for glucose/energy, then a tiny sprinkling of salt.

Been using ti for years and it works a treat, some days i go through 4 or 5 litres. Works for me but I have no idea if thats just me and would work for any one else.

And it basically costs nothing.

Just wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience.

Drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade are useful. They are not a quackery promotion aimed at selling a defunct product. However, they aren't 'as' immediately necessary as many people expect. In longer duration events, the sodium within the drinks will assist in replacing the sodium lost through sweat; plus the low levels of carbohydrate will assist with energy replenishment. This is important as significant sodium / potassium imbalances can lean to hyponatraemia / hypokalaemia - plus sodium intake from sports drinks help retain water in the body. A product such as this is also much lighter on the stomach (easier to digest, with minimal discomfort); as opposed to solid foods, during a long duration event (such as a marathon, triathlon, and so forth).

Generally speaking, water is a sufficient hydration tool for the first 2 hours of exercise. This is not to state that you can't use a sports drink prior to this. Certainly it is recommended after a two hour period (dependant on environmental conditions, sweat loss, exertion; etc).

In regards to making your own version. This is fine, and often a method athletes use (providing they're not sponsored by a sports drink company). There's no necessity to use a commercial sports drink if you're able to formulate your own carbohydrate based replenishment drink. It's often just an easier option to use a product such as Gatorade or Powerade.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Drinks such as Gatorade or Powerade are useful. They are not a quackery promotion aimed at selling a defunct product. However, they aren't 'as' immediately necessary as many people expect. In longer duration events, the sodium within the drinks will assist in replacing the sodium lost through sweat; plus the low levels of carbohydrate will assist with energy replenishment. This is important as significant sodium / potassium imbalances can lean to hyponatraemia / hypokalaemia - plus sodium intake from sports drinks help retain water in the body. A product such as this is also much lighter on the stomach (easier to digest, with minimal discomfort); as opposed to solid foods, during a long duration event (such as a marathon, triathlon, and so forth).

Generally speaking, water is a sufficient hydration tool for the first 2 hours of exercise. This is not to state that you can't use a sports drink prior to this. Certainly it is recommended after a two hour period (dependant on environmental conditions, sweat loss, exertion; etc).

In regards to making your own version. This is fine, and often a method athletes use (providing they're not sponsored by a sports drink company). There's no necessity to use a commercial sports drink if you're able to formulate your own carbohydrate based replenishment drink. It's often just an easier option to use a product such as Gatorade or Powerade.

what would I use to add carbohydrate to my drink ?

adamkungl

Immortal
Ilike orange powerade/gatorade. Drink it after footy training, and its not bad when im hungover either

Valderon

Juniors
what would I use to add carbohydrate to my drink ?

A high GI, easily digestible carbohydrate.

If you can manage, straight glucose is optimal. Obviously you would have to monitor the amount you're placing into the drink.

http://www.brianmac.co.uk/drinks.htm

Discusses some of the important concepts behind hydration in reference to water, and sports drinks - (with directions on the types of sports drinks, and methods to make your own).

aqua_duck

Coach
I get the powdered powerade Isotonic, usually have it towards the backend of my training session. I pay like $9.50 for a tub that makes over 8L so I'm paying abit more than $1/L

i tend to drink sports drinks late first half/early second half!

it works amazing, you drink water for 15 minutes, then to half time drink sport drink, then i drink it early and then have just water for the last 20 minutes!

i always feel great in the end of the game! it helps me keep going! but if i dont do it like this i get tired!

JoeD

First Grade
This probably only works if you're not a regular coffee drinker. I'm not and i've noticed if i have a coffee before a bike ride it definitely makes me a feel more spritely.

This thread could be expanded to - supplements, fact or fiction. Anybody take them?

aqua_duck

Coach
This probably only works if you're not a regular coffee drinker. I'm not and i've noticed if i have a coffee before a bike ride it definitely makes me a feel more spritely.

This thread could be expanded to - supplements, fact or fiction. Anybody take them?
Caffeine is supposedly good for 2 things when taken before exercise, it firstly increases energy expenditure, apparently by 10% so if you'd normally burn 400 cals a shot of caffeine may increase that to 440 cals. There's also evidence to suggest caffeine may aod in delaying fatigue from exercise which might make you got harder.
Alot of commercial pre-exercise boosters contain amongst other things caffeine.
In terms of supplements, I think the most important and most used supplement is obviously protein powder. If you're doing any sort of resistance exercise protein powder should be part of your pantry

JoeD

First Grade
In terms of supplements, I think the most important and most used supplement is obviously protein powder. If you're doing any sort of resistance exercise protein powder should be part of your pantry
What does protein powder do?

[furrycat]

Coach
Put it simply, protein helps the process of building muscle so you take it immediately before or after exercise and it works.

Creatine is great too - i swear by it.