What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

hindy111

Post Whore
Mahoney is already a better hooker than Pritchard. It would be madness not to re-sign him into the top 30, regardless of whether we sign Luke or not. The pecking order should be:
1. Luke
2. Mahoney (playing 14. or back up if Luke signs)

3. Pritchard (as a backup in case of injuries)

I think a fit Kaysa is better st this stage. His games against tigers and one other before injury where brilliant. But Kaysa is never fit. He needs 2 full years fit to get into swing of it. He maybe 23 but amount of footy puts him back like a 20yld

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
There is a lot of hot air about Mahoney not being signed. Has anyone said he hasn’t? Meanwhile Lane, Terepo and Gower have all said they are signed yet the club hasn’t announced it.
Mahoney is almost certainly contracted for 2019, however without an upgrade he is probably still on the development contract he was on this year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I think a fit Kaysa is better st this stage. His games against tigers and one other before injury where brilliant. But Kaysa is never fit. He needs 2 full years fit to get into swing of it. He maybe 23 but amount of footy puts him back like a 20yld
24 this year

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I reckon Mahoney is signed up and moved in the top 30 this year, wasn’t he picked in the last round over King?

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I reckon Mahoney is signed up and moved in the top 30 this year, wasn’t he picked in the last round over King?

I tend to agree, cant possibly see how or why he would not be re-signed or upgraded after the form he showed

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm sure both player and club want to upgrade him. The question is by how much. The club has the upper hand here because they theoretically don't have to upgrade him at all, though if they don't then he's not automatically available for selection. The player and manager would know this too. So the club might say 'We want to upgrade you to $150k for next year and if you don't like it you can stay on your current $60k" (the max for development players) to which the player/manager might reply "We want $250k and if you don't pay it the player is happy to spend the year in reserve grade and we'll also take the Cowboys' offer for 2020."

This is all assuming he is currently outside the top 30 for next year. His contract might always have had him moving into the top 30 for 2019, and we're all just talking shit. It's a possibility.

JokerEel

Coach

Mahoney is our best number 9.. only because he can pass cleanly to our halves..

Penrith need a good hooker how many times on friday night did the halves have to reach out to catch the ball horrible service...

emjaycee

Coach
Mahoney is our best number 9.. only because he can pass cleanly to our halves..

Penrith need a good hooker how many times on friday night did the halves have to reach out to catch the ball horrible service...
I think it was about 7 times, but I didn't watch the whole game.

Who do qld have as dummy half options?

McCullough, Friend, Lichaa (?), Granville. I'm sure I'm missing someone obvious.

Huge prediction from Joshuatheeel
As Mahoney is not even the starting hooker for Qld u20s as Harry Grant is in front of him in 2018 and Harry was starting hooker in 2017 also and previous to that was Jake Turpin

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Huge prediction from Joshuatheeel
As Mahoney is not even the starting hooker for Qld u20s as Harry Grant is in front of him in 2018 and Harry was starting hooker in 2017 also and previous to that was Jake Turpin

Mahoney was the best player in that 20's origin. Mahoney has also played 9 NRL games, starting 3 including playing approx 60 minutes in his debut. Turpin and Grant have played 3 NRL games between them, starting 0.

They're all about as much chance as each other to play 50 NRL games as they are to be QLD's next hooker.

Gronk

Staff member
Mahoney was the best player in that 20's origin. Mahoney has also played 9 NRL games, starting 3 including playing approx 60 minutes in his debut. Turpin and Grant have played 3 NRL games between them, starting 0.

They're all about as much chance as each other to play 50 NRL games as they are to be QLD's next hooker.
Agree. Reedy flipped the game when he came on.

Both brown and Stefano will be in the 2 of 6 in the development squad

How sure of that are you.? Both boys only resigned and upgraded last year. Brown is tied up to 2020 at present. I think from what iv herd there are going to be a few shock selections in the top 30 - 36 next year 100%. Dont count a few young ones out.!

You serious OA..? Reed wouldnt of even got a start at any other club this year. Fact. The fact Parra were running dead last along with injuries allowed us to blood him.
Turpin and Grant are both quality hookers in great teams behind fantastic hookers ion Cam Smith and Andrew McCullough.
Both are regarded as better propositions than Reed.
Not denying the fact he played well. But he did so coming of the bench in a roll he is familiar with doing that in our 20s system. Reed's game is off the cuff and comming off the bench allowed him to do that in the origin game.

Reed Mahoney has an opportunity along with the others to be a Qld hooker but i highly doubt it.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
You serious OA..? Reed wouldnt of even got a start at any other club this year. Fact. The fact Parra were running dead last along with injuries allowed us to blood him.
Turpin and Grant are both quality hookers in great teams behind fantastic hookers ion Cam Smith and Andrew McCullough.
Not denying the fact he played well. But he did so coming of the bench in a roll he is familiar with doing that in our 20s system. Reed's game is off the cuff and comming off the bench allowed him to do that in the origin game.

Reed Mahoney has an opportunity along with the others to be a Qld hooker but i highly doubt it.

Well he can't debut at other clubs because he's contracted to the Eels. If he started for another club there would've been a lot of confusion but I wouldn't put it past the NRL CEO to somehow pull it off.

A lot of "better propositions" don't make the step up to first grade for one reason or another. All 3 are just as likely to become the captain of QLD as they are to never play a full season of first grade at this point in their careers.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Also the qrl favours broncos players in junior rep teams as they basically run the show up there. So I'm not putting any weight into who is picked ahead of who when it comes to those teams.

Also the qrl favours broncos players in junior rep teams as they basically run the show up there. So I'm not putting any weight into who is picked ahead of who when it comes to those teams.

That's a fair statement but Reed spent most of his juniors in Qld & still wasn't picked. Selectors all have there opinions as to what players they want in there squads. Personally i'm a fan of Mahoney but i think he is suited to a rotation position like Mitch Rein does with Peats.
That's only my opinion.
Time will tell

Its great to give Mahoney credit for what he did in the 20s origin. But the starting hooker paved the way for Mahoney to reep the rewards as do all starting hookers in the game,

Enakeel

Juniors
That's a fair statement but Reed spent most of his juniors in Qld & still wasn't picked. Selectors all have there opinions as to what players they want in there squads. Personally i'm a fan of Mahoney but i think he is suited to a rotation position like Mitch Rein does with Peats.
That's only my opinion.
Time will tell

Its great to give Mahoney credit for what he did in the 20s origin. But the starting hooker paved the way for Mahoney to reep the rewards as do all starting hookers in the game,
Ol rugby league fan back on the Mahoney hate band wagon. f**k up idiot, no one agrees with you. Mahoney left qld when he was 16. When juniors didn’t mean squat, you’ll get it right one day

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

I'll just be happy if he becomes a genuine first grader.

JokerEel

Coach
That's only my opinion.
Time will tell

Cam Smith was passed over by the Broncos and so was Thurston as Juniors....

Parramatta Juniors over the past 30 years have been the best ever but dont make it in 1st grade...

Reed is better than what Penrith have..

With the right Guidance he will be in the top 5 hookers...