What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

Stagger Lee

Bench
Where else?

Broncs - Possible, that loss to the Sharks would not have helped, but I suspect that if he ever did return it would be as a operational manager rather than coach.

Tits - They would have to sack there coach ASAP for Wayne to go and reported money worries may not entice him.

Cronulla - The smokies in all this speculation. A club that is on its arse but a guaranteed immortal status if he ever won something with that mob.

Dogs, manly, easts, souths, storm, NZ, knights, Panthers are all out for obvious reasons

NQC - jury still out on Paul green but I can not see him getting the punt even if Wayne wanted to travel up there.

Wests - EELS - Potter and Arthur seem to be taking there clubs forward and I see no real desire or need to dump them.

Raiders - I'm sure they are regretting signing super coach Stuart but I can't see them sacking him this season even if they get the spoon.

My guess is that it will be the dragons - but those swamp rats are nothing if not good at spoiling the St.George club at every opportunity.

tumbidragon

First Grade
Where else?

Cronulla - The smokies in all this speculation. A club that is on its arse but a guaranteed immortal status if he ever won something with that mob.
Didn't they re-sign Flano for 3 years just after they suspended him? Pretty sure they did :lol:

Divine

Bench
Dragons are a side he (Creeping) could potentially bring success to, in the next 2 years, with more of a tweak than an overhaul. That would appeal to him, given his current unwillingness for long term commitment. On the otherhand he could see it as time to go "home".

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Bennett said he hadnt even spoken to any other club yet.. so how can it be a sure thing I dont know.

I also however think hes lieing lol.. but personally I think hes mad for not going home to brisbane with his family (though it may be taken out of his hands anyway if they arent interested).

Bennett also made it clear that Darius can leave whenever he wants, his contract has lots of escape clauses.

saint.nick

Coach
Mate missed the show....who said what please...or was it just speculation

It was actually a news headline spoken about by Lara Pitt. It wasn't one of those things where they'll say, 'So Gaz, where do you think he's headed?' It was a news reading by Lara Pitt. But of course, they did replay footage of Gaz talking about us signing an 'experienced coach' before the end of the season.

saint.nick

Coach
Bennett said he hadnt even spoken to any other club yet.. so how can it be a sure thing I dont know.

I also however think hes lieing lol.. but personally I think hes mad for not going home to brisbane with his family (though it may be taken out of his hands anyway if they arent interested).

Bennett also made it clear that Darius can leave whenever he wants, his contract has lots of escape clauses.

If he doesn't want people to know yet, then yeah, what else is he gonna say?

TheRev

First Grade
If he doesn't want people to know yet, then yeah, what else is he gonna say?
Agree..but.. he is flat out lieing the way he said it, where as he could have said something like 'too early, just putting feelers out' or some such.. too wiggle around it if he really had made a deal.

So basically listening to Ikin speak, I still dont think there is any guarantee we have Bennett at all, seems to me he might be waiting to see what Brisbane decide on their coach first, I think hes spoken to Doust unofficially, but I dont think any pen has hit paper.

saint.nick

Coach
When they say 'deal is done' they don't mean pen to paper, just a handshake agreement if you like. I don't trust Ikin, he totally got it wrong when he said he expected Bennett to stay with the Knights...

bottle

Coach
When they say 'deal is done' they don't mean pen to paper, just a handshake agreement if you like. I don't trust Ikin, he totally got it wrong when he said he expected Bennett to stay with the Knights...

Who knows if Ikin even knows anything? Then there is the possibility of him fibbing.

getsmarty

Immortal
Wayne Bennett says he's interested in returning to St George Illawarra Dragons

By Brad Walter

July 10, 2014, 8:11 p.m.

Time to go: Wayne Bennett fronts the media in Newcastle on Thursday. Photo: Jonathan Carroll

