What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Matai - give yourself an uppercut!

bennoonthehill

Juniors
weak excuse? i used a perfect example of mr matai's tough guy attitude... he hits people when they cant see it coming.

he back peddled from heighinton... and also got bashed on the mean streets of manly.... remember that?

they're on a footy field ffs, if they're not ready to get hit when they're carrying the ball then maybe they should think about taking up a different sport.

and the bashing you refer to is in fact a good reflection on his character - when approached by idiots who wanted a blue he was clever enough to not retaliate, as he knew how sucha story would reflect on his club and the game. i shouldn't expect a halfwit like yourself to be able to tell the difference between doing the right the thing and 'getting bashed'.

eagles4eva

First Grade
Matai cleared, no NRL judiciary charges

AAP Mon, 26 Jul 2010 13:00:26
Manly centre Steve Matai has escaped suspension for his high tackle on Wests Tigers skipper Robbie Farah.
No charges were laid by the NRL's match review committee out of the weekend's round 20 matches.
Matai was placed on report after catching Farah high late in the first half of Sunday's win to the Sea Eagles at Bluetongue Stadium.
The fiery Sea Eagles back was then sin-binned after taking exception to Farah staying down after what he deemed to be minimal contact.
Brisbane and the Sydney Roosters will complete the round at Suncorp Stadium on Monday night
http://www.nrl.com/news/news/newsarticle/tabid/10874/newsid/59553/matai-cleared-no-nrl-judiciary-charges/default.aspx

Eagle_Rocker

Juniors
Hahaha it's quite funny seeing all these keyboard heroes calling Matai a weak cat etc. I bet none of you would say it to his face or run at him on a footy field.

You would all love him and his style of play if he played for your clubs.

Matai having a go at someone for feigning injury.

That is rich.

I think he did clutch at his forearm after he hit him as well.

The bloke is a turkey.

Patorick

Staff member
Last I checked the scoreboard reads 38-20 to Manly. That's really all that should matter.

Matai is no angel, it was wrong of him to slap Farah on the back like that, but the criticism Matai has copped from some sections (eg Morrow and Ryan on ABC) is ridiculous. Matai has never kicked someone in the face (Slater), knee'd someone in the face (Bird), squeezed someone's testicles (Gallen) or racially abused anyone (Gallen).

He plays a high risk hard hitting style. Sometimes it comes unstuck, but it's a contact sport and accident's happen. Do any of you seriously think Matai goes out there to deliberately hit people late and or high?

Oh and IF Manly released Matai tomorrow, would you want him and his style at your club or not? Especially you Cronulla and Warriors fans, because if he does go, it will probably be to you.

As for Farah, will be interesting to see if and when he or his coach complain the next time someone stays down after a high/late shot against his team.

One more thing: yes he has issues with respect for the referees. Needs some anger management there, can't deny that.

Last edited:

Bulldog Force

Referee
Hahaha it's quite funny seeing all these keyboard heroes calling Matai a weak cat etc. I bet none of you would say it to his face or run at him on a footy field.

You would all love him and his style of play if he played for your clubs.
I questioned his dog act, not his playing ability (although many people are sick and tired of seeing him go down all the time).

Apey

Staff member
f**k you're a dumb merkin. You are carrying on like the "slap" on the back is like getting hit with an anvil. I'm not debating the binning, no-one has been. Everyone is basically calling you a softcock pea-hearted wimp, go and play Table Tennis or something.

Now now... table tennis ftw.

xcrap

Bench
Surprised Farah didn't go down clutching his shoulder when Matai slapped him. That would have seen Matai get sent off for the game.

Harold Bishop

Juniors
weak excuse? i used a perfect example of mr matai's tough guy attitude... he hits people when they cant see it coming.

he back peddled from heighinton... and also got bashed on the mean streets of manly.... remember that?
Being an Eels fan i'm sure you would remember that epic hit (seen in most youtube tackle highlights) he put on Eric Grothe Jr a few years back.... Head on too :D.

Running away from Heighnington? Please he was walking back to the defensive line, saw Heighnington acting like a hero, turned around and was all up in his face. Not to mention still trying to fight him after being sin binned.

Broncos fan!

Juniors
I have never been a fan of Matai, but I really enjoyed watching what he did. I though it was hilarious and I saw nothing wrong with what he did. I actually have a new found respect towards Matai now.

Ulysseus

Bench
A slap on the back particularly after you've suffered a mild concussion doesn't do you any favors. It's not so much the pain he caused Farah with the slap, it's the intent in it. He just knocked the guy out and then goes and does that to him. Look at what happened when Michael Weyman did the dangerous tackle on Wade McKinnon - he acknowledge what he did was wrong instantly and went over to him and apologised - all is well.

The bold bits are the ones up for debate, knocked out my f**king arse and ditto mild concussion.
The bloke took a dive and was in the media today denying denying denying.
Matai should have cracked him one in the jaw.
As for Weyman on McKinnon, it was an accident, but he got 4 weeks none the less, because it actually happened.
Matai has already been informed that no case exists against him, a vindication if you will and almost an admission that Farah was foxing.

hutch

First Grade
Being an Eels fan i'm sure you would remember that epic hit (seen in most youtube tackle highlights) he put on Eric Grothe Jr a few years back.... Head on too :D.

Running away from Heighnington? Please he was walking back to the defensive line, saw Heighnington acting like a hero, turned around and was all up in his face. Not to mention still trying to fight him after being sin binned.

act like a hero? matai was the one acting like a hero, cop your penalty like anyone else would when they go high (regardless of any supposed injury to farah) and get back in the defensive line. he had no right to touch farah and was rightly sin binned.
matai is a top player and could be a great player if he wasnt such a tool, but he is by far the biggest tool in the comp!

Springs

First Grade
I have always thought Matai was a sook. The amount of times he stays down injured is unbelievable, I didn't know about any nerve damage if that is why he stays down, but I haven't seen him stay down to milk a penalty. He is always clutching at a shoulder.

Farah's act yesterday was truly one of the lowest acts of diving I have seen. He truly has overtaken Matai in the cat/sook department.

supersoniceagle

Juniors
It all made for some entertaining viewing at the end of the day. That is why our game is so great, in the heat of the battle emotions take over and players get fired up.

i'm not sure i've seen anyone claim he didn't deserve to go to the bin. it was stupid, he should have just shook it off and got on with the game. people are taking issue with farah being soft.

yep as soft as the props now days that keep turning there backs in tackles :?

btw the hate for farah is awesome,i remember there used to be the same kinda hate from another former tigers hooker :D

Last edited:

Latest posts