What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Spread of League in England

WireMan

Bench
Ha, I think so.

But I think I prefer a traditional if only ceremonial concept of the counties rather than changing them all the time. That could be achieved at another level for financial and local administration control.
Anyway, while it matters naught what I think - I'll take Lanacashire with a dash of Manchester and Liverpool. :)

all the boundary changes were for postal or admin reasons.

Geographically the boundaries have never changed. They are all still in Lancashire. Most older folk round here don't treat Merseyside or Gtr Manc as real places.

It does show though why a war of roses is unlikely to work. Lancashire is where those queer folk oop north live (thats queer as in wierd) in places like Chorley and Blackburn.

As for Yorkshire Deluded people from "Wankashire" know we are the best. Don't be upset that we won the war... :D

All together now: Hen-ne-ry, Hen-ne-ry, Hen-ne-ry. :cool: :lol:

nadera78

Juniors
You're all just a bunch of northern monkeys!

Funnily enough, I've had stand-up arguments with people about being from Middlesex and not London. And I hate that people don't know where the boundaries with crappy neighbouring counties (like Essex and Surrey) actually sit. If a government department closes down a county council that doesn't mean the county ceases to exist; it's been there for a thousand bloody years!

bowes

Juniors
Lancashire, Cumberland, Westmorland and Durham aren't original counties.

Durham was originally part of Northumberland til the Bishop of Durham took it out (though this wasn't listed in the Domesday Book as the Normans hadn't got it under control yet). Northern Cumberland and Westmorland was Scottish and southern Cumberland and Westmorland were Yorkshire. Likewise Lancashire north of the Ribble was Yorkshire and south of it was Cheshire. All changed with a hundred or two years after we got counties though. Up til the 1800s counties had loads of detached parts where a town could be surrounded on all 4 sides by one county but be part of another one (not even necessarily a close county)

deluded pom?

Coach
You're all just a bunch of northern monkeys!

Funnily enough, I've had stand-up arguments with people about being from Middlesex and not London. And I hate that people don't know where the boundaries with crappy neighbouring counties (like Essex and Surrey) actually sit. If a government department closes down a county council that doesn't mean the county ceases to exist; it's been there for a thousand bloody years!

Us northern "monkeys" as you like to call us, will close ranks on you southern, shandy drinking poofs if you're not careful nad ;-)

WireMan

Bench
Lancashire, Cumberland, Westmorland and Durham aren't original counties.

Durham was originally part of Northumberland til the Bishop of Durham took it out (though this wasn't listed in the Domesday Book as the Normans hadn't got it under control yet). Northern Cumberland and Westmorland was Scottish and southern Cumberland and Westmorland were Yorkshire. Likewise Lancashire north of the Ribble was Yorkshire and south of it was Cheshire. All changed with a hundred or two years after we got counties though. Up til the 1800s counties had loads of detached parts where a town could be surrounded on all 4 sides by one county but be part of another one (not even necessarily a close county)

Your just trying to confuse people now!!

At one point Northumberland came down to the Mersey (means Boundary in Saxon) and thats where Mercia started. That was around the time of Offa. We also have the Dane law line that ran through the area when the Viking Knut was around.

Its always been the boundary betwee North and South. Monkeys to the North, Softies to the South. A Jewel in the middle... :D

WireMan

Bench
Us northern "monkeys" as you like to call us, will close ranks on you southern, shandy drinking poofs if you're not careful nad ;-)

The biggest fear of the south. Us Northerners all getting together.

Good job for them the number one tradition in the North is to dislike every other area in the North. :D

For evidence see any reaction to a merger. Hull with Hull KR? Widnes with Warrignton? Wakey with Cas? Whitehaven and Workington? We would rather play semi pro lower leagues than link with them scummers!!

Daveyboy

Juniors
Ah leave the South alone, they dont have the history of the game that the North does. I coached in Australia before coming over here, coached in South Wales and now London, there is some quality talent around..seriously (which i keep losing to Quins grrr).

