What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach

lol... Mike is "extremely bored" watching Picard.

I'm gonna say it... Picard isn't Star Trek.

bileduct

Coach
Nobody else mentioned this and I didn't even realise it until watching the RLM video above, but the entire TNG cast is returning for Picard season 3.

I'm about 100 times more likely to watch Discovery season 5 than any more episodes of Picard, even with the old cast coming back. I'm not at the level Mike is at where Picard and Discovery have destroyed his interest in the entire franchise (including old shows), and I don't think I'll ever be in a position where DS9 is not watchable, but geez Star Trek is just a complete shit show these days.

bileduct

Coach
Great start for Strange New Worlds. I forgot how much story you could tell in a single episode when characters aren't being overly emotive for no reason.

Timbo

Staff member
It was very good. Glad to see them back to the old formula.

I wish I had one ounce of Anson Mount’s charisma.

bileduct

Coach
It was very good. Glad to see them back to the old formula.

I wish I had one ounce of Anson Mount’s charisma.

Finally we can agree on something.

Btw, I did enjoy Lower Decks. I felt like it was aimed at pre-NuTrek fans and they did it pretty well.

Timbo

Staff member
I did tell you that Lower Decks is awesome.

The Khan thing didn’t really bother me, because they had established that in an earlier episode of Star Trek: Enterprise. And it’s just a throwaway reference.

The resolution to Rios’ storyline though… that made me f**king furious.

bileduct

Coach
I'm gonna wait for a few more eps to come out and then binge watch them. I've only seen the first one so far.

I have seen some stills and some short clips of the CGI in the show and it looks f**king phenomenal. They seem to have really pumped a lot of money into this show, it looks way better than Discovery. Some people whose opinions I trust are really enjoying it too.

Timbo

Staff member
I like it how they've continued the fine Star Trek tradition of 'weird disease cripples the crew' in the first few episodes.

What is pleasing to see for me is that they've managed to nail down the mix of serial and self-contained stories. The interpersonal relationships and character conflicts continue week to week, whilst the external situation the crew is confronting changes each episode.

It always sat very poorly with me how basically every episode of Next Gen, DS9 and Voyager ended with a reset button. La Forge is turned into a Manchurian Candidate by the Romulans? Picard lives 25 years in an alien probe simulation? O'Brien gets a simulated life sentence in an alien prison? Kim dies and is replaced by an alternate universe copy? Worf tries to ritually suicide his brother? Paris and Janeway turn into lizards and have kids? Bashir is replaced by a Changeling and locked in a Dominion concentration camp for months on end? Voyager gets absolutely shot to shit and is magically repaired despite being 70 years from the nearest spacedock?

Never. Mentioned. Again.

I like the fact they're acknowledging what happened to Pike when he was on the Discovery and that discussions about characters backgrounds continue week-to-week. We can still have the adventure of the day whilst the characters grow and change.

Timbo

Staff member
Strange New Worlds continues to impress.

I will however never not be amused by just how easy it is for intruders to overrun a Federation Starship.

Timbo

Staff member
Strange New Words: Season 1 finale yesterday.

Best season of live-action Star Trek since DS9 ended IMO.

jargan83

Coach
Finally started Strange New Worlds a couple of nights ago and f**k me it's good.

I also have a man crush on Anson Mount as Captain Pike.

bileduct

Coach
I'm trying to have a crack at it but I am honestly bored with watching television shows these days.

It's looks f**king gorgeous in 4K HDR on the new LG OLED tv though.

Timbo

Staff member
Finally catching up with The Orville S3 on SBS. And, yeah, MacFarlane is just making classic TNG episodes again. He's even introduced a Borg analogue for that show.

It's Star Trek in everything but name, and significantly more enjoyable than Disco or Picard.