What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stalled and stagnant Sydney clubs

Ozzi_78

First Grade
That’s true but that doesn’t mean there shouldn’t be some attempt at improvement.

It also doesn’t mean we should be adding a CC team (which is the most ridiculous suggestion ever - if you want a CC side move a f****** Sydney side). We should be looking to grow the sport - add a Perth side, add a NZ 2 side and then maybe an Adelaide/Brisbane 3/NZ 3 for the 20th side - you know places outside of NSW.

The Dolphins are struggling to get a competitive side (so far) so what chance adding another 3 teams ?

If the aim is to thin the comp out so we go back to a team winning 1 or 2 games a year and ultimately dying then this is the way to go.

Perth Red

Post Whore
I wouldn’t necessarily say never

the arlc seems to want conferences. If so there’s certainly a place for a central coast team

the central coast is in a high growth area, the population just keeps growing
havent we learnt that regional clubs struggle as much as small suburban clubs? Newcastle, Illawarra, gold,coast (numerous times), Townsville, gosford have all gone bust, been closed down, merged or struggled. Of the games regional teams only canberra has been financially stable for its entire life and that’s largely built on a pokie empire.

Perth Red

Post Whore
The Dolphins are struggling to get a competitive side (so far) so what chance adding another 3 teams ?

If the aim is to thin the comp out so we go back to a team winning 1 or 2 games a year and ultimately dying then this is the way to go.
Lessons to be learnt!

1. don’t give a new club just 1 year to build a squad
2. give a new club salary cap concessions for signing players outside of the nrl
3. let a new club negotiate with players who still have more than 1 year on contract
4. offer relocation salary cap concessions for first three years of new club
5. allow a new club greater salary cap for players 20-30.

the problem is not if a new club can sign a decent starting team, it’s the half arsed unrealistic way the nrl has gone about it.

Wb1234

Referee
What
What commercial value? They will add fans sure - but fans taken from other clubs.
What about norths fans ?

and the extra tv viewers in Sydney and central coast. Are they worth nothing

and if you really believe that no new fans will be created by a central coast nrl side then the exact same argument can be made for the dolphins too. Guess we should kick them out too

I just googled the relative populations of central coast and North Queensland. There wasn’t a huge difference between the two and I’m being very generous with North Queensland using towns that are hours apart from each other.

Colk

First Grade

Did I suggest in the post they we do it straight away? It should be at least the aim though- you need a national competition to compete with fumbleball, instead of what we have now - a domination of Sydney/NSW sides.

The Dolphins are a victim of the lack of preparation from the ARLC and problems with the salary cap. These are fairly easy to resolve if you had the foresight and proper planning.

Wb1234

Referee
havent we learnt that regional clubs struggle as much as small suburban clubs? Newcastle, Illawarra, gold,coast (numerous times), Townsville, gosford have all gone bust, been closed down, merged or struggled. Of the games regional teams only canberra has been financially stable for its entire life and that’s largely built on a pokie empire.
If you are using that argument then Perth don’t get a team either do they lmao

the strength of rugby league over afl is those regional areas. This is why afl isn’t the number one sport, for large parts of regional Australia they have zero representation

central coast has a strongly growing population

and I’m sure you watched the game on Friday night and saw how packed the stadium was

the station and the leagues clubs are across the road

just to be clear I’m not arguing for a central coast team over nz2 Perth Brisbane 3. But after those 3 sure I’d put them ahead of Adelaide

Wb1234

Referee
You’d be surprised how many clubs are only a main sponsor pulling out away from being in trouble.
Lmao

the arlc increased funding to every club since covid began by around 2 million per club. Even under the old model the funding was 30 percent above the cap.

throw in the upgraded stadiums and even an expert like you could run these clubs

go have a look how much money parramatta is making since the new stadium

Perth Red

Post Whore
If you are using that argument then Perth don’t get a team either do they lmao

the strength of rugby league over afl is those regional areas. This is why afl isn’t the number one sport, for large parts of regional Australia they have zero representation

central coast has a strongly growing population

and I’m sure you watched the game on Friday night and saw how packed the stadium was

the station and the leagues clubs are across the road

just to be clear I’m not arguing for a central coast team over nz2 Perth Brisbane 3. But after those 3 sure I’d put them ahead of Adelaide
As long as there isn’t a SL war inflating salaries and we don’t have to pay three sides travel costs every week then we’ll be ok lol.

I also watched all the games there in front of empty stands over last few years. There’s lots of rl fans in gosford no doubt, but most of them support souths it would seem.

Ozzi_78

First Grade
Lessons to be learnt!

