What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Squad succession

Avenger

Immortal
Ffs pou….

Matt Arthur
Daejarn Asi
Zac Cini
Morgan Harper
Isaac Lumelume
Makahesi Makatoa
Lorenzo Mulitalo
Ofahiki Ogden
Ethan Sanders
Blaize Talagi

have all been confirmed by the club that they’re departing at the end of year
Quite significant when you realise every one of them has played first grade. Talagi is the only one I would have kept but not at fullback.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Tago would carve those merkins up. If they were any good they would be playing reserve grade by now.

Alameddine and Nanva have. Who knows if we weren't vying for a potential Flegg finals spot they may have gotten more games. McCarthy also playing Flegg after the SG Ball season.

Also Tago is 25, the important wingers and centres from the final Flegg game are 19 and 20.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Alameddine and Nanva have. Who knows if we weren't vying for a potential Flegg finals spot they may have gotten more games. McCarthy also playing Flegg after the SG Ball season.
Going by milestones I’d say only Alameddine has NRL potential. He will be a better player than Tago. It’s just a matter of when. Maybe not by 2025, which is why Tago is ahead of him.
Also Tago is 25, the important wingers and centres from the final Flegg game are 19 and 20.
This is why teams sign backup players in their mid twenties instead of stockpiling merkins from SG Ball. There’s value in physical and mental maturity. For every 19 year old freak like Talagi, there’s a dozen Jake-Tago-from-six-years-ago.

Delboy

First Grade
Tago would carve those merkins up. If they were any good they would be playing reserve grade by now.
You argue just to argue, those players were deliberately kept in Flegg as they were close to Finajs and deserved the opportunity. You won’t see much on highlights and as OA and others that can actually attend those games, have a fair idea of their ability. Tago is a place holder, and there was a reason he was playing RMC, handy but not NRL level and will be overtaken by probably the 4 mentioned.

please don’t reply with your opinions as it’s just a circular argument for its own sake

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Dom, who has been 19th man last few weeks, is also a back. But is only 18 this year. Hopefully next year he gets pushed into flegg....has gone ok so far in junior reps

Delboy

First Grade
Dom, who has been 19th man last few weeks, is also a back. But is only 18 this year. Hopefully next year he gets pushed into flegg....has gone ok so far in junior reps
Hopefully we have a coaching set up like most other clubs that are prepared to promote younger players , rather than what we have generally seen in the recent past which is preferring seasoned journeymen.

emjaycee

Coach
How Bout Both GIF by Joey Bada$$

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You argue just to argue
I argue because I disagreed with you.
those players were deliberately kept in Flegg as they were close to Finajs and deserved the opportunity.
I’m sure many of them played less reserve grade than they might have, for this very reason. However the fact stands that our best under 21 players played zero Flegg this year, including Talagi, Sanders, Arthur and Guymer.
You won’t see much on highlights and as OA and others that can actually attend those games, have a fair idea of their ability.
I don’t bother with highlights because I don’t pretend to be any judge of junior talent. Carving up against age limited opponents provides very little insight. Just about every merkin in reserve grade stood out in junior reps. We know this because so many of these merkins get talked up by people who attend their games and most of them never play first grade.

