What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

GT0007

Juniors
:lol: tell me about it.

I think we don't want to get burnt like we have been previously and just want to keep a winning formula within the club once it gets restored. :lol:

I agree but we are in a slightly different position to what we were when Bennett left last time. I'd be extending some contracts when Bennett is in his last year as well. BTW we've won 4/5 so there seems to be some winning formula in the air

rasaint

Juniors
I was one who didn't want to know about Mary.

I was wrong and our team is playing like a unit that respects the coach. His interviews and demeanour mark him as a person that players engage with and trust. He is exhibiting that measured confidence and presence that Wayne Bennett has but Steve Price simply could not generate.

If no Wayne Bennett then stick with Paul Mc.

saint.nick

Coach
If we somehow fail to land Bennett, let's not sign Mary straight away. Wait until the end of the season to see what he does.

GT0007

Juniors
If we somehow fail to land Bennett, let's not sign Mary straight away. Wait until the end of the season to see what he does.

I'm sure that's what we will do, certainly it will be toward the end of the season if we don't sign Bennett though other coaches may come back into the picture

getsmarty

Immortal
Doust to meet Wayne Bennett to negotiate Dragons return

By BRAD WALTER

July 11, 2014, 8:38 p.m.
RUGBY LEAGUE

Peter Doust and Wayne Bennett at the media conference in 2011 announcing that Bennett was leaving St George Illawarra at the end of that season. Picture: ORLANDO CHIODO

St George Illawarra chief executive Peter Doust is expected to meet with Wayne Bennett early next week to discuss the seven-times premiership-winning coach's return to the club next season.
The Dragons insist no offer has yet been tabled for Bennett but he is now at the top of their list to take over the coaching reins after Steve Price's sacking in late May.
Since then, Doust is understood to have spoken to several potential candidates including Kangaroos coach Tim Sheens and Gold Coast assistant Neil Henry.
However, Paul McGregor is the favourite for the job if a deal with Bennett fails to eventuate after he steered the team to four wins in their past five matches and a four-point loss against competition leaders Penrith.
Bennett said after he announced his departure from Newcastle on Thursday that he was interested in the St George Illawarra job but had not yet held discussions with officials from the Dragons - or any other club.
However, he is expected to do so after the Knights match against Cronulla at Redmondis Stadium on Sunday.
Bennett will be in Sydney on Monday for a press conference with Alex McKinnon ahead of next weekend's Rise For Alex round to raise funds for the 22-year-old Newcastle forward who suffered a spinal injury earlier this season.
The Mercury reported on Friday about Bennett making a return to Wollongong next year.
Brisbane, North Queensland and Gold Coast were also linked to Bennett, and his decision to quit the Knights will now force those clubs to evaluate the future of their coaches and consider whether to make a play for the 64-year-old supercoach.
The way Bennett managed his exit from Newcastle followed a similar pattern to the way he departed Brisbane in 2008 and St George Illawarra in 2011.
On both occasions, Bennett announced he was leaving the club he was coaching and said he did not have another job to go to but was open to offers.
He tendered his resignation to the Broncos with a year left on his contract at a board meeting on February 5, 2008, and signed with the Dragons on March 31, 2008.
In between, he is understood to have agreed to a deal with North Queensland and was in negotiations with Canberra.
Bennett did not take as long to resolve his future after announcing he would not be seeking a new contract with the Dragons on March 30, 2011, and signed with the Knights on April 12, 2011.
However, he had already been in advanced negotiations with South Sydney and was strongly linked with a return to Brisbane before he was lured to Newcastle on a lucrative four-year deal by former billionaire Nathan Tinkler.
After he declared that the Knights would be better served by a younger coach who could afford to wait longer for the team to become a premiership contender, Bennett was asked during a radio interview on 4BC whether he was looking to "cherrypick" a club where he could achieve "instant success".
"When I left the Broncos, the one thing I didn't want to do was kind of go backwards in my career because it took so long to build it," he said.
"I realised coming to Newcastle that I was taking a risk and I was prepared to do that because I believed in what Nathan Tinkler was doing.
"I have no regrets about that but the performances this year are just unacceptable."

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...e-bennett-to-negotiate-dragons-return/?cs=302

getsmarty

Immortal
Wayne's second coming not foolproof for Dragons

By TIM BARROW

July 11, 2014, 6:28 p.m.

Wayne Bennett, left, and Darius Boyd, right. Picture: JONATHAN CARROLL

COMMENT
If Wollongong is to become Wayne's world again, have the Dragons learned the lessons of the past?
Paul McGregor could become the long-term beneficiary of Bennett being back at the Dragons, but the club will need to be better in regard to forward planning and the recruitment problems that cruelled Steve Price's time at the helm.
To announce Bennett's re-signing, expected later this month, St George Illawarra officials are very conscious of the club's future.

