What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

St George Illwarra Dragons vs Parramatta Eels From MES Stadium Perth

Dragonwest

Juniors
Had quite a few slate cans this avo but I'll try n help. I can't really comment on Para players.

Creagh, Hornby & Smith only played the opening 20 i believe. All were strong for their time.

Merrin & Hunt were strong up the middle.
Priddis looked crafty, but gave away his usual penalty at the ruck.
Henry n Marketo were playing well down the left for a period.
Lett n Nightingale were impressive on the wings.
Goodwin was disappointing.
Boyd very soild at the back n stopped a certain try at the line.
Hornby looked to have put on some weight.
Henry looked bigger to me than when I last had seen him. Wish Marketo would put some on. Hunt look very trim & fit like last yr.

If i remember any more I'll post back.

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
Very important question for the boys who were there....What were our socks like? The shorts look very English Super League, but I can live with that sh*t for a bit more red in the socks.

Anybody?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
FTR, this forum had almost 500 viewers at one point.

active-users-stgeo_10_02_14.jpg

By the time I got to the screen capture, it had settle back to 450.

Pretty sure this a record for a single forum on LU.

The main forum's message board peaked at 863 members tonight, which is also a new record.

active-users_10_02_14.jpg

Smithtown

Coach
First of all, this trial wasn’t a patch on last seasons.

The reason is simple – last season Bennett treated it as a game as he needed to know who was who in the zoo. This year it was treated strictly as a trial – there were blokes everywhere.

For what its worth, here’s some thoughts. Be aware though, Parramatta were ordinary in large chunks of the game and they possible had more out than Saints did. They had a lot of the ball, and Justin Poore did not play.

• Darius Boyd – super cool, chimed in nicely into the backline in the first quarter and safe as houses at the back. Didn’t play long minutes.
  • Michael Lett – quiet day at the office. Did his work ok from the left wing. Was shaky early in defence with Peni.
  • Peni Tagive – very robust in attack, hit the left fringes hard, fast and straight. Good leg drive and almost made some clean busts. Took the hitups directly from scrums. A bit shaky in defence with Matt Prior sent out to help. Looks more a winger to me at this stage.
  • Nick Emmett – never lets anyone down. Very serviceable in attack and defence. The new Col Bramley, if we run out of centres through the year and this guy plays I won’t be worried.
  • Jason Nightingale – needs more footy. Did some good things, did some bad things, did some things that he will do better with 5 or so games under his belt. No need to worry, he’ll come good.
  • Kyle Stanley – terrific. The kid has touch, which you sometimes can’t teach. Threw a few misdirected passes, missed some tackles, but I saw more in him than he produced. He’s a keeper and he’ll go along way, but not this season. Will kill 20s. Looked to have picked up a decent knock.
  • Ben Hornby – was hardly on the field but was very strong in the first quarter when he was on. Nice kick to set up Emmett try and did enough to suggest that he will be permanent # 7 for the season.
  • Dan Hunt – terrific. Made the hard yards, did the big hits, and showed a few nice touches with the pill – especially two short balls before the advantage line. This part of his game has obviously developed over the off season. In for a stellar year.
  • Nathan Fien – I’m on record as saying he wasn’t required at the club, but he was clearly the best player on the park. Very creative, enterprising and energetic. Created good momentum from darting runs from dummy half and distribution was sound. Slipped into halfback at times and was possibly even better in this role.
  • Trent Merrin – we know the kid can play, and he played well today. Shirked nothing and did plenty, and was one of the best on the field. Looked like one who treated the game more than a trial.
  • Jon Green – same bloke as we know, might play a bit more 1st grade than expected due to the Weyman injury. Can hold his own but no more.
  • Ben Creagh – maybe played 10 mins, did bugger all. He doesn’t have to prove anything, I wonder why he played at all.
  • Jeremy Smith – see Ben Creagh
  • Beau Henry – nice skills, laid a short ball for a try that sucked in defenders around the ruck. He didn’t shine as bright as Stanley did for mine, but other observers may have seen it differently.
  • Bronx Goodwin – the surprise packet of the day. Was terrific at fullback and was dangerous with the pill. Scored a good try and kicked a few goals to boot. Made a customary howler but he is a Goodwin so that’s forgiven. I don’t know where he fits in the picture, but he was terrific on the day. Finished the game at right wing.
  • Matt Prior – excellent. Went on early and defended like a trooper. He is big, fit and a superstar of the future. Shored up the defence on the left but played essentially a wide backrowers game – may have confused the pundits by wearing # 4 jersey. He ain’t no centre, but a rep backrower of the future.
  • Ricky Thorby – I like Ricky, tries hard and does his best all game. Scored a try off a nice forwards move, didn’t do a great deal else. The new Ricky Powell.
  • Jake Marketo – outstanding, the kid is simply a natural. The only thing stopping him from a majorly long and rewarding career is size. He is very creative with the pill and as with all class ball distributors seems to have an extra bit of time to do his thing. If he’s in 1st grade this year, I’m not the least bit worried.
  • Junior Paulo – was blowing hard big Junior in the heat. Didn’t do a great deal but was serviceable. Hard to draw analysis on one hot day but may not be as useful as Mickey Paea was. Time will tell.
  • Michael Greenfield & Jack Bosden – I didn’t note a lot of either, but the respected word of someone I spoke to afterwards said he liked what he saw of Bosden. I didn’t see anything so will have to re-assess next game. Same goes for Greenfield but his potential will come through – you can sort of tell.
  • Luke Priddis – who?
  • Dean Young/Jarrod Saffy – both did not play.

