What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Star Wars The Last Jedi *** SPOILERS ***

Star Trek lol.

Took one of cinema's most enduring pairings and iconic death scenes and flipped it on its head and absolutely ruined it.

But a cure! Nek minnit Kirk alive n well.

Haven't even bothered with Beyawned.

Anyway. You've got your panties in a twist Mr Spock. Cest la vie.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Lol...Abrams already admitted he just ripped of the Original series but I see you've had to change your tune now to well Star Wars did it too.

Let's go over the flogging of ESB again.....

The Resistance (Rebel Alliance) is evacuating their base on D'Qar (Hoth) when the First Order (Empire) shows up. The First Order (Empire) pursues Leia (Leia) through outer space for a good chunk of the movie. Rey (Luke Skywalker) travels to a far away planet to find Luke Skywalker (Yoda), a Jedi Master who's lived in hiding for many years. Luke (Yoda) is skeptical to train Rey (Luke) at first, but eventually agrees to teach her (him) some lessons. Rey (Luke) wanders into a Dark Side cave and has a weird vision/hallucination. Rey (Luke) leaves before her training is complete to help her friends and confront Kylo Ren (Darth Vader). After an intense lightsaber battle (although not against each other), the experienced Dark Side Force user, Kylo Ren (Darth Vader), sticks out his hand towards the novice Light Side Force user, Rey (Luke), and asks her to join him. Luke (Luke) shows up at the end of the movie to try to save Leia (Leia) from the clutches of the First Order (Empire) and she escapes on the Millennium Falcon (Millennium Falcon). Although it doesn't happen at the beginning of the movie, there's also a cheap knockoff of the Battle of Hoth with trenches, laser batteries, walkers, speeders and a white substance that covers the ground ("Salt."). And it wouldn't be a complete ripoff without the "Dark Side tyrant leading a faceless war machine with a Dark Side apprentice who has a special connection with a Light Side newbie" paradigm. There's even a little Return of the Jedi in it because Snoke (Palpatine) tortures Rey (Luke) in front of Kylo Ren (Darth Vader) and then Ren (Vader) kills his master Snoke (Palpatine). They should just call this trilogy a remake of the original, because it's just a slightly different (albeit worse) version of what's already happened.

But...but Flash Gordon.

You can defend laziness and poor characterisations if you want. I don't give a shit. It's your type that Disneys hanging their future on.

But for a hell of a lot of fans the Star Wars universe ended at ROTJ. Those of us who grew up with the Original Star Wars to see it completely shat upon with some of the stupidest nonsense ever seen in cinema.
Youve gone full genius mate

beave

Coach
Now this version of the kamikaze jump to light speed would have been absolutley fantastic.

It goes that Leia should have died with some dignity in the explosion on the ships bridge and Ackbar should have survived and then been promoted as the next in line. He has some credibility and is a known quantity with the fans of SW. He should have been the hero that stays back and saves everyone by jumping to light speed through the First Orders ships, not some random purple haired cold bitch no ones ever heard of or gives a f**k about.

This is how Ackbar should have gone out.

2gwgg7r.png

This would have been fan-f**king-tastic for mine.

Sigh.

bileduct

Coach
Star Trek lol.

Took one of cinema's most enduring pairings and iconic death scenes and flipped it on its head and absolutely ruined it.

But a cure! Nek minnit Kirk alive n well.

Haven't even bothered with Beyawned.

Anyway. You've got your panties in a twist Mr Spock. Cest la vie.
Star Trek >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Star Wars.

magpie_man

Juniors
Now this version of the kamikaze jump to light speed would have been absolutley fantastic.

It goes that Leia should have died with some dignity in the explosion on the ships bridge and Ackbar should have survived and then been promoted as the next in line. He has some credibility and is a known quantity with the fans of SW. He should have been the hero that stays back and saves everyone by jumping to light speed through the First Orders ships, not some random purple haired cold bitch no ones ever heard of or gives a f**k about.

2gwgg7r.png

Sigh.

Oh man, the "It's a Trap" meme, would've been gold. Gold!

Mr Spock!

