What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

State of origin series

MugaB

Coach
Can't agree Yeo is far too big to play centre these days. Last time Freddy moved him there he got carved up. Murray was the option
Agreed... but im talking a week ago, when they planned for the 17... not to carry burton or graham was a huge mistake, i would have dropped the tiger prop or had him 18th man, then you'd have some easier shuffling, carrying 2 hookers, then not using one for hooking was a monumental f**k up

betcats

Referee
I actually thought Cook got himself in a good position on one of those shifts and was let down by Addo Car who was three metres in front of him. JAC couldnt even pull off a good dog shot, grazed old mate with a feather. Couldnt clean up a kick for the first try, took out cook to cause another try. Time to go JAC and probably a couple others.

Overall the whole teams efforts was shit. Areas like kick chase, kick pressure and scramble defence was just woeful. Teddy was terrible, a complete handbrake most of the time he touched the ball. In the second half he takes an easy kick return and runs to the defence and just stops, qld defence swarms him and drives him back 5 metres. Wtf is he thinking, he hasnt beat a tackle all series just hit the defence and play the ball.

Freddys biggest problem is he insists on keeping starting his best forwards on the bench. Martin and Murray are absolutely in nsw starting pack under any other coach, For Murray to sit out the entire first half is criminal and Marting came on and played middle, left side, right side. Just let him play one of those positions so the combinations arent constantly changing all game long. Paulo is a waste of space in origin, to big and lumbering, qld just swarm him and stop him easily every time. When he does get an offload it never puts us in a better position. We have one giant in Haas, we dont need Paulo. The best our middle looked was with Murray and Yeo playing together. And Stefano over Leniu? ludicrous.

Munky

Coach
Cook actually looked pretty dangerous ball in hand.

His footwork was quite good. He just had no idea what to do with the ball.

Iamback

Coach
Freddy and Brandy lost the game sitting around the table selecting the side. Picking a broken Turbo was absurd but then not pick Burton in 14 as cover was straight up incompetent.
Luai went ok but that will be his last game I'd say

Nah he gets next year too.

Burton and Hynes are too far back

betcats

Referee
Two series losses in a row, there wont be many players with sure spots next year. If Luai isnt the best in form 6 next year prior to game 1 daresay he will be in trouble, same for Nath. Coach will change most likely, they will be looking to switch things up based on NSW shit performance this year.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Two series losses in a row, there wont be many players with sure spots next year. If Luai isnt the best in form 6 next year prior to game 1 daresay he will be in trouble, same for Nath. Coach will change most likely, they will be looking to switch things up based on NSW shit performance this year.
Cleary is first player picked

Iamback

Coach

Injuries are the killer across the past couple of years,

Should of won still but you had

1st choice 9 and 7 out
Jake Turbo that wins the ruck
Latrell hasn't played an Origin game in that time
Graham got injured
Tom wasn't fit last year, didn't finish either game this year
Murray too wasn't fit

Pearce got the run he did due to no competition, Need the Sharks and Dogs going well to push out either half.

The ladder now, is taking shape and very few players in those sides that are NSW eligible and are better then those already playing

Sime_11

Juniors
without causing hate - Paulo and Haas continue to disappoint in Origin? - they seem to be outshined by QLD forwards who arent in the best of form for their clubs

Lindsay Collins for Qld looks a different player to Lindsay Collins for the Roosters

Iamback

Coach
I honestly thought some of our players were Origin busts due to the drop in performance for NSW.

After last night it's obvious that Freddy was the problem. No player could perform under his coaching unless they are in all time form.

Teddy, Latrell and Turbo at their best were amazing individual players. So good they could overcome Freddy's coaching.

2020 should have been a sign that he wasn't up to it.

But last night was just diabolical.

I said it in other threads.

You only need to look at poor kick chase as an example.
At club land it doesn't happen. So that makes it hard to do what the Penrith players do well.

10-0 down at halftime.

1st set put in a decent kick, lands on the 10.

We did similar v Cowboys and the set they made 17m.

No chase last night, Walsh runs 50m

they score that set, That is the stuff that hurts in Origin

maple_69

Bench
Looking at the way this side has played for a number of years its really hard to judge individual players. You have elite players like Api, Cleary, Moses, Cook, Walker, Yeo, Haas, Murray all rotating through the side and looking like trash organising a play. There are no issues dominating the much vaunted QLD pack. Then you have solid guys like Dearden/Collins and boom bust guys like Ponga/Walsh come in and look like superstars for QLD. It's clearly a coaching/culture issue first, although no doubt there is some dead weight in terms of players like JAC/Teddy.

My side for next year currently would be below.

Edwards, To'o, Latrell, Graham, Crichton, Hynes, Cleary, Klemmer, Robson, Haas, Frizell, Murray, Yeo, Api, Burton, Leniu, Martin

Fullback has a simple job, catch balls, get up field, quick play the balls, simple link man on the right, support the middle of the ruck. Hynes takes pressure off Cleary as another primary playmaker and those guys are the only cooks in the kitchen. You have two impact props on the bench and two guys who can do a tough 55 mins comfortable starting. The best starting hooker (Cook is it this year but Robson is the future) pulls most of the load and Api brings 40 mins of impact. Burton is there as injury cover in the backs/halves mostly and you'd plan to give him 20 mins to rest Friz/Murray, same as the Salmon role at Penrith. Your backline are the 4 best backs in NSW, simple. Staggs could come in for Crichton (Staggs centre/Graham wing) if he continues his formline.

Pomoz

Bench
James Hooper rated Luai a 3.5 and as the worst player on the field. Cook is a 7 apparently and JAC a 6 the same as To'o. Yeo's 48 tackles for no misses and 139m are worth 5, the same as Stefano. WTAF?

I know there are those who say that SOO improves players, but Edwards, Leota and JFH go alright without it. Do our players need the physical hammering and the vitriol? It will be an excellent outcome if no Panthers get picked in game 3.

Black Diamond

Juniors
James Hooper rated Luai a 3.5 and as the worst player on the field. Cook is a 7 apparently and JAC a 6 the same as To'o. Yeo's 48 tackles for no misses and 139m are worth 5, the same as Stefano. WTAF?

I know there are those who say that SOO improves players, but Edwards, Leota and JFH go alright without it. Do our players need the physical hammering and the vitriol? It will be an excellent outcome if no Panthers get picked in game 3.
Spot on 👍

Hooper has no clue about NRL. These idiot Journo's that have never played NRL giving ratings is an absolute joke.

I'm with you, drop all the Panthers, the game means nothing and the Premiership means everything.

Mate put whatever spin you want, you believe you are the man, the true authority on here.

Your not.

Your full of shit, you think your better than the rest of us.

You’ve displayed that time and time again.

Your hypocrisy is breathtaking,
Here, here, well said. 👏👏👏

betcats

Referee

f**k game 3 I hope they all get dropped for our sake. I think origin can improve players if they take the right mindset of learning from the best and watching how they prepare. I dont think it automatically improves players. It gives them exposure to big high intensity games and different coaching and different teammates but with or without origin the cream will rise and good solid players will remain good solid players, talented players who dont work hard will remain what they with origin experience or without it. A good club culture and a personal mindset of learning and working hard is far more important to player dev than origin exposure, I dont think origin experience has played much of a roll at all in Penriths rise. Who did we have in origin in 2019? Cleary? Yet in 2020 we come out as hugely improved team with a lot of players showing big improvements.