I think that’s the lot.

3 pts – Nathan Fien
2 pts – Trent Merrin
1 pt – Split between Matt Prior & Dan Hunt

Most exciting for this year – Jake Marketo
Most exciting for next year – Kyle Stanley
Most unexpected good performance – Bronx Goodwin

jpaciocco91

Juniors
Well done guys.
And do the Dragons now have a new design for shorts? I haven't noticed it before. Looks ok.

Bath's Babes

Juniors
DRAGONS DEFEAT EELS 34-20 IN PERTH

Sunday, 14 February 2010
A crowd of 9,450 fans watched the St George Illawarra Dragons get their season off to an impressive start today, with a 34-20 win in their trial match over the Parramatta Eels at Members Equity Stadium in Perth.
Acting Head Coach Steve Price was extremely pleased with the players efforts in the 37 degree heat, with a number of players impressing, in particular a number of young Dragons, including Trent Merrin, Jake Marketo, Kyle Stanley and Beau Henry. Jason Nightingale and Dan Hunt were also stand-out performers in the team’s first hit-out of 2010.
The Dragons started well, with an inside pass from Ben Hornby finding a flying Darius Boyd, who found some space before being put down.
They continued to look the better of the two sides in the opening exchanges, finding some room on the fringes.
Parramatta looked certain to score in the 12th minute when half-back Jeff Robson received an inside pass, yet a desperate try-saving tackle from Jason Nightingale diffused the dangerous situation.
The Eels continued to attack the Dragons line, with some good work from Jason Nightingale cleaning up a grubber kick, saving what looked to be a possible four-pointer.
The Dragons scored the first try of the match against the run of play, when Dan Hunt got away a beautiful offload to Jon Green who found a trailing Ben Hornby. Hornby was cut down 30 meters short, but a quick play-the-ball allowed Nathan Fien plenty of time to put up a well-waited cross-field kick, which Jason Nightingale took easily before offloading to Nick Emmett to score in the corner. Ben Hornby missed the kick from out wide and the Dragons took a 4-0 lead into first-quarter time.
A new look squad took the field in the second quarter, with Beau Henry and Jake Marketo making their NRL debut’s, while Michael Greenfield, Bronx Goodwin and Junior Paulo turned out for the first time in the Red V.
Five minutes into the second quarter with the Dragons attacking the Eels line, Luke Priddis darted out from dummy-half and threw a well-timed short-ball for a charging Ricky Thorby who was far too strong and scored close to the posts. Bronx Goodwin converted and the Dragons took a 10-0 lead.
The Dragons continued to look sharp in attack, as a well-worked blind side raid resulted in more points. It was quick hands from Kyle Stanley to Nick Emmett and on to Jason Nightingale, which seen the Dragons winger fend off two defenders to score a well-deserved try. Bronx Goodwin converted and took the Dragons lead out to 16-0.
The Dragons were denied another try only two minutes later, when the referee judged a pass by Bronx Goodwin to Michael Lett forward.
The Eels scored just short of half-time against the run of play, when a grubber kick was fumbled by Michael Lett and Eels half Jeff Robson pounced on the loose ball. The conversion was unsuccessful by Krisnan Inu and the Dragons took a 16-4 lead into half-time.
Thirty seconds into the second-half seen Feleti Mataeo slice through the Dragons defensive line, before setting up Chris Keating on the inside who looked certain to score except for a brilliant try-saving tackle from young Dragon Jake Marketo.
A sharp backline move from the Eels seen big winger Etu Uaisele crash over in the corner despite a good attempt at tackle from Michael Lett, who almost held the ball up over the line. The conversion was unsuccessful by Inu and the Dragons lead remained 16-8.
The Eels almost went in again two minutes later, yet a Jason Nightingale tackle forced Eels winger Tim Mortimer over the sideline.
A brilliant passage of play from the Dragons set-up the next try, as a rampaging run and offload from young front-rower Trent Merrin, seen some silky skills from Kyle Stanley who chipped and chased before finding Jason Nightingale, who through a behind the back pass to Nick Emmett who was pulled down just short of the line.
The following play, a well-timed short pass from Beau Henry found a charging Jake Marketo who went through to score near the posts. Goodwin converted the try and the Dragons extended their lead to 22-8.
Chris Keating reduced the Dragons lead when he scored off a run-around with Feleti Mataeo close to the Dragons line. Tom Humble converted the try for the Eels and took the score to 22-14.
Jeff Robson reduced the lead even further when he scooted out of dummy-half to catch the Dragons markers napping. The conversion was successful by Daniel Mortimer and the Dragons lead was reduced to 22-20.
The Dragons hit back three minutes later when Nathan Fien pounced on his own grubber kick close to the posts. Bronx Goodwin converted, taking the Dragons lead out to 28-20.
A well-timed backline move by the Dragons seen Darius Boyd find a flying Michael Lett out wide who scored untouched in the corner. Bronx Goodwin converted from the sideline and the Dragons extended their lead to 34-20.
The final score remained Dragons 34, Eels 20.
DRAGONS 34 (Emmett, Thorby, Nightingale, Marketo, Lett, Fien Tries; Goodwin 5 Goals)
EELS 20 (Robson 2, Keating, Uaisele Tries; Humble, Mortimer Goals)
CROWD: 9,450

