What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sri Lanka tour of NZ

rickywalford1

First Grade
Are you better at dealing with mid 140's type pace ? Been a long standing Achilles heel for NZ IMO. Not sure 12months of Pakistan, West Indies and Sri Lanka is evidence of too much. Id add England to SA and Australia. Broad, Anderson, Tremlett could roll you for not much.

vvvrulz

Coach
WTF was that McGlenagan??

on 99* so he bowls him a 125km half tracker... SMH

McClenaghan is honestly pretty average.

He has a bucket of wickets but hardly any of them were particularly good balls, mostly cashes in on lazy shots, slogs gone wrong at the death etc. I won't be bothered if he missed out in the WC.

vvvrulz

Coach
Id add England to SA and Australia. Broad, Anderson, Tremlett could roll you for not much.

Finn is dangerous if he gets it right, is Tremlett going to be in the world cup?
Always rated him.

England's frail batting will cost them in the end.

shiznit

Coach
Are you better at dealing with mid 140's type pace ? Been a long standing Achilles heel for NZ IMO. Not sure 12months of Pakistan, West Indies and Sri Lanka is evidence of too much. Id add England to SA and Australia. Broad, Anderson, Tremlett could roll you for not much.
140-150kms we have always been fine with... That's what Boult and co bowl at anyway so it's nothing new to them.

What we have struggled with in the past is the 150+ pace... Ahktar, Lee, Steyn etc have tended to really trouble us...

But good spinners are more of an issue for our team traditionally IMO...

Pace shouldn't be an issue at all for us... In fact with Adam Milne we have probably one of the quickest attacks in the world at the moment.

Meth

Staff member
Out of curiosity.... how much are you NZ fans taking out of this series? Obviously played in same/similar conditions as the WC, and Sri Lanka aren't a bad ODI side.

Do you think they're the best side to be playing on the eve of a big tournament?

Obviously its good to win the series and NZ cricket is on a high at the moment. But I don't think you can read too much into it. Seen a lot of articles over here talking up our chances and it's bloody frustrating. Despite being one of the hosts of the tournament, we're still very much underdogs and I don't care to relinquish that tag. It seems we have, unfortunately.

rickywalford1

First Grade
140-150kms we have always been fine with... That's what Boult and co bowl at anyway so it's nothing new to them.

What we have struggled with in the past is the 150+ pace... Ahktar, Lee, Steyn etc have tended to really trouble us...

But good spinners are more of an issue for our team traditionally IMO...

Pace shouldn't be an issue at all for us... In fact with Adam Milne we have probably one of the quickest attacks in the world at the moment.

Yeah the extreme end is what I was referring too. Of Lee's 300 wickets, it felt like 150 of them were kiwis. Fair point re Boult. I suppose having him around would have to help, but I'm still not convinced. Be interesting to see if it translates to your batsmen in game day situations.

vvvrulz

Coach
Obviously its good to win the series and NZ cricket is on a high at the moment. But I don't think you can read too much into it. Seen a lot of articles over here talking up our chances and it's bloody frustrating. Despite being one of the hosts of the tournament, we're still very much underdogs and I don't care to relinquish that tag. It seems we have, unfortunately.

Especially our batting, BMac won't always fire and then its basically Williamson & Taylor or nothing.

Elliott/Ronchi/Anderson and co. have their moments but if it comes down to them getting us home in a semi-final against Steyn and Morkel its going to be real tough.

shiznit

Coach
Yeah the extreme end is what I was referring too. Of Lee's 300 wickets, it felt like 150 of them were kiwis. Fair point re Boult. I suppose having him around would have to help, but I'm still not convinced. Be interesting to see if it translates to your batsmen in game day situations.
Boult isn't really about pace... He gets up to the 148-149kms but that's usually because he's got a good rhythm going... Boult is about swing.... Genuine swing... When he's swinging it well and in that rhythm he's almost unplayable.

The pace in our attack comes from Adam Milne... That kid is bowling 150-155kms on slow NZ drop in pitches... God knows how fast he will be when we get to unleash him on quicker decks in Australia or South Africa. Staying fit... And working on his accuracy are the key to him.

JJ

Immortal
Milne much more reliable than Tait

Wonder how much longer Guppy's career record will keep him in the team esp of Latham can get some runs

shiznit

Coach
Milne at the moment is more of a Shaun Tait than a Brett Lee
Agree 100%...

I'm annoyed that Bond has left the NZ set up... I hope we bring in another ex fast bowler as I feel Milne needs some guidance in that area... Donald and Bond have been good for the development of our quicks.

Brett Lee has retired... Maybe he could be a nice option to bring in...

shiznit

Coach
Latham gone...

Uh-oh... Here comes the calamity kings... Over/Under 3 overs before the first mix up between these two...

JJ

Immortal
Also I think all our quicks will be much faster in Aust and Boult with the red ball will be very slippery

Shit the WC depends a lot on Baz, Kane and Ross, just worries me that Baz has decided he's going hard early, he should ease off a touch and let Guptill go for it

rickywalford1

First Grade
Boult isn't really about pace... He gets up to the 148-149kms but that's usually because he's got a good rhythm going... Boult is about swing.... Genuine swing... When he's swinging it well and in that rhythm he's almost unplayable.

The pace in our attack comes from Adam Milne... That kid is bowling 150-155kms on slow NZ drop in pitches... God knows how fast he will be when we get to unleash him on quicker decks in Australia or South Africa. Staying fit... And working on his accuracy are the key to him.

I don't need convincing re Boult. Great bowler. Haven't seen Milne.

shiznit

Coach
Also I think all our quicks will be much faster in Aust and Boult with the red ball will be very slippery

Shit the WC depends a lot on Baz, Kane and Ross, just worries me that Baz has decided he's going hard early, he should ease off a touch and let Guptill go for it
Looking like it's going to be a pink ball...

We will probably be playing the first ever day/night test match on that tour by the sounds of things...

Latest posts