What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney new Warriors Coach

Leber

Bench
Brendon Lawrence maybe? Not sure if hes any better than what we already have but at least it would create competition.

Penrose_11

Juniors
NAS resigned last week with the Storm
Yes but only resigned for one year. He's obviously hanging out for that bigger contract. Thompson and Hoffman will pretty much be done after next year, so NAS coming on for reasonable coin shouldn't be a problem.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Looking at who we've got next year and Gubb and Kenny M are both still on board. Will be interesting to see what Mooks does with chumps like them. Especially as they were McF specials.

Junior Paulo post match asked by Lockyer how much he weighed.
Tipping the scales at the 126kg mark depending on how he is eating during the week!
We have no one near that!

Blair

Coach
I was just listening to Mornings With Macca on ABC radio and they were ringing in getting a bit misty over the dynastic St George side of the 1960s.

They said the attitude was that there was no first grade, second grade, third grade, etc, but just the 'fifty best players at the club'. It created a great spirit and obvious success.

I hope we don't have too much division between our grades in this respect.

Blair

Coach
Junior Paulo post match asked by Lockyer how much he weighed.
Tipping the scales at the 126kg mark depending on how he is eating during the week!
We have no one near that!

He gave Cleary a 'I know you've made an impressive start to your first grade career but tonight I'm giving you your official welcome'.

Leber

Bench
Not sure if this has been posted or not but apparently Geoff Toovey wanted to come here.

He said so on NRL 360.

vvvrulz

Coach
Not sure if this has been posted or not but apparently Geoff Toovey wanted to come here.

He said so on NRL 360.

That would have been an inspired signing, I'd love to have seen the attitude shift in this club.

ZEROMISSTACKLES

First Grade
When the Warriors come up on NRL 360, Toovey does bring up some good viewpoints on problems with our team and club. Im not certain but I could've sworn he was another one that wanted Tui at stand-off.

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
That would have been an inspired signing, I'd love to have seen the attitude shift in this club.

I'm not so sure. As successful as Toovey was, it was at a club where he achieved legendary status as a player, followed on from one of the best coaches of the modern era, inherited a very professional playing list, didn't have to deal with travel as much as we do etc etc etc. We don't know how much of his successes from 2012 to 2014 were simply following Des' model at that club or flat out coaching chops.

It's not a slight on him but I don't know if he would've been a good fit for us. He would have had none of the above in NZ. No record of rebuilding or resurrecting a squad, etc.

Penrose_11

Juniors
Interesting that Mooks doesn't seem to have made any of his own signings yet. I imagine that there's still a few quality players out there on the open market and even s few currently signed with teams for next season who might become options. I guess the longer no signings are made, the less likely that there'll be any of 1st team quality.

I supposed it doesn't mean there's not a lot going on behind the scenes and things just haven't been announced/ formalised. Doyle does seem to keep his cards very close to his chest.

vvvrulz

Coach
I'm not so sure. As successful as Toovey was, it was at a club where he achieved legendary status as a player, followed on from one of the best coaches of the modern era, inherited a very professional playing list, didn't have to deal with travel as much as we do etc etc etc. We don't know how much of his successes from 2012 to 2014 were simply following Des' model at that club or flat out coaching chops.

It's not a slight on him but I don't know if he would've been a good fit for us. He would have had none of the above in NZ. No record of rebuilding or resurrecting a squad, etc.

Absolutely, but in a club in a desperate need of a Daniel Anderson type shake up Toovey would have done exactly that, if nothing else. Would it have succeeded, who knows, it's every bit as unknown as Kearney.

I'm not unhappy with Kearney, but you get the feeling there won't be much of an attitude shift plus he loves a stupid selection or two.

Interesting that Mooks doesn't seem to have made any of his own signings yet. I imagine that there's still a few quality players out there on the open market and even s few currently signed with teams for next season who might become options. I guess the longer no signings are made, the less likely that there'll be any of 1st team quality.

I supposed it doesn't mean there's not a lot going on behind the scenes and things just haven't been announced/ formalised. Doyle does seem to keep his cards very close to his chest.

We would of spend most of our cap left on Foran.
Don't know if we will be signing many more.

Latest posts