Dragons Website

Had quite a few slate cans this avo but I'll try n help. I can't really comment on Para players.

Creagh, Hornby & Smith only played the opening 20 i believe. All were strong for their time.

Merrin & Hunt were strong up the middle.
Priddis looked crafty, but gave away his usual penalty at the ruck.
Henry n Marketo were playing well down the left for a period.
Lett n Nightingale were impressive on the wings.
Goodwin was disappointing.
Boyd very soild at the back n stopped a certain try at the line.
Hornby looked to have put on some weight.
Henry looked bigger to me than when I last had seen him. Wish Marketo would put some on. Hunt look very trim & fit like last yr.

If i remember any more I'll post back.

When you say Hornby put on weight? do you he's bulked up? or a beer belly haha

BIKER_DRAGON

Juniors

The main forum's message board peaked at 863 members tonight, which is also a new record.

A good record and high time the forum bought some greater bandwidth as the place was running slow as.:lol:

Red'n'White

Juniors

I think it got over 500 at one stage I think it got to 511.....

TheRev

First Grade
Thanks for the in-depth reviews guys, sounds like a great hit-out to get a lot of the fringe-players some game-time.

I was quite excited to read a lot of players that I had not considered for 2010 as looking sharp and ready (of course we were playing a second grade team, so take it with a pinch of salt).

Strange though that some of the individual player reports are in complete contrast between the different people who watched the game.. but then thats nothing new, its football, and its all subjective ;-)

marty_dragon

Juniors
Thanks for the in-depth reviews guys, sounds like a great hit-out to get a lot of the fringe-players some game-time.

I was quite excited to read a lot of players that I had not considered for 2010 as looking sharp and ready (of course we were playing a second grade team, so take it with a pinch of salt).

Strange though that some of the individual player reports are in complete contrast between the different people who watched the game.. but then thats nothing new, its football, and its all subjective ;-)

+1

Dragonwest

Juniors
First of all, this trial wasn’t a patch on last seasons.

The reason is simple – last season Bennett treated it as a game as he needed to know who was who in the zoo. This year it was treated strictly as a trial – there were blokes everywhere.

For what its worth, here’s some thoughts. Be aware though, Parramatta were ordinary in large chunks of the game and they possible had more out than Saints did. They had a lot of the ball, and Justin Poore did not play.