At the prospect of signing a three-year deal, Bennett will be 67 by the time his contract finishes.
At that stage he may be in a position to continue, but it's quite likely - especially if he can win another title in three years, just as he did in his first stint with the Dragons - he will retire.
Using the ill-fated AFL transition between Mick Malthouse and Nathan Buckley at Collingwood may not be the best example, but McGregor is expected to stay on as an assistant with a view to succeeding Bennett.

Steve Price and Paul McGregor at a training session at Wollongong University. Picture: ORLANDO CHIODO

As another loose AFL comparison, Paul Roos took over at Melbourne to rebuild a club branded a basket case, on the proviso he won't be there forever and a long-term successor would need to be found.
While the Dragons are suddenly back in the finals hunt with McGregor at the helm, they would massively increase recruiting and commercial appeal by Bennett's return.
But they should be wary of quick fixes.
The complications will come, not least by the expectation Darius Boyd would be back in the Red V as part of the Bennett deal, when the Dragons already have no less than three quality fullback options in Josh Dugan, Gerard Beale and Adam Quinlan.

Former St George Illawarra coach Wayne Bennett and skipper Ben Hornby with the NRL trophy the club won in October 2010.

This is where the pitfalls of another short-term, premiership-or-bust mentality can harm the strategic planning for a club.
Surely McGregor, a hero of Illawarra rugby league and widely regarded after serving his time with Wests in the now Coal League and the Cutters in the NSW Cup, deserves respect as a stable, long-term option.
So why did a cash-strapped club that has gone cap in hand for assistance from the NRL make a multimillion-dollar play at getting Bennett back?
Ultimately the answer, in part at least, is about Wollongong rather than Sydney for once.
As written about by Game On since April, there's a high-stakes battle for the hearts and minds of the public between two codes.
Football Federation Australia are assessing the feasibility of the region returning to the elite national competition - at least in some form - a decade after the demise of the Wolves in the NSL.
In doing so, they're bringing the A-League All Stars to Wollongong for a six-day camp.
The Wolves - who moved home games to WIN Stadium this year, at a time when the Dragons have cut Wollongong home games to four - have also made it through to the FFA Cup round of 32, where they will meet Central Coast Mariners on August 20.
Wollongong is also in line to host an Asian Cup squad as they prepare for the tournament in Australia next year.
The Dragons's strategic move to take more games to major Sydney stadiums is designed to help ease the financial burden, at the cost of cutting the game day in its own heartland.
But nothing keeps the faithful committed and attracts new followers - within business and community - more than the return of the messiah.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...cond-coming-not-foolproof-for-dragons/?cs=302

Guvner

First Grade
Bennett said he hadnt even spoken to any other club yet.. so how can it be a sure thing I dont know.

I also however think hes lieing lol.. but personally I think hes mad for not going home to brisbane with his family (though it may be taken out of his hands anyway if they arent interested).

Bennett also made it clear that Darius can leave whenever he wants, his contract has lots of escape clauses.

Mimis was meeting with Doust weeks ago. Spotted by a forum member signing documents. No player signings since, I reckon they were working on this.

TheRev

First Grade
Lets phrase it a different way.. if Bennett was out of the equation.. would you pick Sheens (Experienced) or McGregor (Rookie)? thats a more realistic comparison, Bennett is in a different class.

Cagey Mac

Bench
My thoughts are
Mary would benefit under Bennett and is IMO likely to stay and be accepted
Mary was let go in favour of Jeremy Hickman's team in a strength and conditioning role
Boyd
Nighty
Duges
Beale or Runciman or Mata'utia or Farrell (most likely one of the first three as Farrell is a right-side centre and I prefer Runciman)
BMoz
Widdop
Marshall
Creagh
Rein
Stockwell, Cooper, O'Brien, De Belin, Mason (I'm excited about De Belin and O'Brien)
Scott, Frizell, Thompson, Au Mau, Bird
Merrin
Lots of potential. If Bennett, Scott and Boyd are a package then it makes him the clear choice by miles
He's still my preferred option regardless but I would not be disappointed to see Mary get a couple of years if we make the eight this year.
Pivotal games there are Brisbane and Newcastle away
If we can jag a win against Manly or the Roosters we're looking top 6 and Mary will look very interesting indeed.

since77

Juniors
I think Manly got lucky with Toovey...

Had Toovey been a disaster like Price, do you think Manly would have signed up another rookie coach?
If he had of been a disaster, I doubt they would have signed another rookie. Maybe they got lucky but kudos to him, Manly haven't skipped a beat since he took over and they've been more consistent than the team former coach Hasler went to.

R&WTILLIDIE

First Grade
If he had of been a disaster, I doubt they would have signed another rookie. Maybe they got lucky but kudos to him, Manly haven't skipped a beat since he took over and they've been more consistent than the team former coach Hasler went to.

Agree mate. I still don't think he's a super coach though. Having the likes of Foran and Cherry Evans helps. His bitch whinging shows to me he is unprofessional.

Latest posts