What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sterlo show says Bennett done deal

Minh

First Grade
I was worried about Mc Gregor but he has my respect now the way he has lifted the team.

bottle

Coach
A few other rookie coaches have kicked on ok and won Premierships with the teams they started their coaching career at...
Craig Bellamy
Des Hasler
Philip Ronald Gould
Steve Folkes
Michael Hagan (he did have Joey though).

People get too hung up on the 'rookie' element.
Someone can coach, or they can't. Time is often the arbiter, not whether they are rookies or not.

Dezziedc

Juniors
My only concern with Bennett is his 'defend, defend, defend, run the sweeping play' approach. If he does come over I hope he doesn't stifle the creativity the halves are starting to show and force the team into the boring mundane grind that we won 2010 with. It's great to win a premiership, but I am liking some of the exciting footy I am seeing now.

I'd be happy for him to come back, but if he doesn't, I am OK with that as well.

BrissyRedV

Bench
A few other rookie coaches have kicked on ok and won Premierships with the teams they started their coaching career at...
Craig Bellamy
Des Hasler
Philip Ronald Gould
Steve Folkes

Someone can coach, or they can't. Time is often the arbiter, not whether they are rookies or not.

I think it is more a case of timing and the experiences that the rookie coach has had. A club that is rebuilding after some dismal seasons would fair better under a seasoned coach with runs on the board better than a rookie coach with no sway when it comes to recruitment etc.

In the case of Toovey which is so often brought up, he inherited a great roster with a great young halves pairing which did not require any rebuilding. He now has a good rep and is considered a seasoned coach.

BrissyRedV

Bench
My only concern with Bennett is his 'defend, defend, defend, run the sweeping play' approach. If he does come over I hope he doesn't stifle the creativity the halves are starting to show and force the team into the boring mundane grind that we won 2010 with. It's great to win a premiership, but I am liking some of the exciting footy I am seeing now.

I'd be happy for him to come back, but if he doesn't, I am OK with that as well.

He is a master of developing a game plan to suit the players in the team. Were all the Broncos teams of the 90s and 00s boring to watch or did they not play a flash kind of style at all? No. Because in those teams he players like Lockyer, the Walters brothers etc. If and when he comes, he will develop an attacking structure to suit the likes of Benji and Sir Gareth.

bottle

Coach

Dez Bennett said himself that the approach he took with Saints was predicated upon the playing group he had. He didn't employ these tactics with the Langer led Broncos. They were attack focused.

Saints always took the two, Brisbane almost never did.

He takes on a squad now that is arguably more talented in the backs and in their attacking potential than he did in 2009. Marshall, Dugan, Quinlan offer different options.
If the great man hasn't lost his touch he will give these blokes their head and allow them to create. It could actually end up being very exciting.
It's in the pigs he needs to bolster us in terms of both personnel and attitude.

Dezziedc

Juniors
Dez Bennett said himself that the approach he took with Saints was predicated upon the playing group he had. He didn't employ these tactics with the Langer led Broncos. They were attack focused.

Saints always took the two, Brisbane almost never did.

He takes on a squad now that is arguably more talented in the backs and in their attacking potential than he did in 2009. Marshall, Dugan, Quinlan offer different options.
If the great man hasn't lost his touch he will give these blokes their head and allow them to create. It could actually end up being very exciting.
It's in the pigs he needs to bolster us in terms of both personnel and attitude.

Yeah good points about the Boncos. If he does come across then I do hope to see a more dynamic attacking team - something that is exciting to watch.

Like I said, 2009, 10, 11 were good and it was awesome to win a premiership in there. But I want to see a Dragons team that is exciting to watch and unpredictable. If he can do that while still retaining that confidence in the defense (aka not making me sit on the edge of my seat every time the opposition has the ball), then I will be an extremely happy man.

bottle

Coach
I think it is more a case of timing and the experiences that the rookie coach has had. A club that is rebuilding after some dismal seasons would fair better under a seasoned coach with runs on the board better than a rookie coach with no sway when it comes to recruitment etc.

In the case of Toovey which is so often brought up, he inherited a great roster with a great young halves pairing which did not require any rebuilding. He now has a good rep and is considered a seasoned coach.

Yes and no BRV.
Hasler took on a basket case with the dismantling of the Northern Eagles. He was given time to get the job done.
Gould took on a young up and coming Panthers side that had struggled to get it together for years.
Bellamy was assisted by the residue of cap rorting. Hagan had Johns, Stuart had Fittler and the squad Murray built.
I don't think there is a definitive answer to what constitutes the make up of a successful coach. It's almost an other worldly ethereal thing.

GT0007

Juniors
Yes and no BRV.
Hasler took on a basket case with the dismantling of the Northern Eagles. He was given time to get the job done.
Gould took on a young up and coming Panthers side that had struggled to get it together for years.
Bellamy was assisted by the residue of cap rorting. Hagan had Johns, Stuart had Fittler and the squad Murray built.
I don't think there is a definitive answer to what constitutes the make up of a successful coach. It's almost an other worldly ethereal thing.

