What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Trek to return to the small screen.

bileduct

Coach
Finally catching up with The Orville S3 on SBS. And, yeah, MacFarlane is just making classic TNG episodes again. He's even introduced a Borg analogue for that show.

It's Star Trek in everything but name, and significantly more enjoyable than Disco or Picard.

How "Seth MacFarlane" is S3? I've heard it's a more serious show now.

Timbo

Staff member
How "Seth MacFarlane" is S3? I've heard it's a more serious show now.

They’re straight up NextGen episodes with the odd joke here and there. But I’d not even really class it as a comedy any longer.

Timbo

Staff member
I read an interview with his sister (she is also a voice actor on his cartoons and does the voice of the computer on the show). She said that everything he's done to this point - Family Guy, American Dad, Ted, etc - was to get up enough capital with the studios to make The Orville. He's been a Star Trek geek since he was a little kid and all he's ever wanted to do was to write a Star Trek series. Given he was never going to be actually allowed to write a Star Trek show, he's done the Aldi version of it. You can really see how much this guy loves classic Star Trek with these episodes. In so many of them you just replace 'Orville' with 'Enterprise' and 'Krill' with 'Klingon' and you've got a Next Generation episode.

Timbo

Staff member
I’m halfway through season 3 now. The episode about Bortus and his family legitimately made me cry.

I can’t believe this is the same guy that made Family Guy. These episodes are up there with the best Star Trek episodes made.

It says the tweet is unavailable, what did it say?
Looks like it was taken down

Basically, was Robert Meyer Burnett (a well known Trekkie in the media) saying hes seen Picard season 3 in its entirety and its basically one big Next Generation movie. Hes been massively critical of both Discovery and Picard for being too far removed from traditional Trek so if he likes it then it must have swung the other way

Must have been asked to remove it by Paramount

Eelectrica

Referee
I enjoyed Strange New Worlds. Had some really good episodes.

I'm now watching Discovery. I think the most implausible thing about season 4, is Tilly not getting shoved out an airlock.

jargan83

Coach
I enjoyed Strange New Worlds. Had some really good episodes.

I'm now watching Discovery. I think the most implausible thing about season 4, is Tilly not getting shoved out an airlock.

I started season 4 a week or so back after finishing S3 of Lower Decks, I have watched only 2 episodes so far and have fallen asleep towards the end of both of them.

Timbo

Staff member
I just can’t with Discovery anymore.

The most recent serious of Lower Decks though - absolutely fantastic.

Eelectrica

Referee
Managed to finish watch Discovery, a couple of episodes towards the end were actually pretty good.
They need to reduce the length of the episodes. They just fill the extra time with dialogue that is so meaningless and I just don't give a damn about the characters to care that much about their precious little fee fee's.

Mostly I want the characters to wear some red shirts and be introduced to a Dinosaur... with tentacles just to be sure it'll do the job. Actually the writers can meet Mr (or is it mrs) Dinosaur as well.

I'll definitely have to check out lower decks next time I've got Amazon on.

Timbo

Staff member
Picard Season 3.

Episode 1 - the best episode of the show so far. I forgot how good Stewart and Frakes are together. Was a huge error not having him a main character from the start.

jargan83

Coach
I caught the first episode of the new season and thought it was a good start to the season, I agree that Frakes and Stewart were great together.

Can't wait to watch them botch the landing.

Timbo

Staff member
Raffi sucks - but everything else?

Holy hell they may have nailed it. It’s finally the show I wanted it to be.

Timbo

Staff member
Penultimate episode of Picard…

Ehrmagawd. I can’t believe this is happening.

Please get the finale right! This show has been basically perfect otherwise.

Latest posts