What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

Drop Bear

Juniors
News from Qld this morning on 7 was Bennett has said he is interested in the Dragons coaching role and as above a offer is on the table.

gregstar

Referee
courier mail this morning;

NEWCASTLE’S incapacity to honour the final season of Wayne Bennett’s $1 million-a-year contract is set to hand the master coach back to St George Illawarra, which tabled a three-year offer for his second coming last month.
The Daily Telegraph can reveal Dragons CEO Peter Doust reached out to Bennett as recently as a fortnight ago, on the same weekend as Newcastle’s previous match against Parramatta.
The seven-time premiership winner has been in limbo since control of the Knights was handed-over to the NRL in May, around the same time St George Illawarra told former coach Steve Price his services were no longer required.

The Dragons have been pushing hard for Bennett to rejoin the club ever since, having not made the finals following his departure at the end of 2011.
The most successful coach in rugby league history delivered the joint venture its maiden premiership the previous season, and enjoyed a free reign over the football department under Doust.
It’s believed the Dragons offer is a three-year deal worth more than $3 million. Doust wanted an answer prior to the Origin series finishing, and Thursday’s announcement that Bennett would not be at Newcastle in 2015 indicates a response is getting closer.
Bennett informed the entire Knights team of his intention to move-on on Thursday morning, but selected senior players sensed he was preparing to leave several weeks ago.

The 64-year-old said he was departing because of embarrassment over Newcastle’s performance under his watch, but there are also commercial reasons for the move.
Running a tight rule over the club’s books, NRL bean counters decided the Knights could not afford to keep Bennett on the same terms he had enjoyed under former owner Nathan Tinkler.
That left Bennett with the choice of whether to accept a sizeable pay cut and stay, or look elsewhere. Given his standing in the game, there was always going to be interest outside the Hunter.
Bennett’s next move has effectively boiled down to a choice between his two former clubs — St George Illawarra and Brisbane.

The Broncos, however, are not likely to offer Bennett a head coaching role as they have Anthony Griffin contracted until the end of 2015. It’s understood Bennett’s potential role at Brisbane would be coaching director.
That leaves the Dragons as overwhelming favourites to snare him.
Their rich offer for Bennett is at odds with financial hardship that has struck the joint venture over the past 18 months, during which time it has been forced to rely on a $1.5 million loan from the NRL.
The Dragons have also been forced to shift four matches from their spiritual bases in Kogarah and Wollongong, to ANZ Stadium, for financial gain.

A well-placed Dragons source has claimed a private benefactor is funding the Bennett bid. St George Illawarra also made a huge — and narrowly unsuccessful — play for Melbourne coach Craig Bellamy last year.
Caretaker coach Paul McGregor is likely to win the job on a permanent basis should Bennett also knock them back.
“At the time of announcing Paul McGregor as caretaker coach ... we also advised that we would be undertaking a detailed process to identify the head coach for next season and beyond,” Doust said. “We don’t believe it appropriate to speculate on our progress.”

giboz71

First Grade
If he really is coming, was it smart of Gaz telling everyone a few weeks ago that the Dragons will sign "a highly experienced" coach this year, given Bennett's dislike of things getting leaked to the media?

Isn't that the reason why he backed out of a deal to coach the Roosters?

blacksafake

First Grade
I notice the article is written by Josh Massoud & from memory he seems to have a pretty good handle on things like this.I'm more than happy to have Bennett back, :) as for Darius there are more positives there than negatives but i would assume players would have to be moved for this to happen.I wonder what Bennett thinks of Dugan? because i'd hate to lose him as i think he could be just the coach he needs to go to the next level.One of my concerns is would it be like before with a short term success with no long term plans or will there be things put in place to make sure that when he leaves the team doesn't fall apart like before.:?

GT0007

Juniors
I notice the article is written by Josh Massoud & from memory he seems to have a pretty good handle on things like this.I'm more than happy to have Bennett back, :) as for Darius there are more positives there than negatives but i would assume players would have to be moved for this to happen.I wonder what Bennett thinks of Dugan? because i'd hate to lose him as i think he could be just the coach he needs to go to the next level.One of my concerns is would it be like before with a short term success with no long term plans or will there be things put in place to make sure that when he leaves the team doesn't fall apart like before.:?

