What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach
Great news guys! Sonequa Martin-Green has been added to the list of 20+ producers on this show.

Saru has been done raw. A demotion from Captain to First Officer because... writers.

Treknobabble is at its worst here. You're gonna do a programmable matter what with a holo rendering who? What the f**k is going on here? If you've been missing Whispher Burnham and lots of crying then don't despair, because it's back, baby! So is the consciousness transfer whatsamajiggy used to save some Admiral guy which apparently never worked too good afterwards, but hey... writers are stuck in a hole with this Trill character so time to dust it off after a couple or more hundred years. Getting rid of the mole? Holy f**k... about as subtle as a brick shoved right up your ass.

This is not so much a whinge about Discovery, but Star Trek in general... Let me get this straight... We figured out seat belts in the 20th century but this is forgotten tech in the 32nd century? Never was this nonsense more evident than in this particular episode.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Just when you thought you weren't getting enough Burnham action...

Momma Burnham is quickly becoming the Lwaxana Troi of Discovery, where you noticeably cringe every time she appears. Good thing that Daughter Burnham knows how to fix everything, because Momma's super duper nun skills were pretty much useless here. Michael is the savior of everyone once again, including literally an entire species of people.

I really don't give two f**ks about the two enbies on this show. Both of them are so mind numbingly dull (worse than Wesley ever was) and played by two terrible actors. I hope they both die.

Also, the gynocentrism on this show is getting absolutely ridiculous. Here we have the female leaders of the Federation and Ni'Var sending the female captain on a mission to capture a rogue female, with her female sidekick and female mother in tow.

Last edited:

bileduct

Coach
Am I the only one stupid enough to be watching this shit? Are you guys so fed up with this show that it's not even worth seeking out via alternative means?

Eelectrica

Referee
My usual thing is wait for a bunch of things I want to watch on Netflix to be on, get a month or two of Netflix and catch up with everything, including discovery. With discovery off Netflix, I doubt I'll be catching up any time soon.
Not a whole I want to watch on Paramount. Twilight Zone is cool though.

Hope for New Worlds perhaps? Or probably a false hope.

Timbo

Staff member
Am I the only one stupid enough to be watching this shit? Are you guys so fed up with this show that it's not even worth seeking out via alternative means?

I can’t even be bothered to pirate it. I genuinely don’t enjoy it at all.

jargan83

Coach

Yet another streaming service for a show that I just dont enjoy. The wife likes it so I guess we'll watch it but it's not must watch TV, I guess I'll wait for the whole season to drop before putting myself through it.

Bludging my way through TNG season 5 and it's far more enjoyable than the Michael Burnham Super Hour.

Timbo

Staff member
I actually enjoyed series 1 of Picard and I really enjoy John de Lancie as Q so I might sign up to it when season 2 comes out. I'll then have a look at this season of The Michael Burnham Show.

bileduct

Coach
I can’t even be bothered to pirate it. I genuinely don’t enjoy it at all.

I use Sonarr/NZBGet so everything just appears in my content library automagically for me, literally no effort required whatsoever.

I do enjoy a good hate watch but otherwise there's nothing about this show that appeals to me other than the Star Trek name.

bileduct

Coach
Every day is...

... RUOK? day on the USS Discovery.

The part with Tilly and the cadets should have had more screen time in this episode as it was the only legitimately interesting thing that happened here. But of course Michael Burnham needs yet another opportunity to show how sooper dooper important she is, this time getting appointed to some kind of special liaison role between the Federation and Ni'Var. Saru now appears to be finger banging the Ni'Var President and I'm left wondering... who is asking for this shit?

For real... f**k those two enbies. They need horrible, prolonged deaths with much screaming and suffering.

Finally, what is the go with David Cronenberg? The guy comes across as a slightly animated lamp shade every time he appears. Look at him! He doesn't move! He just delivers his lines like a robot with no sense of emotion or... well... anything, really.

Last edited:

Timbo

Staff member
Dude why are you doing this to yourself.

Just wait for Picard and Strange New Worlds. Maybe watch this is if you catch glandular fever and are bedridden at some point.

I don't have any streaming service, but I binged watched season 1 of Discovery on Blu-Ray over the weekend. I thought it was very good myself. Now for seasons 2 and 3.

bileduct

Coach
"Heyyyy yoooo guyyyyzzzzz!!!! We're in the middle of this four hour mission to rescue the inhabitants of some asteroid and it seems like a GREAT time to run some unrelated sooper dooper experiment that requires us to invent dangerous new ways to produce energy that, along with the experiment itself, could and nearly does totally destroy the ship yooooo guyyyzzzzzzzzzz!!!"

Math!

Science!

Autism!

bileduct

Coach
Hahahahahahaha, oh woooooowwwwwww...

So now we have a ship that has become sentient and has... emotional problems that require therapy.

Somebody is getting paid to write this shit, people.

bileduct

Coach
This Reddit thread sums up my feelings on Disco pretty well. And it seems a lot of people feel the same way.