• Darius Boyd – super cool, chimed in nicely into the backline in the first quarter and safe as houses at the back. Didn’t play long minutes.
  • Michael Lett – quiet day at the office. Did his work ok from the left wing. Was shaky early in defence with Peni.
  • Peni Tagive – very robust in attack, hit the left fringes hard, fast and straight. Good leg drive and almost made some clean busts. Took the hitups directly from scrums. A bit shaky in defence with Matt Prior sent out to help. Looks more a winger to me at this stage.
  • Nick Emmett – never lets anyone down. Very serviceable in attack and defence. The new Col Bramley, if we run out of centres through the year and this guy plays I won’t be worried.
  • Jason Nightingale – needs more footy. Did some good things, did some bad things, did some things that he will do better with 5 or so games under his belt. No need to worry, he’ll come good.
  • Kyle Stanley – terrific. The kid has touch, which you sometimes can’t teach. Threw a few misdirected passes, missed some tackles, but I saw more in him than he produced. He’s a keeper and he’ll go along way, but not this season. Will kill 20s. Looked to have picked up a decent knock.
  • Ben Hornby – was hardly on the field but was very strong in the first quarter when he was on. Nice kick to set up Emmett try and did enough to suggest that he will be permanent # 7 for the season.
  • Dan Hunt – terrific. Made the hard yards, did the big hits, and showed a few nice touches with the pill – especially two short balls before the advantage line. This part of his game has obviously developed over the off season. In for a stellar year.
  • Nathan Fien – I’m on record as saying he wasn’t required at the club, but he was clearly the best player on the park. Very creative, enterprising and energetic. Created good momentum from darting runs from dummy half and distribution was sound. Slipped into halfback at times and was possibly even better in this role.
  • Trent Merrin – we know the kid can play, and he played well today. Shirked nothing and did plenty, and was one of the best on the field. Looked like one who treated the game more than a trial.
  • Jon Green – same bloke as we know, might play a bit more 1st grade than expected due to the Weyman injury. Can hold his own but no more.
  • Ben Creagh – maybe played 10 mins, did bugger all. He doesn’t have to prove anything, I wonder why he played at all.
  • Jeremy Smith – see Ben Creagh
  • Beau Henry – nice skills, laid a short ball for a try that sucked in defenders around the ruck. He didn’t shine as bright as Stanley did for mine, but other observers may have seen it differently.
  • Bronx Goodwin – the surprise packet of the day. Was terrific at fullback and was dangerous with the pill. Scored a good try and kicked a few goals to boot. Made a customary howler but he is a Goodwin so that’s forgiven. I don’t know where he fits in the picture, but he was terrific on the day. Finished the game at right wing.
  • Matt Prior – excellent. Went on early and defended like a trooper. He is big, fit and a superstar of the future. Shored up the defence on the left but played essentially a wide backrowers game – may have confused the pundits by wearing # 4 jersey. He ain’t no centre, but a rep backrower of the future.
  • Ricky Thorby – I like Ricky, tries hard and does his best all game. Scored a try off a nice forwards move, didn’t do a great deal else. The new Ricky Powell.
  • Jake Marketo – outstanding, the kid is simply a natural. The only thing stopping him from a majorly long and rewarding career is size. He is very creative with the pill and as with all class ball distributors seems to have an extra bit of time to do his thing. If he’s in 1st grade this year, I’m not the least bit worried.
  • Junior Paulo – was blowing hard big Junior in the heat. Didn’t do a great deal but was serviceable. Hard to draw analysis on one hot day but may not be as useful as Mickey Paea was. Time will tell.
  • Michael Greenfield & Jack Bosden – I didn’t note a lot of either, but the respected word of someone I spoke to afterwards said he liked what he saw of Bosden. I didn’t see anything so will have to re-assess next game. Same goes for Greenfield but his potential will come through – you can sort of tell.
  • Luke Priddis – who?
  • Dean Young/Jarrod Saffy – both did not play.

I think that’s the lot.

3 pts – Nathan Fien
2 pts – Trent Merrin
1 pt – Split between Matt Prior & Dan Hunt

Most exciting for this year – Jake Marketo
Most exciting for next year – Kyle Stanley
Most unexpected good performance – Bronx Goodwin

I pretty much agree with what Smithtown said excluding Priddis and Goodwin.

From what I remember Priddis was directly involved in the second try with a great pass to Thorby? and directed the ball down the short side on the right for maybe the third? We might be mixing up Priddis n Fien???

Also I wasn't really that impressed with Goodwin for 2 reasons. First of all it was a slack effort to let the ball run deep into the in goal (could have had an early play at it) and then even worse to pick it up and step dead. Secondly he seemed to get dominated from his shoots from dummy half, where as Nightgale & Lett were making good meters and making it to their stomachs.

Latest posts