One would hope Doust learnt his lesson though I think we have a younger team this time around. I wouldn't think Bennett would move Dugan on to accommodate Boyd and I doubt many would be happy with that

Jubileeboy

First Grade

Good points.
I'm just thinking out loud here....

Why not include McGregor as an assistant to Emperor Bennett but make the focus of McGregor's job role to be responsible for the development of players? Something along the lines of....' you need to develop an up and coming squad to be 1st grade ready to challenge for the premiership in 3-4 years time. Your squad must consist of (e.g.)8 x U20 players and 6 x current first grade players and 3 from Cutters that you would/could draft in to 1st grade'.
This way he is given an incentive for the head coaching role but is actively developing and is responsible for players, for that time when he steps up to the plate (if). This ensures we have a ready made stable of players coming through, our juniors are targeted and coached correctly, given exposure to Bennett and his ethos and there can be no excuses for dropping the ball in terms of on-going success.
This also allows Emperor Bennett the chance at his short term goals of winning a premiership but does not stop us from continuing to produce the goods or neglect our future development.

Dezziedc

Juniors
One would hope Doust learnt his lesson though I think we have a younger team this time around. I wouldn't think Bennett would move Dugan on to accommodate Boyd and I doubt many would be happy with that

Agreed - surely Bennett would retain Dugan at centre and shift Boyd into fullback if he follows him back to the Dragons.

OK, there is no surety of Wayne coming back, but if he is, a few thoughts:
1 - we do not need Boyd.
If money is a problem and I assume is, then surely better to try for an ageing forward like Scott.

2 - Progression Plan and Support Staff
As others have mentioned, progression, when Wayne leaves is critical.
At least this time our team is a lot younger.
So that helps.
But also, we should not have to take Bennett as a package - I.e. With ALL of his support staff AND Boyd.
all we NEED is Bennett.

PS - I'm loving Mary, hopefully he would stay, but he may be too self confident for Bennet's liking. Bennett May just want someone who does exactly as he is told (by Bennett)

All speculation, but interesting.

saint.nick

Coach
And made pleasant viewing also.

It's hard not to get excited,but not getting hopes high as yet to avoid disappointment,had enough of the Bellamy saga.

This Bennett talk seems a lot more concrete than the Bellamy talk however...

Redvpassion

Juniors
Good points.
I'm just thinking out loud here....

Why not include McGregor as an assistant to Emperor Bennett but make the focus of McGregor's job role to be responsible for the development of players? Something along the lines of....' you need to develop an up and coming squad to be 1st grade ready to challenge for the premiership in 3-4 years time. Your squad must consist of (e.g.)8 x U20 players and 6 x current first grade players and 3 from Cutters that you would/could draft in to 1st grade'.
This way he is given an incentive for the head coaching role but is actively developing and is responsible for players, for that time when he steps up to the plate (if). This ensures we have a ready made stable of players coming through, our juniors are targeted and coached correctly, given exposure to Bennett and his ethos and there can be no excuses for dropping the ball in terms of on-going success.
This also allows Emperor Bennett the chance at his short term goals of winning a premiership but does not stop us from continuing to produce the goods or neglect our future development.

Very very well said.

That's what I was thinking with having Mary as an assistant. I'm all for That.

To me, mary comes across that he will be one of those coaches that will demand respect and will continue the winning formula once the super coach leaves us.

Very very well said.

That's what I was thinking with having Mary as an assistant. I'm all for That.

To me, mary comes across that he will be one of those coaches that will demand respect and will continue the winning formula once the super coach leaves us.

This is kool ...we haven't even got him yet and we're planning his exit.
hehehe
Love this forum !

GT0007

Juniors
This is kool ...we haven't even got him yet and we're planning his exit.
hehehe
Love this forum !

Funny but true and as per your following post, a succession plan is essential. I think we got caught out hoping Bennett would re-sign. When/if he signs this time there is no doubt he will not stay past the term and may even have a get out clause if he wins a premiership prior.

Latest posts