The OP there isn't wrong, but at this point I'm just watching the show to see how f**king awful it continues to be. I don't watch a lot of television shows anymore and other than The Expanse there's nothing on at the moment that I actually do care about. I've given up on the MCU (haven't watched any of the Phase 4 stuff other than Black Widow, WandaVision and Loki) but my life long investment in the Star Trek universe is what keeps me watching. Even bad Star Trek can be better than no Star Trek.

It's funny because you can really see this season how they're trying to address criticism of the show but they're just so f**king bad at it. For instance, they're trying to flesh out the bridge crew characters and give them a little more back story. Previous incarnations of Trek would have a B-story that focuses on that character. In Discovery they really have to shoehorn it in, like last week officer Asian guy volunteered to lead some mission to rescue some peeps off an asteroid. But then they never actually show Asian guy doing anything of consequence, and instead he just thanks Michael later for letting him lead the mission because "blah blah a hurricane once wiped out my house" or some shit. And tonight's episode, Owo girl questions one of Saru's orders and then later in the episode, and while the crew are busily enacting some emergency plan, everything grinds to a halt while she apologises to Saru while telling some story about how she had to watch a sick girl die once. And despite these efforts these characters still come across like extras who are randomly thrown a bone on rare occasions.

Now they're name dropping all of the other Star Trek shows at every opportunity. They had the Archer drydock (theme from Enterprise plays while showing it), Culber goes on about some "admiral guy named... Picard" and Saru somehow became a vault of 24th century history when he tells us about what happened when both Enterprise and Voyager encountered subspace rifts.

These are such piss poor efforts to improve the show in a season where just about every episode this season so far has revolved around someone needing therapy for some kind of emotional issue which reached new depths of absurdity tonight when the f**kING SHIP ITSELF NEEDED THERAPY.

I mean, HOLY SHIT, there was a scene where the f**kING SHIP was too scared to pass on important information to Burnham but was all cool telling Gray (who is much less tiresome away from Adira) about it.

I get the distinct impression the budget for this show got a pretty hefty cut this season. There's a lot more "tell, don't show" going on, there's more people getting more emotional and the Treknobabble is at its all time worst. At least before it wasn't important to understand what reversing the phase whatever actually meant, but now there are these long scenes where they babble endlessly about something that sounds totally SCIENCEY with a lot of jaw dropping going on and I'm left wondering what in the actual f**k is going on here? They just spent a whole bunch of time trying to convince me that some important discovery was just made and I have no f**king idea what they are talking about.

The OP there isn't wrong, but at this point I'm just watching the show to see how f**king awful it continues to be. I don't watch a lot of television shows anymore and other than The Expanse there's nothing on at the moment that I actually do care about. I've given up on the MCU (haven't watched any of the Phase 4 stuff other than Black Widow, WandaVision and Loki) but my life long investment in the Star Trek universe is what keeps me watching. Even bad Star Trek can be better than no Star Trek.

It's funny because you can really see this season how they're trying to address criticism of the show but they're just so f**king bad at it. For instance, they're trying to flesh out the bridge crew characters and give them a little more back story. Previous incarnations of Trek would have a B-story that focuses on that character. In Discovery they really have to shoehorn it in, like last week officer Asian guy volunteered to lead some mission to rescue some peeps off an asteroid. But then they never actually show Asian guy doing anything of consequence, and instead he just thanks Michael later for letting him lead the mission because "blah blah a hurricane once wiped out my house" or some shit. And tonight's episode, Owo girl questions one of Saru's orders and then later in the episode, and while the crew are busily enacting some emergency plan, everything grinds to a halt while she apologises to Saru while telling some story about how she had to watch a sick girl die once. And despite these efforts these characters still come across like extras who are randomly thrown a bone on rare occasions.

Now they're name dropping all of the other Star Trek shows at every opportunity. They had the Archer drydock (theme from Enterprise plays while showing it), Culber goes on about some "admiral guy named... Picard" and Saru somehow became a vault of 24th century history when he tells us about what happened when both Enterprise and Voyager encountered subspace rifts.

These are such piss poor efforts to improve the show in a season where just about every episode this season so far has revolved around someone needing therapy for some kind of emotional issue which reached new depths of absurdity tonight when the f**kING SHIP ITSELF NEEDED THERAPY.

I mean, HOLY SHIT, there was a scene where the f**kING SHIP was too scared to pass on important information to Burnham but was all cool telling Gray (who is much less tiresome away from Adira) about it.

I get the distinct impression the budget for this show got a pretty hefty cut this season. There's a lot more "tell, don't show" going on, there's more people getting more emotional and the Treknobabble is at its all time worst. At least before it wasn't important to understand what reversing the phase whatever actually meant, but now there are these long scenes where they babble endlessly about something that sounds totally SCIENCEY with a lot of jaw dropping going on and I'm left wondering what in the actual f**k is going on here? They just spent a whole bunch of time trying to convince me that some important discovery was just made and I have no f**king idea what they are talking about.
I don’t watch this stuff but I feel your pain. I loathe fan boy service, but geez once in a while, with most of these franchises, they did some stuff for people who are fans and not regurgitate or wink to the past. It can’t hurt do something fresh and original.