Wayne Bennett has confirmed his interest in returning to St George Illawarra after the seven-times premiership-winning coach threw himself into the market by announcing he would leave Newcastle at the end of the season.
Bennett, who stunned players and staff with the news on Thursday morning, said he had effectively sacked himself because of unsatisfactory performances at the Knights during his three-year tenure.
However, the 64-year-old insisted that he had not lost his desire to coach in the NRL and simply felt that the rebuilding of the Knights would take more time than he was able to devote to the job.
Put simply, Bennett appears keen to take charge of a team he believes is capable of winning a grand final within two years, and it is understood Dragons chief executive Peter Doust has already inquired about his interest in returning to the club he steered to the 2010 premiership.
With Bennett having always insisted he would not talk to a club with another coach in place, St George Illawarra would appear to be his only option following the dismissal of Steve Price six weeks ago. But by announcing he was leaving Newcastle, the former Broncos and Dragons mentor has put the onus on other clubs that could be interested in his services to make a decision on their own coach.
Brisbane, where he won six premierships in 21 seasons before leaving in 2009, head that list. Gold Coast, North Queensland and the Warriors have also been linked to Bennett.
‘‘I can only go to one place and I am not sure what the future holds,’’ Bennett said during a press conference in Newcastle. ‘‘It all remains to be seen what I do. I haven’t made any decisions about that.’’
Asked if he was interested in the Dragons job, Bennett said: ‘‘I am unemployed at the end of October, so I am interested in any job.’’
Despite admitting he had decided to leave the Knights after the club’s ownership was last month transferred from former billionaire Nathan Tinkler to the NRL, Bennett said he was yet to discuss his future with rival clubs.
‘‘I just wanted this matter resolved first and foremost,’’ he said. ‘‘I will see what is available now.’’
Interim St George Illawarra coach Paul McGregor has growing support to retain the job but knows that if Bennett wishes to return to the club, he will almost certainly have to step aside. Having said he was not interested in coaching elsewhere, McGregor might be lost to the NRL as Bennett did not have a place for the then strength and conditioning coach when he joined the Dragons in 2009.
‘‘With me, nothing really changes,’’ McGregor said. ‘‘What Wayne’s world is, whatever he does he does. I can’t control that; it doesn’t concern me to be honest. He’ll be linked back to the Dragons, Broncos, Cowboys – wherever he wants to be linked back to really. All I can control is the playing group I’ve got. I don’t concern myself with what’s going to happen in the future because that’s the future.’’
Doust told Fairfax Media: “At the time of announcing Paul McGregor as caretaker coach of the Dragons at the end of May, we also advised that we would be undertaking a detailed process to identify a head coach for next season and beyond.
‘‘We don’t believe it appropriate to speculate on our progress or the candidates.’’
By announcing his departure after three years at the Knights, Bennett said he was accepting responsibility for performances he said had ‘‘embarrassed’’ him.
‘‘Our overall performance this year has been the catalyst,’’ he said. ‘‘I’m extremely disappointed. I’m embarrassed by it.
‘‘It’s time to move on. I’ve spent 12 months, this season, trying to rectify it. And I won’t quit trying to rectify it, but I think it’s up to someone else to take it forward from here.’’

http://www.theleader.com.au/story/2410108/wayne-bennett-says-hes-interested-in-returning-to-st-george-illawarra-dragons/?cs=2382

getsmarty

Immortal
Wayne Bennett firmly in Dragons' coaching sights

By TIM BARROW and BEN HORNE

July 10, 2014, 10 p.m.

Wayne Bennett with his Dragons squad in 2010. Picture: CHRIS LANE

RUGBY LEAGUE
Premiership coach Wayne Bennett is in line to make a stunning return to St George Illawarra next season after announcing he will leave Newcastle at the end of the year.
The messiah, who brought the title to Wollongong for the first time, has had a difficult tenure since he joined the Knights. Trials included the spinal injury to Alex McKinnon and Nathan Tinkler's fall from grace as club owner.
The Dragons on Thursday said they had not spoken to Bennett about a comeback.

However, a source told the Mercury the deal could be announced as early as next week.
In a statement, boss Peter Doust said he has kept his options open as they pursue a long-term replacement after Steve Price was sacked earlier this year.
"At the time of announcing Paul McGregor as caretaker coach of the Dragons at the end of May, we also advised that we would be undertaking a detailed process to identify a head coach for next season and beyond," Doust said.
"We don't believe it appropriate to speculate on our progress or the candidates. This process is ongoing and yet to be finalised, once a decision is made we will communicate accordingly."
While the future of interim coach McGregor is unclear, it is believed he may be asked to stay on as an assistant to Bennett, as Rick Stone did when the 64-year-old arrived in Newcastle.
When Bennett first came to Wollongong in November 2008, McGregor, then a strength and conditioning trainer, was among coaching staff shown the door.
A comeback would be well received among the playing group, especially those who were part of the 2010 premiership win, NSW State of Origin and Dragons prop Trent Merrin said.
"I'd love him there," he said.
"I respect him as a coach and as a friend.
"But in saying that, Paul McGregor is doing a top job there at the moment and he's got everyone's total respect."
Asked if Bennett could repeat his magic in Wollongong a second time, Merrin said: "That all depends on the players buying into it. [But] he's got that respect and I've got faith the boys would buy into it."
Bennett denied having spoken to the Dragons.
"That drive is still there to coach ... I'll make another decision about where my future is," Bennett said.
Speculation remained about interest shown by the Gold Coast, Brisbane and the Warriors but it is understood the Dragons were expected to re-sign Bennett.
Bennett doesn't believe he's leaving Newcastle stranded by walking away from the club, although the Knights and the NRL were desperate to see him stay.
The club had slowly started to get back on track in recent weeks after its administration had been taken over by the NRL.
In many ways the Knights will have to go back to square one given the enormous pulling power Bennett has for big-name players, sponsors and fans.
Kangaroos and Queensland marquee Darius Boyd has a close relationship with Bennett and the club's chances of retaining his services appear to have taken a significant hit.
Bennett said he was "embarrassed" by his poor record at Newcastle since he joined the club with lofty expectations of premiership success in 2012.
"The NRL and those that are running the club at the moment were keen for me to stay but I've been here three years and I don't think our performances, particularly this year, have been satisfactory," he told a media conference.
"I'm most disappointed with what we've done and it gives someone else an opportunity to come and see what they can do.
"The overall performance was the catalyst for me. I'm extremely disappointed. I'm embarrassed by it. No, I don't feel that [I'm walking away from unfinished business]. I've done as good a job as I can do."
Knights captain Kurt Gidley had expressed how important it was for Bennett to stay, given the role he'd played in holding the team together amid the McKinnon tragedy and Tinkler's drawn-out demise.

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/...ett-firmly-in-dragons-coaching-sights/?cs=302

Latest posts