I’ve been around long enough to notice there are far more reliable indicators of NRL potential, and these centre on decisions made by the people paid to develop NRL players. Youngsters with high NRL potential generally hit their milestones younger than juniors with less NRL potential; What age do they debut in SG Ball/Jersey Flegg/NSW or QLD Cup? Do they play junior Origin or Australian Schoolboys, and how old were they? What age do they get their first full time (supplementary list) contract? When do they enter the top 30? This data isn’t perfect, but it’s a much better predictor than gushing fans who are emotionally invested in the success of individual players where they have perhaps spoken to him personally or met the kid’s family.
Tago is a place holder,
I’m sure he is, and if he never plays NRL for us again it’ll be a good sign. But right now he is a superior backup to the likes of Nanva or Vaivela and I have no doubt he would outplay them in reserves or first grade, definitely this year and probably next year as well.
and there was a reason he was playing RMC,
Because he was too old for Flegg, and had dropped out of full time rugby league due to injuries.
handy but not NRL level and will be overtaken by probably the 4 mentioned.
Well I hope so, but I’m on the record with my prediction that Alameddine is the only back in Flegg this year who will play NRL. Josh Lynn is a chance too. Penisini and AMS have NRL potential (genuine potential, not just playing a handful of career NRL games) and I’m certain neither would’ve played Flegg this year if they were fit.
please don’t reply with your opinions as it’s just a circular argument for its own sake
The argument that you are wrong is quite linear actually, but I understand why you wouldn’t want to hear it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Dom, who has been 19th man last few weeks, is also a back. But is only 18 this year.
Now this is a good indicator. Playing Flegg at 18 is a sign of high potential. The fact he started in the back row is interesting, though not necessarily good or bad. It at least shows that he has size and strength.
Hopefully next year he gets pushed into flegg....has gone ok so far in junior reps
You’d hope he would be a chance of playing more Flegg next year when SG Ball is over.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Hopefully we have a coaching set up like most other clubs that are prepared to promote younger players , rather than what we have generally seen in the recent past which is preferring seasoned journeymen.
We had two blokes in reserve grade this year who were eligible for SG Ball. Plus Rich Penisini if he hadn’t gotten hurt. On top of that, Sanders and Guymer were Flegg eligible. AMS was also still eligible for Flegg this year but was moved permanently to reserve grade after two games in Jersey Flegg last year. I don’t have to attend Ringrose Park to know that.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Now this is a good indicator. Playing Flegg at 18 is a sign of high potential. The fact he started in the back row is interesting, though not necessarily good or bad. It at least shows that he has size and strength.

You’d hope he would be a chance of playing more Flegg next year when SG Ball is over.
Think you are referring to De Stradis, who I think is 20 this year. I am referring to Farrugia, who didn't get any flegg time, but was 18th a couple of times.

Anyhow, from what I have seen, playing flegg at 18 happens. But I think playing at 19, is a pretty good indication (then NSW cup at 20).

Lot of times it's not ability with the 18 year old, but the physical development of the player. And the week to week grind is just to much.

Nrown on TCT gave a good overview of it.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Think you are referring to De Stradis, who I think is 20 this year. I am referring to Farrugia, who didn't get any flegg time, but was 18th a couple of times.

Anyhow, from what I have seen, playing flegg at 18 happens. But I think playing at 19, is a pretty good indication (then NSW cup at 20).

Lot of times it's not ability with the 18 year old, but the physical development of the player. And the week to week grind is just to much.

Yeah, Farrugia was originally named but it was wrong. I think the current progression of very talented, local junior players is 2 years of Harold Matts (starting age 16), 1 year SG Ball, rest of the year in Flegg, then cup (aged 19). The next talented will spend an extra year in SG Ball, the least talented won't start Jersey Flegg until the year they turn 20. This doesn't mean it can't be done another way.

I am unsure of the predicted progression of external players I.e Ollie McCarthy, Matthew Hunter, Apa Twidle who don't come in until the final year of SG Ball or 1st year Jersey Flegg.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yeah, Farrugia was originally named but it was wrong. I think the current progression of very talented, local junior players is 2 years of Harold Matts (starting age 16), 1 year SG Ball, rest of the year in Flegg, then cup (aged 19). The next talented will spend an extra year in SG Ball, the least talented won't start Jersey Flegg until the year they turn 20. This doesn't mean it can't be done another way.

I am unsure of the predicted progression of external players I.e Ollie McCarthy, Matthew Hunter, Apa Twidle who don't come in until the final year of SG Ball or 1st year Jersey Flegg.
Yep,

Alameddine is probably an example of one of those middle talent group of players. Wasn't in flegg last year at 18 (unless he was injured). Played Ball this year, then progressed to flegg and got a game in NSW cup at 19. And he didn't look out of place in cup. No superstar junior, but developing nicely.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I remember Farrugia was named at second row one week. It was remarkable because we remarked upon it. Did it turn out to be a mistake in the program?
Anyhow, from what I have seen, playing flegg at 18 happens.
Arthur and Talagi did it last year. It’s uncommon.
But I think playing at 19, is a pretty good indication (then NSW cup at 20).
Agreed

It’s a fair point, but we do know late bloomers are very rare. They would no doubt be more common if reserve graders were paid better but the game can’t really sustain or justify it.