What England produce best is forwards...there arent many backs and halves that 'wow' me like in Oz. What i keep finding here is that..players think bigger is best? Its like being in 90's in Oz all over again...

I played this game (no not at a NRL level) at 63kgs at No.7....but i could run a 100m in under 11secs...i couldnt put a shoulder shot on, but technique in tackling was fine. Without carrying on....if you want to start beating Australia, you need more than forwards..you have to nuture backs, teach them real line running, be creative and find pace. I gave my current squad a backline move which we only use twice a game, despite having 3 options on it..but it has strike ratio of over 70% in scoring.

I got a little off topic sorry..but leave the South alone...im coming up hopefully next season with squad/s, cant wait for the test. I think the South is developing alright considering that Union is quite big down here and football.

nadera78

Juniors
Ah leave the South alone, they dont have the history of the game that the North does. I coached in Australia before coming over here, coached in South Wales and now London, there is some quality talent around..seriously (which i keep losing to Quins grrr).

What England produce best is forwards...there arent many backs and halves that 'wow' me like in Oz. What i keep finding here is that..players think bigger is best? Its like being in 90's in Oz all over again...

I played this game (no not at a NRL level) at 63kgs at No.7....but i could run a 100m in under 11secs...i couldnt put a shoulder shot on, but technique in tackling was fine. Without carrying on....if you want to start beating Australia, you need more than forwards..you have to nuture backs, teach them real line running, be creative and find pace. I gave my current squad a backline move which we only use twice a game, despite having 3 options on it..but it has strike ratio of over 70% in scoring.

I got a little off topic sorry..but leave the South alone...im coming up hopefully next season with squad/s, cant wait for the test. I think the South is developing alright considering that Union is quite big down here and football.

One of the problems here is that the game has an image problem in that people think you need to be huge to play it, so lots of kids (and their parents) don't consider getting involved if they're not strapping lads.

The other thing is that you find big lads, despite being natural wingers/centres being moved into the forwards by their coaches. That's why we've got so many 2nd rows and no centres.

The biggest problme though is that we're (traditionally - it's changing slowly) drawing from a small group of players. Most kids here only think about playing soccer, everything else is seen as irrelevant.

WireMan

Bench

If you think football is big down South you should try it up here!!

I feel we are beginning to a higher quality of back in the England game now. Once you cannot get relegated the need to buy a superstar back is going a bit.

For example Warrington took a risk on Myler for the half back role, in the past we have had Langer, Johns or more to the point Wood and Appo.

There is some real quality out there now.

Also to be fair at the mo there are not many players in the NRL that give me the wow factor. Inglis and Hayne maybe, in Aus at the mo, so they get tested every week as every team (except Sharks) have v. good players.

Just read about the Carnegie Champion Schools tournament that has been going on in the UK.

The article stated that the competition restarted in 2002 with 5186 participants. It has now grown from this to 29,837 participants with 1572 boys and 216 girls teams.

A more interesting fact was that of all the teams playing 245 where from the south of the country. I noted teams form Feltham (London) & Brentwood (Essex) making the final of some age groups.

What a great job those in charge of English RL have done in such a short time to get the game going at a grass roots level. There is always room for improvement but hopefully RL can be seen as a real alternative to other more established sports especially that it is played in the summer.

docbrown

Coach
Just read about the Carnegie Champion Schools tournament that has been going on in the UK.

The article stated that the competition restarted in 2002 with 5186 participants. It has now grown from this to 29,837 participants with 1572 boys and 216 girls teams.

A more interesting fact was that of all the teams playing 245 where from the south of the country. I noted teams form Feltham (London) & Brentwood (Essex) making the final of some age groups.

What a great job those in charge of English RL have done in such a short time to get the game going at a grass roots level. There is always room for improvement but hopefully RL can be seen as a real alternative to other more established sports especially that it is played in the summer.

Yeah saw that. Participants in the game at grassroots level have doubled over the past 5 years. I think though that if England can make a great showing at home in the World Cup just after the Olympics - if they can make the final and/or even win it or at least play the game with a hell of a lot of passion - it could be a great advertisement to capitalise on.

Latest posts