What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney new Warriors Coach

vvvrulz

Coach
Kearney made a lot of noise which hasn't amounted to anything, so we're in trouble again.

I'd rather have a player clean out first though

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
Jason Taylor sacked, he might get added to coaching staff! :)
We only 1 place above them!
Kearney will get his 3 years though!

I started to laugh, then I realised it wasn't funny....

That actually just sunk in for me. We had a dud coach for 2 and a half years, who presided over a woefully inept and unprofessional period. In the name of 'contingency', we kept him on as an assistant! Apparently we either a) thought keeping the contingency of underperforming was worth doing or b) didn't want to hurt his feelings c) didn't want to pay someone to have a holiday (which we're already doing with a lot of our squad)

ozbash

Referee
Since Ivan the blame has been pointed at our coaching staff.

I'm starting to wonder if it's justified..

Skinner

Coach
I don't think it ever has been justified mate. With the odd exception, I lay it squarely at the feet of the players. I believe it could well be justified in relation to Stephen.

Rich102

Staff member
OK. You're saying don't blame the coaches.
But the coach selects the team. If he thinks a player is shirking he has the responsibility to fix it.
JD as MD has to remain hands off.
Do we need a director of football?
Take some of the attitude/discipline problems off the coach?

Rich102

Staff member
FWIW I personally think the rot starts at the top.
Get some directors who understand what it takes to be successful in a football sport.
As I understand it Cappy is still here because Watson didn't want him sacked. Poor decision and meddling..

jamaman

Juniors
dropping the ball or missing tackles is something to do with attitude, maybe they should find another job

TheDMC

Bench
We can blame the players and certainly the club culture. But coaches also have to take some responsibility. I am quite convinced Bennet or Bellamy would have this team (or iteration of) playing top 6 footy in not too much time. We have not had remotely good coaches recently and I don't think (and never have) that Kearney is a good coach. Would love to be proved wrong.

Izz

Bench
Two of the biggest complaints from Parra supporters during Kearney's time there:

1) He could barely complete a sentence when talking to the press

And, imo, far more importantly:

2) The team played a boring, one-out style of football, with barely an offload in sight...

Are we seeing the latter here already?

Iafeta

Referee
No. The game against Canterbury, we tried going wide nearly every play. We weren't earning the right through the middle IMO.

In fairness, it's round 3. I will give him at least another month to see how he is doing.

vvvrulz

Coach
My recollection of Cleary was really boring football. Play the sets up the middle with a kick to Manu on the last. Plus we always started really slowly.

I reckon that's a bit of a forum myth.

Suggest you check out some 2007 highlights. Plus our playoffs runs were often amazing.

Certainly less jungle ball, but we knew how to get points up and more importantly defend them like we mean it. It wasn't the flair of Andersons team but I was still glued every week.

vvvrulz

Coach
Two of the biggest complaints from Parra supporters during Kearney's time there:

1) He could barely complete a sentence when talking to the press

And, imo, far more importantly:

2) The team played a boring, one-out style of football, with barely an offload in sight...

Are we seeing the latter here already?

His press work is abysmal to be honest, instills no confidence whatsoever

Latest posts