Referee
Honestly, f**k off.....can just imagine the anti-cisheteronormal Han Solo movie, where Han discovers his female side......and has an affair with Luke and Chewie....

“THIS IS NOT GOING TO GO THE WAY YOU THINK”: THE LAST JEDI IS SUBVERSIVE AF, AND I AM HERE FOR IT

The new films are again at the vanguard of cultural concerns, but push harder and more subversively than any of the previous films. Above all else, The Last Jedi is about smashing patriarchal white supremacy– smashing it to the ground and starting over– and I am here for it.

Luke sacrifices himself in one last spectacular moment of force-wielding brilliance in order to save Leia and the Rebellion. This kind of sacrifice is something we’re used to seeing from extraordinary female characters (see every extraordinary woman from Charlotte in Charlotte’s Web to Eleven in Stranger Things). In TLJ, the central white male hero of the original films dies to save an exceptionally diverse, gender-balanced group of people who are, as Poe says, the “spark that will light the fire that will destroy the First Order.” Not “save the galaxy”; not “save the Republic.” This is not about saving something from corruption. It’s about ending the old order and creating something completely new.

The Last Jedi has a clear message: The nearly all-white, overwhemingly male, privilege-based way of thinking that celebrates war culture and toxic masculinity and that created the First Order has to go, both in the larger world and as it’s internalized in our hearts and minds, and in its place will be something entirely new, created by diverse young people who are walking away from war culture, walking away from toxic masculinity, walking away from systems of privilege. What new society will they create? We don’t know.

The future is brown, and female, and brilliant, and fierce, does not give even one single f**k about the way things used to be.

P.S. Dear Lucasfilm:

Please attack cisheteronormativity in your next film.

Cackling Along with Yoda,

Melissa

Mr Spock!

Referee

2gwgg7r.png

Sigh.
No irrelevant characters there that we don't give a f**k about there though.......Why would they use that?

adamkungl

Immortal
Any interesting bit of writing or art can be analysed from a variety of viewpoints.
A feminist might see it that way.
I see it more as bringing down a stiff old religious-military order which causes bigger problems than it solves. You could choose to look at this as the writers' views on the churches of the world - I think more likely it just makes an interesting tale.

It's a pretty big stretch to claim that the writers are making a point about the patriarchy. More likely the story reflects and is inspired by the world it was written in, which just happens to include a wider variety of people than white guys.

Caped Crusader

Juniors
Hollywood as a whole is looking to be more diverse and represent minorities in its productions these days. Its the natural progression of our society and art has always reflected that

You could get triggered by some bs article looking far too deeply into the meaning of things, or you could just look at it for what it is. Your choice i guess

Mr Spock!

Referee
Hollywood as a whole is looking to be more diverse and represent minorities in its productions these days. Its the natural progression of our society and art has always reflected that

You could get triggered by some bs article looking far too deeply into the meaning of things, or you could just look at it for what it is. Your choice i guess

I looked at it for what it was......

But that triggered some people.

Mr Spock!

Referee
Any interesting bit of writing or art can be analysed from a variety of viewpoints.
A feminist might see it that way.
I see it more as bringing down a stiff old religious-military order which causes bigger problems than it solves. You could choose to look at this as the writers' views on the churches of the world - I think more likely it just makes an interesting tale.

It's a pretty big stretch to claim that the writers are making a point about the patriarchy. More likely the story reflects and is inspired by the world it was written in, which just happens to include a wider variety of people than white guys.

Yeah sure....Like the vegan, animal rights nonsense.....

LESStar58

Referee
Thus far I've managed to avoid the "politically charged" reviews of TLJ (with the exception of Sargon of Akaad which I did chuckle at in parts).

Look, my attitude is that I don't care about the gender or colour of the character/actor. As long as they serve the story then they've done their job (which is why Phasma Is a total feckin' failure as a character) but I'm still going to have to watch it a few more times before I can form a more articulate opinion of it. Might wait for Blu Ray.

Mr Spock!

Referee
You're the biggest snowflake in here.
Imagine throwing a tantrum coz a movie has an asian character lol

Lol.....I'm just giving my opinion which seems to be upsetting some.

But yeah let's add more characters we don't care about to free the animals......