What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Stephen Kearney takes break from Four Nations to lay down law to Eels players

Stagger eel

Staff member
gee some of us can be a little harsh, the quotes for a local paper where his from..should he have told them to get stuffed and given them a "no comment"?

Noise

Coach
We rnt saying he shouldn't be allowed to talk, but maybe he should lay off the media stuff until he starts backing it up with some good form. The fact he was in the papers/tv every week in 2010 just put more pressure on him to perform and he sure as hell didn't perform.

Until he starts playing like a first grader leave the media gigs to the captain.

Gronk

Staff member
I suppose you fellas would take the piss out of and knock back Sam Thaiday, too, because he has a gut and doesn't look "like a professional footballer". :roll:

Looks pretty fit to me.

250_training,0.jpg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
who ever the other guy is, he is struggling to keep up with the blob

he cant be too fit

Stagger eel

Staff member
We rnt saying he shouldn't be allowed to talk, but maybe he should lay off the media stuff until he starts backing it up with some good form. The fact he was in the papers/tv every week in 2010 just put more pressure on him to perform and he sure as hell didn't perform.

Until he starts playing like a first grader leave the media gigs to the captain.

there's a couple of things to consider..

1) it's the off season, the kid has aspirations to improve his game and has backed himself to do it, if he didn't than I suggest we f**k him off.

2) the quotes are for a local paper from the region he's from, please take a chill pill

3) he's more then likely obliged by the club as part of his contract to talk to the media.

I'm sure there are more pending issues going around atm than Morts's quotes on a local rag.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
4) Its the off season for us and we have nothing else to talk about.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Roy-Nelson.jpg

20.jpg

casey-hampton-superbowl-parade-10.jpg

All elite athletes who don't look like Joe Sixpack. Are they therefore to be the subject of ridicule? Dean Widders wasn't particularly fit until late in his Parramatta stint. But he was an effective player nonetheless.

Stagger eel

Staff member
I forget where it was, I believe I saw it in two articles that talked about his signing. Again though, it was just some little rumour they were spreading for excitement value.

I don't think he's ever played an NYC game...

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
I would be [pleasantly] surprised if we found many NRL players who were fit and ready by November tbh.

very true and its easy to take a shot at him atm

I'll be pleasantly surprised next year to see him trim down and make an impact, I've no doubt SK wont stand hm being a lazy 20 minute player

Eelementary

Post Whore
Absolutely.

And if he's still lazy and over-weight by the start of the season, by all means, criticise him.

But I think it's a bit harsh for Parramatta fans to make fun of the bloke when he's in the process of trying to trim down and get fit for his new club. Clearly he was very over-weight and unfit at the Cowboys so he has quite some work to do here. And to be brutally honest, Carl didn't look that bad to me in the photo that was posted. Sure, he could stand to lose a few more kg's. But he looked trimmer to me than when he was in North Queensland.

Noise

Coach
there's a couple of things to consider..

1) it's the off season, the kid has aspirations to improve his game and has backed himself to do it, if he didn't than I suggest we f**k him off.

2) the quotes are for a local paper from the region he's from, please take a chill pill

3) he's more then likely obliged by the club as part of his contract to talk to the media.

I'm sure there are more pending issues going around atm than Morts's quotes on a local rag.

Fair enough but:

1) he had aspirations all last year and backed himself to improve but he went backwards. Not many clubs would want him

2) id be glad if it just stayed in the local paper but i have a feeling the telegraph will b all over him for quotes as the year goes on

3) Im of the belief that many players have media commitments - surely we can spread the commitments around amongst all players so we dont have mortz (and tahu) being the constant go-to guys

Isnt the most pending issue surrounding our halves situation??? All im saying is for our halfback to ease the pressure off himself by backing off the media gigs for a while

Last edited:

Eelementary

Post Whore
I'm not saying the sky is falling. Rather I am saying it is a little harsh to criticise a guy who is trying to trim down and get fit for his new club and hasn't even played for us yet.

If come round 1 he's still lazy and overweight, then unleash hell on him.

But we need to remember it is only November, and he came to us from North Queensland very overweight and unfit.

Plus how trim does he have to get to be effective? If he, say, trims down to 100kg (hypothetically), would he be as effective? It is my belief Carl needs to stay at least at 105-110kg to be effective, and that might mean him not looking like a million bucks.

Of course, it's all speculative.

Delboy

First Grade
Here we go again

Criticism is rife, give me a break, what about talking up our players. The Yawnion boys do it all the time, we death ride everything that happens at the moment

Chill pills needed all round , FMD it is the November pre season after all

Latest posts