1. don’t give a new club just 1 year to build a squad
2. give a new club salary cap concessions for signing players outside of the nrl
3. let a new club negotiate with players who still have more than 1 year on contract
4. offer relocation salary cap concessions for first three years of new club
5. allow a new club greater salary cap for players 20-30.

the problem is not if a new club can sign a decent starting team, it’s the half arsed unrealistic way the nrl has gone about it.
Wouldn’t hurt I suppose. My point was the talent doesn’t exist to introduce so many new clubs quickly. People will push back on this point I have no doubt but the worst bit is once it’s committed too it’s hard to undo when it’s proven right.

Colk

First Grade
What

What about norths fans ?

and the extra tv viewers in Sydney and central coast. Are they worth nothing

and if you really believe that no new fans will be created by a central coast nrl side then the exact same argument can be made for the dolphins too. Guess we should kick them out too

I just googled the relative populations of central coast and North Queensland. There wasn’t a huge difference between the two and I’m being very generous with North Queensland using towns that are hours apart from each other.

Your argument falls way short.

Most importantly, The Dolphins don’t have 10 other sides within the vicinity of them. Neither do the Cowboys. CC would.

Anyone who follows league on the Central Coast would already have a side and have ample opportunity to actively support a side. If you add a CC side, all you are doing is shrinking the support of Sydney sides, many which can’t afford that to happen. This is the same thing with corporates - if you know the area, you’ll know there are practically no corporates on the CC as they are already in Sydney - where is the investment going to come from?

Secondly the whole point of a second side in Brisbane is to have a game in Brisbane every week. Also, there would be enough people in Brisbane who don’t like the Broncos for a second team to have potential supporters, at least if the Dolphins do a good job.

Wb1234

Referee
As long as there isn’t a SL war inflating salaries and we don’t have to pay three sides travel costs every week then we’ll be ok lol.

I also watched all the games there in front of empty stands over last few years. There’s lots of rl fans in gosford no doubt, but most of them support souths it would seem.
Maybe if you had been to Gosford like I have it would help. Or visited the stadium.

heck I bet if you had visited nso you would want them in lol

Wb1234

Referee
Your argument falls way short.

Most importantly, The Dolphins don’t have 10 other sides within the vicinity of them. Neither do the Cowboys. CC would.

Anyone who follows league on the Central Coast would already have a side and have ample opportunity to actively support a side. If you add a CC side, all you are doing is shrinking the support of Sydney sides, many which can’t afford that to happen. This is the same thing with corporates - if you know the area, you’ll know there are practically no corporates on the CC as they are already in Sydney - where is the investment going to come from?

Secondly the whole point of a second side in Brisbane is to have a game in Brisbane every week. Also, there would be enough people in Brisbane who don’t like the Broncos for a second team to have potential supporters, at least if the Dolphins do a good job.
This post is full of so many contradictions.
If people from central coast already have a side then so do the dolphins

so did the broncos
So did the cowboys

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wouldn’t hurt I suppose. My point was the talent doesn’t exist to introduce so many new clubs quickly. People will push back on this point I have no doubt but the worst bit is once it’s committed too it’s hard to undo when it’s proven right.
I don’t think anyone is suggesting going to 20 anytime soon. Perth next in 2027. Then nz2 in 2032 then either adelaide or brisbane3, whichever makes most sense, in 2035 would be something like possible.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Maybe if you had been to Gosford like I have it would help. Or visited the stadium.

How would it help? Lol
it’s pretty obvious that gosford isn’t getting a team and that’s because it’s serviced by nrl clubs already.
sht even the desperate bears know it And have abandoned the place.

Colk

First Grade

NSO should never be used again for a professional RL competition. It’s archaic

Gosford has a nice stadium but it’s small.

Wb1234

Referee
I don’t think anyone is suggesting going to 20 anytime soon. Perth next in 2027. Then nz2 in 2032 then either adelaide or brisbane3, whichever makes most sense, in 2035 would be something like possible.
Depending on how the dolphins go then the new side can be announced in 2025.

then they will be looking to add another Brisbane team (giving the dolphins 5 years or so to get established) which then leaves the way open for team 20.

the population of Brisbane is set to rise by over 1 million people and its forecast to eventually overtake Melbournes population. With the Brisbane Olympics they are set to have a prolonged economic boom

adding another Brisbane nrl team to cater for this makes perfect sense

especially since the two big growth coridoors in Brisbane are north (dolphins) and west (jets)

Perth Red

Post Whore
It
Depending on how the dolphins go then the new side can be announced in 2025.

then they will be looking to add another Brisbane team (giving the dolphins 5 years or so to get established) which then leaves the way open for team 20.

the population of Brisbane is set to rise by over 1 million people and its forecast to eventually overtake Melbournes population

adding another Brisbane nrl team to cater for this makes perfect sense

especially since the two big growth coridoors in Brisbane are north (dolphins) and west (jets)
can be but I bet you it won’t be, they need to sell the ninth game before they announce another club and those negotiations wont start until 2025/26 at earliest.