What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Steve Matai - give yourself an uppercut!

Danish

Referee
Matai is indeed a dog, however he was in the right yesterday.

An example of Matai's dog behaviour was seen a few years ago (in 2006 I believe) when he tackled Craig Wing into touch. Not content with just carrying him over the sideline, he continued to drag him and purposely threw him into the advertising fence. One of the lower acts I've seen in the last 10 years for sure.

But canine or not Matai's reputation takes nothing away from the fact Farah went down like a cat. In fact, it probably lends more credence to the allegation of Farah's dive since he would know laying down from a Matai hit would be more likely to result in a penalty.

Springs

First Grade
Farah threw the ball over the sideline so of course it had to be someone else's fault. If a Tigers game (or a NSW game) is ever won because of Farah's blatant milking like yesterday, I will be ashamed.

Matai went over and patted him on the back, probably said good dive mate or something. Farah didn't go on with it but for some reason Heighington thought he should. If Matai was sent then Heighington should also have been for going on with it.

RugbyHighlights

Juniors
Matai is indeed a dog, however he was in the right yesterday.

An example of Matai's dog behaviour was seen a few years ago (in 2006 I believe) when he tackled Craig Wing into touch. Not content with just carrying him over the sideline, he continued to drag him and purposely threw him into the advertising fence. One of the lower acts I've seen in the last 10 years for sure.

Haven't seen or head anything about that. :oops:

Anything else? As I say he's always seemed pretty clean from what I've seen of him, but that'd explain why people don't like him... Saying that, most Manly players are hated lol

Danish

Referee
I'm sure others can give more examples as I only really have memory of stuff when they play Easts, and given the regular towel ups they've dished us out over the past 3 years he hasn't had much to fire up about in recent times against us!

In general Matai just has that bit of extra niggle in his game which people don't like.

Not at Gallen levels. More Thaiday or Bird.

CanadianEagle

Juniors
macdyver2.jpg

sooperdooper

First Grade
I think Matai gets an unfair rap. I've thought that for years. I still can't understand why he's so intensely disliked.

The only poor form I remember from him is when he threw a ball at a British players head and him and Senior had a bit of a blow up.

All my years watching the NRL I don't know what he's done wrong, other than hitting like an amtrak train.

If anyone deserves punishment for the incident its Heighington for blowing something into nothing and trying to start a fight.

How is Matai a grub. Have I missed something?

matai is a grub of the highest order... it is how he carries himself on the field.

his 'hits' always seem to have an element of a dog shot.. from the side, behind....

juro

Bench
I can't recall Farah taking a dive in any other game. I actually recall a few weeks ago that he got hit high and got up quickly rather than stay down and milk the penalty.

Eels Dude

Coach
Probably not the best example given Farah's dive... but Matai has and always will be a cat. He's proven this long before yesterday's game.

Mickyd39

Juniors
I wonder if the bloke that smashed Matai and Whatmong earlier this year gave him a pat on the back for taking a dive.

oval

Juniors
I support Manly and I love having such a good, hard player in the team. Don't care if he likes a niggle or can be hotheaded - he runs hard, tackles hard and doesn't mince around like a dandy. Gimme Matai over Farah anyday.

Eels Dude

Coach
I support Manly and I love having such a good, hard player in the team. Don't care if he likes a niggle or can be hotheaded - he runs hard, tackles hard and doesn't mince around like a dandy. Gimme Matai over Farah anyday.

Matai stays down after a hard tackle more than any other player in the NRL. May not be diving as he's probably actually hurt more often than not. But he's pretty soft. Every single game it seems like there's at least one occasion where he's tackled and struggles to get up clutching his arm or something.

Sleep

Juniors
Matai has an exposed/damaged nerve in his shoulder/neck. I've got a friend with the same problem. If it gets hit in the wrong spot it feels like your arm is on fire and you generally lose feeling in it afterwards.

It's not a something that can be fixed either. Only managed. He plays the game harder than most anyhow so he's more likely to get hurt.

CliffyIsGod

First Grade
Matai stays down after a hard tackle more than any other player in the NRL. May not be diving as he's probably actually hurt more often than not. But he's pretty soft. Every single game it seems like there's at least one occasion where he's tackled and struggles to get up clutching his arm or something.

Weakest comparison ever.

MadEagle

Juniors
If you actually look closley you can see matai laughing when he goes up to give him a pat.

Just an acknowledgment for some great acting.

bennoonthehill

Juniors
matai is a grub of the highest order... it is how he carries himself on the field.

his 'hits' always seem to have an element of a dog shot.. from the side, behind....

there has been some pretty epic stupidity in this thread, but you just took the cake. if a player is running sideways, should the tackler run around and get himself front on before tackling? and what happens if a slower player makes a line break? should the chasers not tackle until they have managed to run past the attacker so they can take them head on?

thats the weakest excuse to take a potshot at matai i've ever seen. its not like there's any shortage of good reasons for a crack at him, which makes your post all the more pathetic.

Latest posts