Having some good talent helps and stability from the board down. Still no guarantee as when success doesn't come instability is inevitable. Hasler created a dynasty and by prorata as good as Bennett and doing similar things at the dogs that Bennett did for us. He must be a good coach by his recent achievements. But whatever it is really you have to have a good coaching team as you suggest. Even though Price failed as a head coach Bennett doesnt suffer fools and wouldnt have kept him on if he didnt have something to offer as an assistant. Sometimes its just a window with all of those things coming together.

GT0007

Juniors
Yeah good points about the Boncos. If he does come across then I do hope to see a more dynamic attacking team - something that is exciting to watch.

Like I said, 2009, 10, 11 were good and it was awesome to win a premiership in there. But I want to see a Dragons team that is exciting to watch and unpredictable. If he can do that while still retaining that confidence in the defense (aka not making me sit on the edge of my seat every time the opposition has the ball), then I will be an extremely happy man.

Said something similar recently myself and I agree with you both. Bennett had a clear path to a premiership when he came in 2009 and he delivered no doubt on what he thought we were missing. Can't argue with success and he may have a completely different approach with our current roster, I guess the best coaches work with and tweak the roster they have. We probably had the roster to win a comp at some point previously as we had been in the GF 4 times in the 90's only matched by Brisbane but we didnt know how to win one. As we don't know the budgets Doust has had to work with and he could not have pre-empted the success of Mary he has done a reasonable job with recruiting to have Bennett interested again. I'm sure a few other coaches are salivating of a chance with our roster. with the talent we have, a good game plan and team spirit are the basics which are currently working and Mary has the team buying into it. I'm excited about this year though we may suffer a slight lull over the next 3 weeks we will come home strong. I'm enjoying some things we are doing which ever the top sides will struggle with if we have even position

GT0007

Juniors
Craig Bellamy
Des Hasler
Philip Ronald Gould
Steve Folkes

That is a valid point with rookies, they can coach or they cant. Unfortunately most come thru when a club is in dire straights and either doesn't have a budget, an answer or no forward planning so alot fail. Toovey walked in like Price with a premiership winning team and has done very well....better than Price. You win some you lose some and if we dont get Bennett IMO in early days Mary can be a great coach. Even though it is Park footy he did win 3 premierships in a row, better than losing them. He has won 4 from last 5......better than losing them

Slippery Morris

First Grade
And has made some big calls like moving Duges to centre. Not many rookies would make a move like that in their first few games. Their completion rates have improved dramatically as well since he joined. They usually hit mid 80's which is a huge factor in why they are winning games. Before that they would be high 50's to mid 60's and you can't win many games doing that. Their defence has imporved dramatically as well. All comes down to attitude and Mary has imporved that dramatically. The Manly game will be a huge test but if they put in an effort like they did against the Storm it will be a pretty tight game.

saint.nick

Coach

He's not a one trick pony, the style his team plays is according to their own attributes. This certainly wasn't the case at the Broncos, because they had a lot of flair in their backline. When he was with us, we didn't have crafty halves or an explosive back line player (apart from Gaz who took a while to resettle) who could bring that exciting flair.

If you look at the team today, there is a lot more potential for exciting, creative attack. We have Widdop, Dugan, Benji; halves which can take the line on and draw defenders; and an explosive, supremely good fullback. Soward was great for us, but he was still very limited, and Wayne Bennett worked around that really well. Your attack won't be as exciting when one half refuses to take on the line (and as a result draw defenders and create more ball playing opportunites), and your other half is near retirement, who's job is to just steer the team.

Wayne Bennett is a 7 time premiership coach, I'm sure he knows to to develop more creative set plays than what we were limited to in 2009-11. I'm certain the players know as well.

possm

Coach
It's true that our players have stepped up under Mary and I am certain they will step even further under Bennett.

Technique

Juniors
Craig Bellamy
Des Hasler
Philip Ronald Gould
Steve Folkes

This is undoubtedly true, however it does miss the point slightly. Inexperience within itself doesn't make a coach poor, but if a coach is inexperienced then you don't really have a good idea of whether he's a good coach or not; there's little real evidence.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Yeah Bennett was limited with Soward and Hornby in the halves and to win a comp with them there was a huge effort indeed. Whatever works I suppose and it sure did. I am sure they wont be as mundane as they were then.

I think Quinlan will be the biggest benefactor having Bennett there as he has the potential to be a lockyer type player and probably be ready to move to the halves once Benji has retired. I also think Stockwell, Frizzell and De Belin will improve heaps under Bennett.

GT0007

Juniors
Yeah Bennett was limited with Soward and Hornby in the halves and to win a comp with them there was a huge effort indeed. Whatever works I suppose and it sure did. I am sure they wont be as mundane as they were then.

I think Quinlan will be the biggest benefactor having Bennett there as he has the potential to be a lockyer type player and probably be ready to move to the halves once Benji has retired. I also think Stockwell, Frizzell and De Belin will improve heaps under Bennett.

+1 with a side note that Soward was one of our best ever IMO when he was at his peak. Watch a highlights reel! Daly M 5/8 in 2009 and runner up as overall Daly M

RednWhite

Bench
+1 with a side note that Soward was one of our best ever IMO when he was at his peak. Watch a highlights reel! Daly M 5/8 in 2009 and runner up as overall Daly M

I totally agree. His kicking game was the key to our success. Bennett made most of what he had and he used Soward's strengths brilliantly.

Latest posts